Why become a member? ×

Excessive finger noise on A string with Realist pickup

Clarky

Been playing my new Eminence EUB today. With the Platinum Pro EQ I can get it sounding amazingly DB-like when amplified. One small problem though - the D and G strings sound superb and the E nearly as clear (its fractionally muddier), but the A seems to be picking up excessive amounts of finger noise, resulting in a popping type noise that becomes intrusive if you have to play faster pizzicato bits on the A. Is this the string (Innovation Honey), the interaction with the string/bridge/pickup (David Gage Realist), or perhaps the action (whch I have set quite low; albeit I tried raising it and there wasn't any real difference)? Any thoughts gratefully received. Cheers Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='1031357' date='Nov 21 2010, 01:22 PM']Been playing my new Eminence EUB today. With the Platinum Pro EQ I can get it sounding amazingly DB-like when amplified. One small problem though - the D and G strings sound superb and the E nearly as clear (its fractionally muddier), but the A seems to be picking up excessive amounts of finger noise, resulting in a popping type noise that becomes intrusive if you have to play faster pizzicato bits on the A. Is this the string (Innovation Honey), the interaction with the string/bridge/pickup (David Gage Realist), or perhaps the action (whch I have set quite low; albeit I tried raising it and there wasn't any real difference)? Any thoughts gratefully received. Cheers Clarky[/quote]

Have you tried replacing the supplied A string?

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1031363' date='Nov 21 2010, 01:28 PM']Have you tried replacing the supplied A string?[/quote]
It is a replacement, it came stock with D'Addario Helicores which are too taut for my liking, so I swapped over for a set of Innovation Honeys last night. TBH, I think I prefer Silver Slaps to Honeys (even lower tension) so I will probably swap over again in the next week or so. I am just concerned that there's an issue with certain frequencies with the new bass/pickup. Do you think I should try swapping back the Helicore A as an experiment?

[quote name='Clarky' post='1031369' date='Nov 21 2010, 01:32 PM']It is a replacement, it came stock with D'Addario Helicores which are too taut for my liking, so I swapped over for a set of Innovation Honeys last night. TBH, I think I prefer Silver Slaps to Honeys (even lower tension) so I will probably swap over again in the next week or so. I am just concerned that there's an issue with certain frequencies with the new bass/pickup. Do you think I should try swapping back the Helicore A as an experiment?[/quote]

Start with the most likely issue and work up mate. Strings - PUP - nut - bridge - board - instrument. How is it acoustically - could also be PUP/pre/amp based?

C

And just a thought, my new DB has far more projection on the E than my old one, so I'm getting used to playing that string with less energy (the habit of applying greater energy to the E on the old bass had definitely transferred to the new). Could be something along these lines also?

But it's likely the string. There was another thread earlier this week on the same issue

C

Thanks Chris. On family duty now but will try swapping over for a different A (Helicore or Thomastik Superflexible) later today and see if its sorts the problem. Its not horrendous but it is a bit annoying and only happens on the A so it sorta gets my goat! Has also occurred to me that the Helicores came with felt pads at the end of the strings which cushioned the brass ball-end against the metal tail-piece ... so maybe I should try installing the felt pad on the A as well?

Edited by Clarky

Well, I just swapped the 'A' temporarily for a Silver Slap 'A' from my DB (and added the cushioning felt pad between string ball end and tail piece) and there was no discernible difference, so I guess I am just going to have to play around with amp/EQ settings until I fix the problem. It did, though, reinforce that I prefer the (even) lower-tension feel of Silver Slaps so I will definitely swap the strings over later this week.

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='walbassist' post='1031479' date='Nov 21 2010, 03:22 PM']I wonder is putting a felt pad or a bit of tape between the A string and the bridge might take the edge of the harshness?[/quote]
Thanks for suggestion mate! I tried a bit of bridge foam between string and bridge but no difference. Think I will wait until I try a whole set of Silver Slaps before fiddling further. Played along to Rattlin Bone CD this afternoon and the Eminence felt great (so it should be nicer still with Silver Slaps), just need to sort this slight niggle out.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1031678' date='Nov 21 2010, 06:46 PM']Thanks for suggestion mate! I tried a bit of bridge foam between string and bridge but no difference. Think I will wait until I try a whole set of Silver Slaps before fiddling further. Played along to Rattlin Bone CD this afternoon and the Eminence felt great (so it should be nicer still with Silver Slaps), just need to sort this slight niggle out.[/quote]

You need to get someone to listen to different areas of the bass when you play it acoustically to check whether it's not the bass mate. Play them the noise in question first so they know what they're listening for

C

Have you checked that the bridge is sitting perfectly flat on the pickup following your string change? I've found that as the new strings settle in, the bridge tilts fractionally and loses contact with the Realist pickup.

I don't know about a popping noise but my Eminence certainly sounds very thin when this hapens.

[quote name='TheRev' post='1032281' date='Nov 22 2010, 09:56 AM']Have you checked that the bridge is sitting perfectly flat on the pickup following your string change? I've found that as the new strings settle in, the bridge tilts fractionally and loses contact with the Realist pickup.

I don't know about a popping noise but my Eminence certainly sounds very thin when this hapens.[/quote]
Thanks for that, I will check this out tonight.

I guess popping is over-stating it, its more that the finger plucking the string produces a percussive noise that is just about as loud as the note itself. Playing with the meat of the finger reduces this but if Ihave to play a fast passage, I have to use the fingertips to pluck and here it becomes problematic

Eminence's reply to my question (via SMART distribution) about the finger noise on the 'A':

'Have your customer dampen the ringing strings between the bridge and tailplate. Cut of piece of foam about an 1.5"wide by 6" long, maybe an inch thick. Place the foam on top of the center 2 strings midway between the tailplate and the bridge. Then tuck the ends of the foam under the outside two strings. Once the player goes and gigs with the bass, he maybe happy to have the extra string attack. I've never had anyone come forth with this comment".

I don't really see that I should have to stuff a piece of foam in the bass and I don't want extra string attack in one string only! So I don't find this reply that helpful, unfortunately, other than that hearing noone else has made this comment. I am hopeful that by replacing the strings and re-siting the bridge (as suggested above) and carefully siting the Realist pickup I can fix the issue without recourse to bits of foam.

Hey Clarky - slight tangent but you may want to hold onto the foam for dampening the afterlength of the strings. This is a real culprit in generating feedback live on the upright, especially the Eminence. Sorry to hear you're having some teething problems with the bass. Hopefully checking the bridge will help. I travel a fair bit with mine and have often found that the bridge needs re-adjusting for the first few days after assembling it.