Why become a member? ×

GOD.... I LOVE JAZZ

Bilbo

On 29/10/2022 at 13:45, Leonard Smalls said:

I take great delight in making a great show of putting on a record for guests, saying this is some kickin' jazz. Their faces usually fall a bit as they're expecting something smooth'n'after-dinnery, but at least they'll be able to ignore it and have a chat. Then Brotzmann's "Machine Gun starts up and they're usually shrieking and running for the door in seconds, unless they've had many hours hardening themselves with some Gateway Jazz, like Ornette or Steve Lacy.

:D

Now this is how you are supposed to play real jazz (an all stars avantgarde/free jazz quartet with some of my favorite players on their respective instruments, featuring Peter Brötzmann as well) :

And I am not even being ironic, I love this, one of my absolute favorite YouTube concert clips.

That said though I do love Bill Frisell too, and not just his early more experimental stuff, this is absolutely beautiful:

Another favorite of mine is Medeski Martin & Wood.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I am not even being ironic

Me neither... If our loud'n'heavy punk(ish) band sounded half as crazed as that I'd be happy! But Ronald needs to work on his singing...

Though with Bill Frisell, I preferred his early stuff; remember seeing him with Powertools (i.e. him, Ronald and Melvin Gibbs) in a pub in Fulham once, which was a little bit of a weird thang!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Me neither... If our loud'n'heavy punk(ish) band sounded half as crazed as that I'd be happy! But Ronald needs to work on his singing...

Though with Bill Frisell, I preferred his early stuff; remember seeing him with Powertools (i.e. him, Ronald and Melvin Gibbs) in a pub in Fulham once, which was a little bit of a weird thang!

I like Power Tools, as well.

This probably being my favorite of theirs:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Sun Ra Arkestra featuring Marshall Allen, are playing in that London soon. I'd like to go but tickets are over £40.

When my uncle saw them in Rio Preto (Brasil) it was £4.

He's 99 years old so may not be too many chances to them again (although I don't know how long aliens live 😉).

• Like 1

This is another of my absolute favorite YouTube concert clips:

And yes, I am fully aware that Tortoise is generally categorized as being a post-rock band, but come on, this is pretty damn jazzy, and as far as I am concerned their music, and especially from the albums that the tracks they play in this video are on ("TNT", "Standards", "It's All Around You"), could just as well had been categorized as jazz, if, again, not exactly traditional jazz.  

For certain, beyond discussion, this is by far way more jazz than rock.

Even when it comes to the instrumentation. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...