Why become a member? ×

Something to replace a Tecamp S210

razze06

I have decided to stop kidding myself and realize that the TecAmp cab I own and often use is just not for me. It's a S210, 4ohm version.

It is a fabulous cab in most aspects, yet my playing and taste is quite old school, and I just can't get what I want from the cab, and its best features remain untapped IMO.

Essentially, I am looking to draw on the communal knowledge here on BC, for advice and suggestions on a replacement for it when I get around to selling it. I am looking for something with more of a rock and vintage edge, with more emphasis on well-defined low end and low-mids. Also, I'd like it to be substantially cheaper, and not vastly bigger or heavier (i can lift a 30kgs cab).

The main use of the tecamp has been as a single cab solution for small to medium gigs, so the new one should be able to do the same. I would use it with any of the amps or basses in my signature, and ideally it would be a reasonable match for the ashdown 4x10, should I ever need a full stack.

I could add more unreasonable conditions, but i think i'm just going to stop for now.

Thanks

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1025634' date='Nov 16 2010, 11:07 AM']Light + warm + well-defined low end and low-mids, single cab solution for small to medium gigs = Barefaced Compact.

Cheaper may be tricky, though.. I don't know how much the TecAmps are...[/quote]

Yep, cheaper is the main point of contention here...

The tecamp s210 is priced at around £780 new, can't afford or justify spending that much for a cab anymore. It's got to be less than half that.

[quote name='razze06' post='1025643' date='Nov 16 2010, 11:15 AM']Yep, cheaper is the main point of contention here...

The tecamp s210 is priced at around £780 new, can't afford or justify spending that much for a cab anymore. It's got to be less than half that.[/quote]

It's £200 more than a Bergantino HS210? :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1025644' date='Nov 16 2010, 11:17 AM']It's £200 more than a Bergantino HS210? :)[/quote]

To the best of my knowledge, they're no longer imported in the UK, but GAK still claim to have them for sale, and that's the price they quote...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1025660' date='Nov 16 2010, 11:32 AM']Well, the Compact is £450... not sure if that's in or near your budget...[/quote]

Unfortunately out for now. That's why i am fishing for alternatives.

I've got to say that trying it out triggered all this process of getting rid of cabs I don't really like anymore. Surprisingly, I still have the cheapo ashdown 4x10 and actually like it!

[quote name='razze06' post='1025630' date='Nov 16 2010, 11:02 AM']I have decided to stop kidding myself and realize that the TecAmp cab I own and often use is just not for me. It's a S210, 4ohm version.

It is a fabulous cab in most aspects, yet my playing and taste is quite old school, and I just can't get what I want from the cab, and its best features remain untapped IMO.

Essentially, I am looking to draw on the communal knowledge here on BC, for advice and suggestions on a replacement for it when I get around to selling it. I am looking for something with more of a rock and vintage edge, with more emphasis on well-defined low end and low-mids. Also, I'd like it to be substantially cheaper, and not vastly bigger or heavier (i can lift a 30kgs cab).

The main use of the tecamp has been as a single cab solution for small to medium gigs, so the new one should be able to do the same. I would use it with any of the amps or basses in my signature, and ideally it would be a reasonable match for the ashdown 4x10, should I ever need a full stack.

I could add more unreasonable conditions, but i think i'm just going to stop for now.

Thanks[/quote]

Small, light, ceramic speaker loaded, nice punchy tone, easy schelp, and great price = TC RS210. If you want more 'meat and potatoes' go for the RS212.

The HF on these cabs is VERY smooth and the cab itself is somewhere between vintage meets modern. Your notes are defined, but with a nice warmth.

[quote name='razze06' post='1025678' date='Nov 16 2010, 11:43 AM']I've got to say that trying it out triggered all this process of getting rid of cabs I don't really like anymore. Surprisingly, I still have the cheapo ashdown 4x10 and actually like it![/quote]

All the more reason to get a second one :)

Actually, I was amazed at how good they are.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1025677' date='Nov 16 2010, 11:43 AM']I've got a matching Mag 410" for sale - its a perfect match and a maneuverable 8x10" rig[/quote]

Can you picture me playing the two 4x10 with the Peavey mark III at volume at my local? The propagating wavefront would dislodge bricks at short distance, and have me barred for life...

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1025682' date='Nov 16 2010, 11:44 AM']Small, light, ceramic speaker loaded, nice punchy tone, easy schelp, and great price = TC RS210. If you want more 'meat and potatoes' go for the RS212.

The HF on these cabs is VERY smooth and the cab itself is somewhere between vintage meets modern. Your notes are defined, but with a nice warmth.[/quote]

Tried both, RS210 sounds a lot like the tecamp in the lower end of the spectrum, but the RS212 is much more like what i'm after. Loved it until I saw the pricetag (£500-ish).

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1025707' date='Nov 16 2010, 12:01 PM']What about a nice 12"er?
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=102440"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=102440[/url]
I'm GASing for that since i saw it on the sales topic but i think i'll keep my mind set on the STL-12T to cope with the 9'er :)

Cheers[/quote]

Not really what i'm after, but nice bit of kit anyway!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1025660' date='Nov 16 2010, 11:32 AM']Well, the Compact is £450... not sure if that's in or near your budget...[/quote]

A couple have gone for around £300 in the used section on here in the last few months.... seems very quiet at the moment though.

[quote name='phatbass787' post='1025724' date='Nov 16 2010, 12:15 PM']If you like the sound of the Ashdown then why not just go for the ABM 210 Compact cab? Well within budget too...

[url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/37125-ashdown-abm-210t-compact-cabinet-evo-iii.html#sterling_uk"]http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/3712...tml#sterling_uk[/url][/quote]

Actually, I was looking more at their 1x15 offerings, both in the ABM and MAG ranges.
I tried one of the MAG ones and it sounded not bad at all, but hard to tell at guitar shop volume...

I've owned a few Tecamp cabs and know exactly what you mean about the tone, I too prefer the deeper old school tone.

I recently traded a Aguilar GS212 for one of my Epi cabs and it's now for sale at BassDirect because I have made another final decision and bought some Bergs for the usual Kings ransom (they are worth it though!)

Its up at a great price IMHO and sounds deep and big. Weighs 70lbs in an 8 ohm version but has casters to help it around.

Definitely a good option and is worth looking at.

[quote name='Flanker' post='1026052' date='Nov 16 2010, 04:50 PM']I've owned a few Tecamp cabs and know exactly what you mean about the tone, I too prefer the deeper old school tone.

I recently traded a Aguilar GS212 for one of my Epi cabs and it's now for sale at BassDirect because I have made another final decision and bought some Bergs for the usual Kings ransom (they are worth it though!)

Its up at a great price IMHO and sounds deep and big. Weighs 70lbs in an 8 ohm version but has casters to help it around.

Definitely a good option and is worth looking at.[/quote]

That's a very nice cab, tried one in a local shop and was very impressed by everything apart from the pricetag.
With my luck, the one at bassdirect will be gone by the time I start considering my next purchase...
Also, it may be a little big and loud? Mayeb the single 1x12 could do the trick. Gah, too many options!