Why become a member? ×

bass clef YTS

lojo

[quote name='Doddy' post='1030365' date='Nov 20 2010, 01:04 PM']The dot doesn't make it twice it's note value-it's half it's note value again. So a dotted crotchet is a crotchet and a quaver length.[/quote]

Yes I know I actually re-read what I put and corrected it before I read your post - honest! :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1030369' date='Nov 20 2010, 01:07 PM']:) Yeah, it's confusing at first, but there's method in the madness. All the symbol means is that you don't rearticulate the second note (in bass terms, don't pluck the second note). If it's the same pitch as the first note, it's a tie; just a longer note. If it's a different pitch, it's a slur; either a hammer-on or a pull-off... or a massive slide.[/quote]
Ah, I was just going to ask what's deal with tied notes if they are different :)

Thank you.

Well I have spent an hour or so with the book on my new "Argos" stand :) . It has mainly been about note lengths and rests but I have been playing the notes rather than tapping or clapping even though it was mostly just the E played on the D string. Then I have been trying a few exercises from the book playing around the E and A strings random notes (Like Jakes method).

I have just come on here and started with a quick go on the clef quiz and knocked out a [b]1.28 with no mistakes first go![/b] :) There is so much to learn but compared to this time last week the absolute basics are coming together.

How fast do you need to go to get to great wizard, Under 1 second?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1032804' date='Nov 22 2010, 04:14 PM']First go of the day 1.12 seconds :) Back to my book "Music reading for bass". How is everyone else getting along today with it?[/quote]
How is the book mate? I have slipped as I've a really busy week of rehearsals and gigs. If you like the book I will get a copy. And a music stand :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1032832' date='Nov 22 2010, 04:26 PM']How is the book mate? I have slipped as I've a really busy week of rehearsals and gigs. If you like the book I will get a copy. And a music stand :)[/quote]

Well as I dont really know what Im doing its hard to say, Im very impatient and like to see results quick! It does start at the beggining and as others have said it is more about timing than anything else once you have nailed what note is what and transfered it to the fretboard first five frets (which I can now do very slowly in both octaves with a little correction here and there) I suppose most of it really is down to timing of the notes.

Its worth having the book and a stand as a reference guide and as it covers the basics of dynamic markings also its handy to have about.

This is the one I have [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Reading-Bass-Complete-Essential/dp/0793581974/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290445272&sr=1-2"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Reading-Bass...5272&sr=1-2[/url]

And of course this [url="http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5407622/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/3%7C15701183%7CMusical+instruments%7C14419569/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419569%7CMusical+accessories%7C14419570.htm?_$ja=tsid:11527%7Ccc:%7Cprd:5407622%7Ccat:home+entertainment+%3E+musical+instruments+%3E+musical+accessories"]http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/part...cal+accessories[/url]
Although it looks nothing like the one in the picture :)

I had a busy week playing and rehearsing last week and this one is looking much the same so Im just trying to do a bit as and when. As long as there is a little bit of progress each time I will be happy for now.

studtybass.com is an excellant web site, if you want to learn to play the bass and read notation. Luckily i found it early on im this my first year of bass playing. (now nearing my first anniversary) Its Possibly the best on the net, for what it does. It sets everything out clearly and if you go through the course in the order its laid out in, its extremely well planned to progress in a steady fashion. imho.

This book [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Simplified-Sight-Reading-Bass-Josquin-Pres/dp/0793565189"]Simplified sight reading for bass[/url], gets good reviews im going to buy it and give it a go.

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='1033048' date='Nov 22 2010, 06:54 PM']studtybass.com is an excellant web site, if you want to learn to play the bass and read notation. Luckily i found it early on im this my first year of bass playing. (now nearing my first anniversary) Its Possibly the best on the net, for what it does. It sets everything out clearly and if you go through the course in the order its laid out in, its extremely well planned to progress in a steady fashion. imho.

This book [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Simplified-Sight-Reading-Bass-Josquin-Pres/dp/0793565189"]Simplified sight reading for bass[/url], gets good reviews im going to buy it and give it a go.[/quote]

Study Bass is a really good site,my only problem(and this goes for any instructional site) is that I would much prefer to have an actual book
in front of me. I find if I'm studying something my eyes get more tired staring at a screen than if I was reading a book.
Also,if I have a book on a stand,I'm more likely to pick the bass up and do a quick 10 mins or more,as a don't have to fart about
turning my computer on and finding the site and stuff.

Plus,you can always read the text on the toilet :)

Edited by Doddy

Daz, would you be willing to give a quick personal review of the Simplified Sight Reading book once it arrives? Would be good to hear you're take on it.

After browsing through Studybass, I think there's a lot that I missed out when skimming my Hal Leonard and others. I think I'll be back to hitting the books this weekend :)

1.09 seconds. I really am at the mercy of the mouse now rather than spotting the notes any faster. If I could type I would be well under the 1 second barrier and the title of great wizard that comes with it!

As for the book stuff Im ok with notes along a steady simple time pattern but cant get my head around 8ths and 16ths never mind the dotted and a half notes! At least I can recognise them and understand but as for playing or clapping along its going to take some effort.

For [b]bilbo/doddy[/b]- If Im following the staff in C time with quarter notes I presume I should pluck, Slap, Pick or whatever 4 times in a bar and I should just be letting it ring out for the duration of a whole or half note? (unless it says stacato etc obviously). The book has confused me a little with the way the flags are shown for practicing timing of 8th and 16th notes, If there is say a D with a stem and 1 flag how many plucks should I do, one but at the timing interval required to fit it where 1 8th or 16 would go? That seams right to me but in the section to clap along with it just doesnt seam to work although obviously the rythms are set out very uneven unlike a piece of music to try and get you to understand,But I dont! Ta

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1035528' date='Nov 24 2010, 07:51 PM']For [b]bilbo/doddy[/b]- If Im following the staff in C time with quarter notes I presume I should pluck, Slap, Pick or whatever 4 times in a bar and I should just be letting it ring out for the duration of a whole or half note? (unless it says stacato etc obviously). The book has confused me a little with the way the flags are shown for practicing timing of 8th and 16th notes, If there is say a D with a stem and 1 flag how many plucks should I do, one but at the timing interval required to fit it where 1 8th or 16 would go? That seams right to me but in the section to clap along with it just doesnt seam to work although obviously the rythms are set out very uneven unlike a piece of music to try and get you to understand,But I dont! Ta[/quote]

I'm a bit confused as to what you mean,sorry,but I'll have a go anyway :)

If you have a bar of 4 crotchets you will play each note to the value of one beat. If you then change that to four quavers,played on the beat,you will be playing the notes in the same place,but they will last for half the duration-a quaver followed by a quaver rest.

So it goes from playing 1,2,3,4 to 1(+),2(+),3(+),4(+) with a rest on the 'and' of each beat.

If you go down to semiquavers it's the same thing- you'd play the first one and then rest for the next 3- eg 1(e+a),2(e+a),3(e+a),4(e+a). You are still playing on the beat,but only for the duration of a semiquaver.

Hope that's not too confusing.

Thanks Doddy I am doing it right then its just the way they have written it in places (although there probably is a reason if you know what your looking at) where its confusing to read. Going the other way I presume for a whole note I pluck once and let it ring for the whole bar and 2 plucks to a bar for 2 half notes? Simple to those who know and Im starting to unravel it and will hopefully look back at this thread and laugh at my own questions but thats what its all about I suppose.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1036939' date='Nov 25 2010, 09:03 PM']My book only refers to the notes as whole,half,quarter,8th or 16th Is it because its a yankee doodle book do you think?[/quote]

Yeah,they are the 'Americanisms'. They make sense,but it's worth knowing both names (crotchet/quarter note,etc),especially
as over here you're more likely to hear them referred to by their 'proper' names.