Why become a member? ×

Top 3 New Bass Players

indiegrungesound

After seeing the list of legends listed in the "Top 3 Bassists who influence your playing(sic)" thread; I'd just thought I ask to see who out the newer bands, artists & sessioners you good people rate. The criteria I've gone for is for bass players on their 1st or 2nd albums. Here's mine(Not in rank order mind.):

(1) Tom Fleming (Wild Beasts): Goes from firm groove to Flamenco style playing. Good singer too!
(2) Jenny Lee Lindberg (Warpaint): Easily matches the aforementioned Mr Fleming for chops and groove, but more effects heavy AND poppier.
(3) Charles Cave (White Lies): Solid and tasty distorted 8th note goodness.

What do the rest of you think? I realise this shortlist is very hipster indie rock, so if there are any Metal, Jazz, R'n'B/Hip Hop or Folk players that you good people think should be mentioned, then do tell.

Thanks!

Steven Hodson of Oceansize, according to their lead singer "he s***s music". I'd call that pretty decent praise.

Neil Mahoney of Amplifier if he count's, they've been around a fair old while but still only on their 2'nd full length (although the third is on the way).

err, that's all I can think of ATM, to be honest I'm getting progressively less impressed by bassists in new bands. Evereyone seems to be playing a P/Jazz/Occasionaly warwick into an SVT and 8x10, which must magically transform any signal into the same bassline.

Edited by bobbass4k

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='1024901' date='Nov 15 2010, 05:34 PM']Brian Gibson, from Lightning Bolt. Can't think of another two off the top of my head.[/quote]

First album was '99, not what I'd call new. Although I agree, he's massively underrated. Crown Of Storms is the most tasteful use of bass tapping ever committed to record.

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='1024898' date='Nov 15 2010, 05:32 PM']Neil Mahoney of Amplifier if he counts, they've been around a fair old while but still only on their 2nd full length (although the third is on the way).[/quote]

Agree with that. It's a hackneyed description, but "sonic soundscapes" fits his playing!

Third album on its way, you say? Excellent!

(I'm almost 50 and was introduced to Amplifier by our 19 year old drummer. Who's a girl. Good music knows no ageism.)

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' post='1024927' date='Nov 15 2010, 05:50 PM']Agree with that. It's a hackneyed description, but "sonic soundscapes" fits his playing!

Third album on its way, you say? Excellent!

(I'm almost 50 and was introduced to Amplifier by our 19 year old drummer. Who's a girl. Good music knows no ageism.)[/quote]

Third and fourth in fact, double album called The Octopus. No firm release date yet but the preorders have sold. They promised it this year so I think they'll pull out all the stops to get it out this year.

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='1024907' date='Nov 15 2010, 05:36 PM']First album was '99, not what I'd call new. Although I agree, he's massively underrated. Crown Of Storms is the most tasteful use of bass tapping ever committed to record.[/quote]

Quite a few 'new' bands have been around for a while. And his style is constantly changing - good enough for me :)

I have to say that this thread makes me feel old and out of touch! Whenever I think of a new band they put their debut out in 1992 or something :)

I do like a few modern bands but I wouldn't know the names of any of the members. Imelda May's bass player is a bit good but he's been around longer than me!