Why become a member? ×

warmoth build

kurcatovium

Hi Basschat!
I'd like to share my joy, because I'm in a process of building Warmoth "JB", which is amazing so far (although I didn't do anything yet, lol). So I've decided to show you some pics and see if I'm the only one liking this kind of stuff or if there are more freaks like me.

Chapter one: The neck.
Main portion of wood is wenge accompanied with bloodwood fretboard. I totally love the grain and feel of the wenge, while bloodwood resembles kind of reddish ebony. The frets are stainless steel vintage (small, 6230). No finish, incredible feel! There will be massive black gotoh kluson-style tuners installed, matching black string tree is already there.
A little tease here:

Chapter two: The body.
This is a little older one, but never used. It consists of three piece alder back, where pieces are matched with ubelievably attention to detail. I'd say it's one piece body from one meter distance! Anyway, the body has nicely flamed (quilted?) two piece bubinga top, again matched really nicely! Everything is covered in transparent warmoth amber finish (or something close to amber colour). Control route is on the back. There will be black Schaller bridge installed. I'm thinking of maiking clear scratch plate and control plate, something like Atelier Z basses have. What do you think?
Few pictures:

Chapter three: The pickups etc.
After thinking it over and over I've decided to dump Schaller jazz pickups I had and go completely different way. Instead of jazz singles or splits there will be a little bit of routing (will be done by fellow luthier) and drop in dual coils in nordstrand/bartolini soapbar shape. These were custom ordered from amazing local pickup producer Jan Slapak (he makes/made pickups for Overwater, Neuser, etc.). The bass will be wired in passive volume, volume, tone for now.
Some pictures:

I'll keep this post updated until the bass is finished.

So, come on, all sorts of comments welcomed! What do you think?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...