Why become a member? ×

Am I being too fussy?

Perry

I have just got this from eBay.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260197408816&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=016[/url]

At first I thought I'd got a bargain. but when it arrived it was in this condition.

It was very dirty.
The pots were slightly gritty.
The head needed a wipe down to remove the dirt.
The pots were all in need of tightening.
The mains lead was missing.

When I emailed him to say about the lead this is his actual reply, " you just require a normal kettle lead type . csnt find the one that i had with the amp soz "

Me, being a silly bugger gave him feedback and asked him to do the same, he didn't. When I looked at his feedback, he hasn't given out feedback to other eBayers.

Hmm - I think you have a right to be a bit annoyed if there weren't any pics to show it's condition or he described it in good condition. If it works then I wouldn't complain too much, a kettle lead should be easy to come by.. I wouldn't expect to supply one with anything I sold.

As Hamster says with a bit of clean it looks and feels like a whole new amp. If the price was right then you have got a good amp presuming everything works ok. I always check a buyers/sellers feedback history and habits as it is massively annoying when someone doesn't leave you feedback when you have kept your side of the bargain. If an ebayer is in the habit of not leaving feedback then it makes me think twice about doing business. All the best with the amp.

You are obviously an experienced ebayer with a 100% feedback so I think you do have every right to feel upset. He did describe it as being in excellent condition. However, (andI don't want to imply that you did anything wrong at all) it's always prudent to do some homework on potential sellers. Check both sides of feedback, ask questions prior to bidding, look at other auctions etc.
I don't know, maybe you did and were mislead (no pun intended!).
If the amp works now, just put it down to experience and move on.
You were correct though in leaving feedback (was it positive?.... I have never left negative or even neutral despite being slightly disgruntled with a few items). Other buyers of his goods will see a pattern emerging. He's obviously new to ebay and hasn't a clue how to sell properly. A few non bidding auctions will soon shake him up.

Last time I was short of a "kettle" type lead (actually they are not kettle leads at all, they are [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_connector"]IEC connector[/url] mains leeds, kettle leads are rated for higher power and have a notch) I used the local freecycle listings to ask if anyone had a spare one and I was offered about 10 within a day.

Maybe next time you could ask for another picture or two - the one picture on the listing wasn't very helpful because of the poor image quality.

I think you have every right to feel aggrieved with the [i]way[/i] it was sold but ultimately I think you have a useful amp at a good price.