Why become a member? ×

MY NEW ZON BASS

artisan

"OMG thats f***ing gorgeous"
this was my initial thought as my sight fell onto the beautiful Zon Sonus standard bass at Bass Gear in Harrogate,mind this same thought applied to every single bass on display in Phil's new showroom.
what was also very nice was Phil telling me i was the very first customer to step into his new showroom,so i'm am also now of course the very first customer to step out of his showroom clutching a beautiful shiny new bass :lol:
let me here say that i very highly recommend contacting Phil & have a drool over the amazing display off bass gear in his showroom,the welcome is very warm,friendly & with a very personal service,which is a rare thing these days.
ok now onto the bass :)
yes it's my bass but i'm still gasing over it.
this is the "cheaper" "import" model of Zon basses but don't let that fool you,oh no this is a very high quality instrument indeed,infact i'll do a little review before i let you masturba... oh err i mean admire some photo's of my new beastie.

MODEL...
ZON SONUS STANDARD 4 string
PRICE...
£1150.00
FEATURES...
body is malple with a gorgeous quilted maple top finished in a very well applied high gloss,3 piece maple neck with rosewood fretboard, 24 frets,abalone position markers.2 nice chunky Seymor Duncan pickups,a very sweet 3band eq,all black hardware including a nice chunky bridge.
ACTION,FIT & FINNISH...
the build quality on this bass is absolutley incredible,im not kidding either,this thing is a work of art,everything & i mean everything is finnished & assembled to the highest quality on any bass in my possible price range,infact i'd say it is probably as well finnished as basses 2 or 3 times the price.it has without doubt the nicest neck of any bass i've ever owned (that's a hell of a lot i can tell you) & the fretwork is impeccable too,absolute perfection.
the bass is very comfortable to play either seated or slung on a strap with a fairly slim neck,rather jazz bass like only much better i think--me like a lot.
SOUND QUALITY...
amazing ! for the 31 years i have been playing bass i have never been truly happy with whichever bass i have owned (mainly Fender J's)but this bass delivers the goods by the truck load with a very good range of tones & punch on tap.
the 3 band eq is really very good,all controls work perfectly & even on full bass boost the tone doesn't become "boomy" ,like all my previous active basses have.infact i used this bass at a gig last night & got the best bass sound i have ever had & i mean ever.
OVERALL...
I just love it to bits,if Joe Zon had made a bass just for me it would be this one honest.
i can't recommend this bass highly enough,i played it back to back with the far more expensive U.S. model & it is very very nearly as good,it really is.
I can very highly recommend Bass Gear in Harrogate too fantastic service so check it out.
ok i'll stop rambling now & let you see some pics of the bass (kleenex at the ready)
:)
cheers

Edited by artisan

congrats - my absolute 100% top GAS bass is the Zon Sonus graphite neck PJ config "Billy Gould" special :) . Great thing about that bass is I'll never afford it; problem with your really beautiful bass is that I think I might just be able to afford it :) . Thank god Harrogate is miles and miles away. Enjoy your special bass, mate.

[quote name='molan' post='1023652' date='Nov 14 2010, 06:51 PM']So I've already commented on the Zon thread but just spotted this here as well - it really does look lovely.

I must get back up to Harrogate to take a look at the others - that Legacy Standard looks seriously nice too![/quote]

indeed it is, it's bloody lovely & is the bass i actually went to see but i prefer the slimmer neck on the Sonus.

[quote name='RichardFoggo' post='1023415' date='Nov 14 2010, 02:18 PM']congrats - my absolute 100% top GAS bass is the Zon Sonus graphite neck PJ config "Billy Gould" special :) . Great thing about that bass is I'll never afford it; problem with your really beautiful bass is that I think I might just be able to afford it :) . Thank god Harrogate is miles and miles away. Enjoy your special bass, mate.[/quote]
been gassing for a sonus since i saw billy playing them way back, but like you say fortunately well out of my price range.

but that is one very sweet bass sir, soo jealous. :lol:

:) cheers for the kind comments guys (especially about the duvet cover :) )
after a couple of days ownership i still absolutley love this bass to death & it actually sounds & plays even better than it looks believe it or not.
anyone in the Harrogate area i really reccomend going to Bass Gear & having a go on one of the standard range of Zons,they are miles better than anything else in their price range.