Why become a member? ×

What cabs do people use with their Orange Terror Bass Head?

Cat Burrito

Having picked up an Orange Terror Bass Head I'm really thinking about going all out with an Orange cab to match. I have my main set up which is the 70s Bassman into an Ampeg SVT 115E but was using an Ampeg SVT 150h into an Ampeg SVT 210E as a more portable alternative when the band travels to venues and space is an issue in the cars. Plan A was to keep using my 210 Ampeg cab but I do like the idea of having an Orange rig. Just wondered if anyone else was using Orange cabs with the Terror head or if not what have you settled on? Those SP cabs sound like my back would be a fan :)

I use mine with my Marshall VBC 412 - has a really great sound with this, as the cab has no tweeters, so nice warm sound.

When I bought my Terror I tried it with one of the Orange SP 210s, and whilst plenty loud enough, I didn`t have anywhere near the size and depth of sound that I want. Cute little things tho, and amazingly portable - not much bigger than the Terror itself. Maybe worth a look at the SP 212 though.

I also tried the Terror with an Ampeg 8x10, and the depth of sound there was immense - switching the tweeter off, I was fully in late seventies mode.
Which was nice.

I`ve also thought about getting one of the Orange cabs - been considering the OBC 410. There is a guy on here selling a 4x10 & 1x15 but am trying to resist too much GAS at pres, and I don`t want a 1x15 anyway. Am sure if the 4x10 was up for grabs on its own I`d have made enquiries tho.

GAS is the bane of my life!

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1023216' date='Nov 14 2010, 10:18 AM']Having picked up an Orange Terror Bass Head I'm really thinking about going all out with an Orange cab to match. I have my main set up which is the 70s Bassman into an Ampeg SVT 115E but was using an Ampeg SVT 150h into an Ampeg SVT 210E as a more portable alternative when the band travels to venues and space is an issue in the cars. Plan A was to keep using my 210 Ampeg cab but I do like the idea of having an Orange rig. Just wondered if anyone else was using Orange cabs with the Terror head or if not what have you settled on? Those SP cabs sound like my back would be a fan :)[/quote]
[url="http://www.limeshark.com/images/gallery/gallery_large/image23.jpg"]http://www.limeshark.com/images/gallery/ga...rge/image23.jpg[/url]

Get a van!!!!!!!!! LOL

Cheers, Mick.

Sorry, I'm not being much help, am I.

[quote name='Big Mick' post='1023252' date='Nov 14 2010, 11:15 AM']Get a van!!!!!!!!! LOL

Cheers, Mick.

Sorry, I'm not being much help, am I.[/quote]
We do hire vans a lot but it depends on what we are getting paid and the location. Sometimes it's easier just to go by car with as much kit and as many band members in as few vehicles as possible. If we have a van I take my Fender Bassman head and the bigger cab - both flightcased too.

I'm not against the idea of a 1x15 cab btw & the SP210 or SP212 are possible too. I'm talking solely Orange though as I like my existing cabs.

And Mick, Rickenbacker through Marshall? An unlikely set up for the alt.country / Americana bassist that I am! :)

That said I did use a Rickenbacker on a track on our new unreleased album. I like old school tones and although modern these Orange set ups seem to be a meeting of old & new :) Whatever the set up I'm using flatwound strings on a Fender bass which certainly gives my tone a fair steer in the direction I want it!

Edited for schoolboy spelling!

Edited by BurritoBass

Gotta be worth trying the sp210/212. Tried the Terror into those in Red Dog here in Edinburgh and was seriously impressed with the depth of the sound given their tiny footprint. I just wasn't a fan of the dirty tone! Bit of a one-trick pony I felt. But I think that's more the head.
Made me wonder how much the compromises of an Isobaric design can be overcome by the choice of driver, I'd be interested to know what's actually loaded into those things.

I've just got one of the orange 15s, and I love it. Everything about it is great, apart from the weight. :) It's seriously punchy in the low mid, but still has a very deep, round and smooth bottom end, so it doesn't sound too aggressive. Not a great deal of high end, but it's not lacking detail or clarity at all, just sounds a bit 'old school' (you wouldn't be able to get the Marcus Miller tone with it). But even though it sounds a little old fashioned, the performance isn't... it's really loud!

[quote name='voxpop' post='1023268' date='Nov 14 2010, 11:32 AM']Hi Tim,
How about one or both of my small, punchy and clean EA CLX110 cabs??[/quote]
Marc, knowing you like I do I KNOW it'll be quality gear of yours but I like the Ampeg 2x10 cab I have as spare. If I change at all it'll just be for a matched Orange cab. You know I'm a poser at the best of times! :)

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1023344' date='Nov 14 2010, 12:54 PM']Gotta be worth trying the sp210/212. Tried the Terror into those in Red Dog here in Edinburgh and was seriously impressed with the depth of the sound given their tiny footprint. I just wasn't a fan of the dirty tone! Bit of a one-trick pony I felt. But I think that's more the head.
Made me wonder how much the compromises of an Isobaric design can be overcome by the choice of driver, I'd be interested to know what's actually loaded into those things.[/quote]
It is a one trick pony but if you like the one trick it does, you are laughing! It's the same with my Bassman head. Perfect for some, certainly not for everyone

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1023360' date='Nov 14 2010, 01:28 PM']Your back won't be a fan though - they may look small, but they are heavy![/quote]
Nothing can be heavier than my flightcased Bassman head! The Orange website has these cabs at half the weight of my Ampeg cab so it'd be a step in the right direction

[quote name='ianSB' post='1023718' date='Nov 14 2010, 06:36 PM']i played a terror bass head through an sp410 and i was really impressed !
when i get one ill be using it with an ampeg 610 and i cant wait[/quote]
The sp410 starts to get a bit pricey for me. I'd probably opt for the 210, the 212 or the non SP 115 cab they do. But I bet the 410 sounds amazing