Why become a member? ×

Sounds Hard - But Easy

Hobbayne

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1022004' date='Nov 12 2010, 10:49 PM']re Sex on fire- Does anyone have trouble with the exact timing of where to hit the first pair of B's? Most bands including ours feck it up or just dodge it somehow.Once your away its a peice of cake I agree.[/quote]

I find never ever listening to it or playing it helps.

[quote name='the_skezz' post='1020902' date='Nov 12 2010, 01:40 AM']Agree with you on Baggy Trousers...[/quote]

I have to take my hat off to Mark "Bedders" Bedford for that bassline though, he was only about 18 or 19 at the time! :) I would have never have come up a line like that at that age, and those pounding quarter notes :)

[quote name='goblin' post='1022074' date='Nov 13 2010, 12:34 AM']MichaelG, slightly off topic I admit but having spotted your signature, which night were you playing at the Albert Hall? I was playing there on Tuesday but was on half way through so had no idea what was going on before![/quote]

played on monday, im in doyle & the fourfathers. were you in an orchestra or band?

[quote name='Bidd' post='1022103' date='Nov 13 2010, 02:14 AM']As said previously a lot of Muse stuff is pretty straight forward.[/quote]

+1 I am a bog standard 8th note paddler and when the rest of the band I had joined recently said they wanted to have a crack at 'Hysteria' I screamed, silently. But, once you break it down, it isn't that difficult.

[quote name='Michaelg' post='1022813' date='Nov 13 2010, 07:26 PM']played on monday, im in doyle & the fourfathers. were you in an orchestra or band?[/quote]

I was with Rochdale Concert Band on the Tuesday :)

Oh and my sounds hard but easy to play song is probably Sir Duke :)

+1 Sir Duke

I recall sitting down one saturday morning, pot of coffee brewed and bass in hand and thinking right!Lets go! Took much quicker than expected.

On a completely opposite end of the scale I find some of the Jamerson stuff initially sounds really hard, then you nail one phrase or passage and then only to realise its on a whole different level of playing and you would never make those note choices not even at gunpoint. I cant believe how much milage he got between the open strings and 5th fret.

[quote name='krispn' post='1025653' date='Nov 16 2010, 11:26 AM']On a completely opposite end of the scale I find some of the Jamerson stuff initially sounds really hard, then you nail one phrase or passage and then only to realise its on a whole different level of playing and you would never make those note choices not even at gunpoint. I cant believe how much [b]milage he got between the open strings and 5th fret[/b].[/quote]

That's the part that always gets me too... the way he just threw passing notes out like stepping stones to get somewhere, then expecting him to land on the root but instead he lands on a major 3rd instead or a 5th, or a pedal you don't see coming etc. etc. The guy just knew music inside out and back to front.

I think that's the point about most of the bass lines mentioned, they might be easy (in some people's opinion) to play, but having come up with them in the first place is an entirely different story altogether.