Why become a member? ×

Warwick love

morsefull

I got my first Thumb bass a few years ago off ebay because I always fancied one. I'd never even seen one (in the flesh) before let alone played one and not long after buying it got myself an SS1. I gigged these basses lots but after some time I sold them and TBH I cannot think why. So After a couple of years of gigging various other basses I'm back on the Warwicks with this pair.

[attachment=63670:DSCF3233.jpg]
[attachment=63671:DSCF3214.jpg]

[quote name='bigthumb' post='1019481' date='Nov 10 2010, 10:54 PM']I got my first Thumb bass a few years ago off ebay because I always fancied one. I'd never even seen one (in the flesh) before let alone played one and not long after buying it got myself an SS1. I gigged these basses lots but after some time I sold them and TBH I cannot think why. So After a couple of years of gigging various other basses I'm back on the Warwicks with this pair.

[attachment=63670:DSCF3233.jpg]
[attachment=63671:DSCF3214.jpg][/quote]Gorgeous basses.

If that Streamer had a 2-piece bridge it would be my dream bass.

I also got an old '91 Thumb bass off eBay a few years back, I paid £670 for it and the guy insisted that if I was to sell it again I should give him first refusal.

Watching Warwicks on eBay a couple of years back I watched him replace it, with another 1991 model, but he paid £1170 for that one. I felt a bit bad, but not massively bad.

WH - maybe you know him, he's up in the northeast somewhere, might've been Newcastle. IIRC I think his name was Jason. Nice bloke, great taste in basses!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1019615' date='Nov 11 2010, 03:14 AM']I used to love my Thumb, it was an excellent bass. About as good as a "band" bass as I've ever had, it just sounded great in a mix. However, with my love of slap sounds, it ended up being moved on. Still a fantastic bass though and one I look back most fondly on.[/quote]

First I've heard of someone not liking the slap sound on a Thumb! What was it about it that didn't work for you?

[quote name='josh3184' post='1019617' date='Nov 11 2010, 03:18 AM']First I've heard of someone not liking the slap sound on a Thumb! What was it about it that didn't work for you?[/quote]

I think it's a bit trebly for slap too. With fresh strings you can roll the treble all the way off (on the old 2-band Thumbs) and it is still brighter than a Fender full-up.

But tell people your bass is a "Thumb bass" and they think you're a slappy arsehole regardless.

[quote name='josh3184' post='1019617' date='Nov 11 2010, 03:18 AM']First I've heard of someone not liking the slap sound on a Thumb! What was it about it that didn't work for you?[/quote]

I suppose it's not that I didn't like the slap sound, it just wasn't the right slap sound for me. I really like bright, cutting 1980's slap sounds like you get from Kubicki and Status Graphite basses. The Thumb's slap sound was either too thin and trebly without the weight and punch of say; a Kubicki, or too woody and "dark" sounding. It was a perfectly useable sound and I quite happily used it for Level 42 playalongs, but when I started chasing tone as the ultimate goal the Thumb wasn't quite right. I also traded it for a Kubicki Ex Factor, so you can see my logic for letting it go.

That said, the Thumb bass provides a sound that is essentially unique, not even the Warwick Dolphin can really touch it. If I were only playing fingerstyle these days, and I couldn't stretch to something more fancy like an ACG, a Status or a Zon I'd definitely be happy with a Thumb. There is so much to like about the bass, aside from the excellent tone. That wonderful small body, the stylish and distinctive looks, the excellent German build quality.

I'm never convinced when I see Thumb basses selling for over £1000 but at current used prices (I got mine, a 1999 BO in mint condition with a Wenge neck for £590) they are excellent basses to buy.

Some interesting comments - in general most people seem to have fond memories of those that they owned. Even though I now own a number of other basses, including a Jaydee, Wal and 2 VCs I still regard my Dolphin as being up there with the best of them. The variety and richness of tones is incredible and though esthetically they may not be everybody's cappacino they certainly rock my boat!! Along with fact that you see some really beautiful bits of wood (I know, I've seen the "wood -v paint" thread)...

Anyway who said that bassists were fashionable? The average age of those on this site seems to be well over 21..

Hi guys, I'm new around, but playing bass for the past 12 years and now i'm a professional bass player. I used to own 6 'wicks. 3 Corvettes ($$ Ash, Std Bubinga, ProLine), 3 Streamers (LX5, $$5, SS1, SS2). Recently i wanted to quit playing bass and sold everything. After 2 months i've been to mexico on holiday. I've visited Fender factory, and personaly picked up a 5 string Jazz and a 4 string P. Both standards. Now i went back to playing bass in my former band, and i'm extremely happy with my fenders. I compared them head-to-head, to some vintage Precisions, and Jazzs and the mex ones sound better. The low B string in the jazz bass sound exactly the same with the one in the streamer stage 1 and 2. They're that good. But i've spent 2 weeks testing basses at the factory, before i made my choice. I've tested around 300 pieces :). I don't feel the need for another wick.... I'm a happy fender guy now.

I've always found Warwicks a bit hit and miss, my first fretless was a Corvette, and it's pretty much my main bass now. It looks fantastic in light, as there's something different about the Bubinga that makes it bounce light. I like it so much that as soon as I came across a fretted one for £500, I snapped it up instantly. I don't mind the top horn, although I had a nightmare finding a case that'll fit it. Got a pair of Hiscox and they fit perfectly though :)

Thing is, a friend used to have a Streamer, and I hated it. I was happier playing his Peavey T40 and when he came to sell the Streamer, since not many people would be interested in a custom with Afzelia body and such, he made a massive loss on it. Then again, I played the Infinity that's instock at Manchester PMT, and if I had the money, I'd snap it up anyday of the week. I'd never sell the corvettes though, unless I was offered a 5 string fretless, and I'd still think very carefully about trading it, as the grain on mine's so unique!

Is it possible for Mexico-Made Fenders to have a Low-B as good as a SS1 or SS2?
Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't believe you mate, just that I admit I'm really surprised...

And you might be back with Warwick one day, they're pretty addictive basses. :)

Edited by Morgoth