Why become a member? ×

Stingray options

KASH

Played a SBMM Ray34 this week and fell in love...to my ears and fingers is a MM Stingray. Not going through this now, there are loads of threads on this already. Anyway, I have considered my options and I think the best would be to get a used EBMM Stingray (considering it's very hard to find used Ray34's).

Thing is, I wanted a black body, rosewood neck one, (not so fussy about the matching headstock) and honestly if I'm going to spend some cash I want a bass the colour I like. Absolutely loved the black Ray34, that would be perfect. I know there are some US ones with same visual specs but can't really afford one and I don't want to wait forever for one to come up secondhand!

Would you go for a new Ray34, [i]or[/i] save loads of money and get a new Stingray exactly how you want it, colour, neck, etc, [i]or[/i] just get a used Stingray without liking what you see basically? :)

I know someone looking to buy a bass off me (PRS) who wanted to trade a USA Ray in black (will need to check on fingerboard), if the price is right would it be any good for you? If you are serious about getting a Ray then this is a genuine offer but I'd need to be sure for all of us as I don't want to be left with a Ray that I'll not want! :)

To answer your original question though, I'd stick out to get the genuine article because chances are you'll always be thinking "What if!".

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1006595' date='Oct 30 2010, 07:15 PM']I know someone looking to buy a bass off me (PRS) who wanted to trade a USA Ray in black (will need to check on fingerboard), if the price is right would it be any good for you? If you are serious about getting a Ray then this is a genuine offer but I'd need to be sure for all of us as I don't want to be left with a Ray that I'll not want! :lol:

To answer your original question though, I'd stick out to get the genuine article because chances are you'll always be thinking "What if!".[/quote]

cheers mate. don't have the money quite yet but thanks anyway :) yeah, as I said, i'm more inclined to buy a second hand EBMM Stingray, the price difference for a new is quite a lot, but again, I would get to choose exactly what I want, i'm confused now :) ...i reckon it's better if i save around £800 and then just start the hunt for a used one with the specs I want. will be a difficult task though

[quote name='KASH' post='1006601' date='Oct 30 2010, 07:23 PM']cheers mate. don't have the money quite yet but thanks anyway :lol: yeah, as I said, i'm more inclined to buy a second hand EBMM Stingray, the price difference for a new is quite a lot, but again, I would get to choose exactly what I want, i'm confused now :) ...i reckon it's better if i save around £800 and then just start the hunt for a used one with the specs I want. will be a difficult task though[/quote]

If Maple hadn't been such a no-no you'd have had about £100 change out of your £800 budget with this one! :)

[quote name='BlueHelmet' post='1008757' date='Nov 1 2010, 05:28 PM']Let's not forget about ebony fretboards here.[/quote]

Like this one?

[url="http://1.2.3.13/bmi/www.horse-moments.de/ST/02.jpg"]http://1.2.3.13/bmi/www.horse-moments.de/ST/02.jpg[/url]

BADASS!!

[quote name='woodster' post='1009385' date='Nov 2 2010, 11:19 AM']

Black on black (but with an extra bit of thick silver) AND for sale!!![/quote]
Wow nice.
I've said before that I'm not a fan of the MM5's big old pickguard.... but this stealth colour combo quite suits it. It would suit it even more imho if the p/g was just plain black instead b/w/b.