Why become a member? ×

A couple of pretty basic questions

newbass1000

I've been playing Eight months happily without much general skill but lately i've decided I want to take bass playing a little more seriously.
I started with a Vintage modified Squier jazz and a marshall Mb30 and to start they were fine for me.
I'm looking for some new gear Which include a new bass and a new amp.

Basswise i'm keeping the squier but i'm looking for a second bass, a bit more tonally agressive pick friendly bass. ( i've been looking at VM squier precisions and epi thunderbirds )

I'm looking to replace the Mb30 for a more versitile combo, here I have no clue.

My question Being what should I buy, My budget for the both of them would be ideally around the 500 mark but I guess I could stretch to 700 if needs be.

Thanks.

You have a nice bass already so I would aim to get a good amp as your priority. Your 30w Marshall is fine for practice but it will limit you for gigging & playing with drummers. Maximise your budget to focus on a good combo (100w minimum but ideally more). The Epi T-bird can be picked up cheaply secondhand but bear in mind you'll need a case that fits if you are taking it to rehearsals / gigs. The Squier P-bass is great & again I'd look to go secondhand.

Perhaps suggesting what music / acts you like will help people with suggestions?

Blimey...

I've got a pretty wide music taste but i'll narrow it down to

Led zeppelin, rush, Rage against the machine, Nirvana, Yes , The who , Queen , Muse , Pixies , The Stone roses.

What makes of amp is another question? I was looking into Orange, Hartke and Ashdown.

Edited by newbass1000

[quote name='newbass1000' post='1005594' date='Oct 29 2010, 06:35 PM']What makes of amp is another question? I was looking into Orange, Hartke and Ashdown.[/quote]
Yep those are fine. I (personal view) am not a massive fan of the cheaper Fender amps & equally Orange's Crush range whilst looking cool as cats aren't anywhere near as good as the valve stuff. Ampeg's entry level stuff is good fun. Even Laney are worth considering - much better than they used to be.

Thinking about it more I should have suggested second hand for the amp & looking through these very pages. Amp's don't have such a good resale value as they are not as sexy as instruments. There have been some incredible bargains on Basschat recently with some virtually new kit being offered at silly prices

Just a question for any readers which may help the OP.
When I bought my Squier Tele many years ago & wanted to go up in the world the first thing I had to do with it was upgrade the pickups as the bog standard Squier ones were too microphonic to gig with at volume. Is this still the case with Squiers?

Quite a few dudes on here have the VMJ, myself included, and they are great basses if you get a good one. Thunderbirds are great sounding basses and at £199 new or about £130-£150 second hand are great value. But play one for a bit as lots of people don`t get on with the shape and the way it hangs on your bod.

Regarding amps, Hartke, Peavey and Ashdown are all good budget bets. As Burrito says, buying secondhand from here will get you so much more!

Good luck and watch out for GAS!!

Jez

[quote name='newbass1000' post='1005594' date='Oct 30 2010, 03:35 AM']Blimey...

I've got a pretty wide music taste but i'll narrow it down to

Led zeppelin, rush, Rage against the machine, Nirvana, Yes , The who , Queen , Muse , Pixies , The Stone roses.

What makes of amp is another question? I was looking into Orange, Hartke and Ashdown.[/quote]

I play the same sort of stuff as your music tastes-go for used Trace Elliott on Ebay. I don't like Ashdown amps, unreliable, cabs OK; Hartke, metal speaker cones=harsh non-meaty tone, Hartke amp heads OK , no experience of Orange.

I'm currently using a TE AH200, TE 4x10, Ashdown 4x10, and TE 1x15 (in whatever combination)to suit the venue-I've never had any problem producing enough volume with the 200w head wherever we play.

Posters other than OP please don't slag me off for posting my opinions thanks.

Edited by AussieBassman

for playing with a pick, you can't beat a P bass - thumpy and aggressive. A Squire is fine of you like the neck. P necks can feel very different from bass to bass. and you can always upgrade your pickups.

i've liked the Ashdown combos i've played.

don't like Hartke at all. played one at an audition one night and just couldn't get a tone out of it at all.

No experience with Orange over here.

Unless you don't like the feel of your bass then there's no need to change. I have lots of love for the Thunderbirds but if you want one with a neck close to the Jazz then you need a Goth as they are narrower than the standard one

Totally out of fashion as well so you can pick them up pretty cheap at the minute.

I am a firm believer that as long as a bass can be adjusted to your liking it can be played live whether in your front room or on stage.

You could probably pick up the rig I am using second hand within your budget ish.

I love Trace Elliot cabs and have had loads of them. A lot of people are in lightweight mode so anything that weighs more than a cigarette paper is going for silly money.

There is so much information available here and most of us are glad to be of assistance if you need any info to get yourself up and running

How are you going to be getting your gear around? Do you need lightweight gear that you can take on the bus or do you have access to transport and how strong do you feel?

If you don't require it to be lightweight it'll vastly increase the range of of gear available to you and bring down the cost significantly.