Why become a member? ×

Steely Dan Covers

MoonBassAlpha

Hi
I'd like to introduce my singer to the joys of Dan.
He's more of a fan of early Psyche and the Beatles, and regards the Dan as a bit bland and mainstream.

I'm looking to try a Dan cover, so it's acoustic guitar, fretless, and I harmonise the vocals, but which tunes would work?

My first thoughts were "Any world I'm welcome to" and maybe "Bad Sneakers"

I welcome your suggestions
Cheers
Jules

the two you have picked are my two of my favourites :)

but also -

Rikki dont lose that number - chord progression is amazing
Josie - NIce groove and some interesting chords
My old school - nice and aggressive stabs throughout
and
Dirty Work - not classic dan stuff, but would probably would work well for a duo

:lol:

[quote name='Oscar South' post='1003611' date='Oct 28 2010, 12:28 PM']Never liked Peg, just too major.. chord progression just feels like its trying to hard to be 'popular'.

Black Cow on the other hand, I imagine would be amazing with a fretless bass, and really nice chords and harmony that've got room to breathe too.[/quote]

Good choice.

I'm leaning towards "Dr. Wu" at the moment.
Does anyone have the (proper) chords they could pm me? Also the notes for the sax break would be great, though I doubt I've got the chops to actually play it... One of my favourite solos on anything, it just fits the song so well.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Some, I just can't hear in this instrumentation, like Reelin in the Years, and I don't think Showbiz Kids has an interesting enough tune to play acoustically.

Cheers
Jules

I've heard 'My Old School' done acoustic and it sounded amazing, so I'll put another tick in that box.

Also, another track that I'm not 100% of acoustically but is a hiiiggghhllly overlooked Steely Dan track... 'Caves Of Altamira' off The Royal Scam - great song

Edited by Oscar South