Why become a member? ×

Anyone selling a Kolstein travel bass or Eminence?

Clarky

I recently bought an Aria EUB but it doesn't give me enough of the vibe of a DB (even though its clearly ideal for rehearsals etc). Thinking about paying up a bit more for an acoustic EUB, which means either an Eminence or a Kolstein travel bass (the latter would have to be s/h as they are very expensive new). The Bass Gallery has a s/h Eminence in but its not a bargain (list price is less than 10% below a new one at Thomann). Does anyone in BC world have one of these they are thinking of moving on?

Edited by Clarky

Did you try the Eminence plugged in? That's kinda how they're meant to be played.

I've owned an Aria and now own an Eminence. The Eminence feels and sounds much more like a double bass than the Aria did. IMHO of course....

what strings are you using on your Aria? The right kind of strings can go a long way to getting you on the way the proper DB sound. Having said that, no EUB is ever going to sound like an unamplified DB, just as no amplified DB is ever going to sound just like an unamplified DB, but you can get close enough to fool most punters and on a good night, you can even fool yourself. I've long since given up trying to 'sound' like I'm playing double bass and just concentrate on getting a decent sound that sits nicely in the mix - this always has a better outcome for the song, band & gig than having an 'authentic' DB sound.

[quote name='TheRev' post='1000306' date='Oct 25 2010, 06:53 PM']Did you try the Eminence plugged in? That's kinda how they're meant to be played.

I've owned an Aria and now own an Eminence. The Eminence feels and sounds much more like a double bass than the Aria did. IMHO of course....

what strings are you using on your Aria? The right kind of strings can go a long way to getting you on the way the proper DB sound. Having said that, no EUB is ever going to sound like an unamplified DB, just as no amplified DB is ever going to sound just like an unamplified DB, but you can get close enough to fool most punters and on a good night, you can even fool yourself. I've long since given up trying to 'sound' like I'm playing double bass and just concentrate on getting a decent sound that sits nicely in the mix - this always has a better outcome for the song, band & gig than having an 'authentic' DB sound.[/quote]

Yes I did try it plugged in and it didn't sound great either, albeit it wasn't through a preamp, just straight into a bog standard bass amp (SWR?) No plummy-ness or warmth. To be honest the set-up wasn't to my taste, with very taut strings and higher action than I would choose - and the tautness of the strings was preventing them ringing out in my view.

I hope I am not offending those with an Eminence. For one thing, it may be with the right EQ and lower tension strings it would really do it for me. But that's just too much of a gamble for me at £1500+.

Edit: having spoken subsequently to Gareth Hughes, an Eminence user, he pointed out that his Eminence was not well set up when it arrived and needed work done on the neck and bridge plus lower tension strings, following which it is now wonderfully playable and he loves it to pieces. I think I should seek out another Eminence and try that before passing judgement

Edited by Clarky

Ah- without a preamp it will definitely sound thin and weedy. The Realist pickup can be used straight into a bass amp, but it really needs to be a DB specific combo with the right input impedance. I always use a Fishman Platinum Pro with my Eminence.
I can't really comment on the set up as I went from the Aria to the Eminence via a month or so of a hired DB so I have only limited experience of what e real DB feels like. All I can say is that the Eminence felt much more like the hired DB than the Aria did.
The stock strings on the Eminence are Helicore hybrid mediums, which are a bit stiff. I've got Velvet Garbos on mine, which are much lighter to play and sound the dogs doodahs.

[quote name='euphbasio' post='1001590' date='Oct 26 2010, 07:28 PM']Hi there,

Just wondered if you might be interested in a BSX Allegro 5 String? They're very portable and have a great sound.

Let me know if you'd like to see pics/history/price etc.

All the best.[/quote]
Thanks for the offer but 5 is one too many strings for me!

Thinking I might sell my Kolstein as I'm not playing it as much as I thought I would, due to a change in circumstances. (not transporting a keyboard player and his gear + p.a. and my stuff as often as I used to)

If you fancy a day return to North Yorkshire you're welcome to come and try it.

Sometimes there are cheap deals on the train to York or Leeds, or if you want to drive it's do-able in a day, or you could stay over and we could have a bass party!

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1001931' date='Oct 27 2010, 12:28 AM']Thinking I might sell my Kolstein as I'm not playing it as much as I thought I would, due to a change in circumstances. (not transporting a keyboard player and his gear + p.a. and my stuff as often as I used to)

Sometimes there are cheap deals on the train to York or Leeds, or if you want to drive it's do-able in a day, or you could stay over and we could have a bass party![/quote]
PM'd

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1001931' date='Oct 27 2010, 12:28 AM']Thinking I might sell my Kolstein as I'm not playing it as much as I thought I would, due to a change in circumstances. (not transporting a keyboard player and his gear + p.a. and my stuff as often as I used to)

Sometimes there are cheap deals on the train to York or Leeds, or if you want to drive it's do-able in a day, or you could stay over and we could have a bass party![/quote]

Sorry Clarky,
just played my Kolstein for an hour or so and decided to hang on to it.

Good luck with your search, If you are lucky enough to find one over here you won't regret it!

After re-think and lots of communication with Eminence players (all happy!) I am adding this back to my potential buy list. Following advice on how an Eminence [i]should [/i] play, I am pretty confident that the one I tried at the Gallery was just not set-up right and needed lower tension strings.

So does anyone have a nice playing Eminence they wish to move on?

[quote name='Clarky' post='1002629' date='Oct 27 2010, 03:58 PM']So does anyone have a nice playing Eminence they wish to move on?[/quote]

Nope :)

I've had mine just over a year now and it's really starting to open up (aided by very good strings and improved technique).

I've just finished some recordings so if they're not hideously out of tune I'll post a link so you can hear what an Eminence sounds like.
For what it's worth, I bought my Eminence unseen and unplayed purely on recommendation from other users.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1002629' date='Oct 27 2010, 03:58 PM']After re-think and lots of communication with Eminence players (all happy!) I am adding this back to my potential buy list. Following advice on how an Eminence [i]should [/i] play, I am pretty confident that the one I tried at the Gallery was just not set-up right and needed lower tension strings.

So does anyone have a nice playing Eminence they wish to move on?[/quote]

Hi Clarky

I agree. I bet lower tension strings and running it into a suitable imepdance head or pre would make a huge difference.

Also, that bass is a commission sale and when I asked Alex about it a while back he came back to me with a reduced price, so may be worth checking again (unless he already volunteered the info when you visited)?

Cheers

Gareth

[quote name='walbassist' post='1002735' date='Oct 27 2010, 05:21 PM']Hi Clarky

I agree. I bet lower tension strings and running it into a suitable imepdance head or pre would make a huge difference.

Also, that bass is a commission sale and when I asked Alex about it a while back he came back to me with a reduced price, so may be worth checking again (unless he already volunteered the info when you visited)?

Cheers

Gareth[/quote]
Hi Gareth I was offered a reduced price but by the time I factor in new strings and possible setup costs it still wouldn't fall that far short of a new one (SMART are doing them set up in the US to your specifications at 1865 delivered)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Clarky -

If it's at all possible and makes things easier - you're welcome to come over and try my Eminence out to see how good they really can play. If you can make it to Belfast City Airport, there's a studio about 15 minutes drive away that I could have for an afternoon and bring down my Markbass/Epifani/Genz Benz gear for you to try everything through. Scrumptous food for thought.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1024600' date='Nov 15 2010, 01:39 PM']Hey Clarky -

If it's at all possible and makes things easier - you're welcome to come over and try my Eminence out to see how good they really can play. If you can make it to Belfast City Airport, there's a studio about 15 minutes drive away that I could have for an afternoon and bring down my Markbass/Epifani/Genz Benz gear for you to try everything through. Scrumptous food for thought.[/quote]
Thats very kind Gareth but I have spent hours now watching Youtube clips and doing more research and am pretty sure that it will be right for me (likewise the more expensive but much rarer Kolstein, which I think I will have to disregard). This is a real last minute call as I am going to make a decision this afternoon! I will probably order a new one from SMART as the one in the Gallery just isn't that much cheaper to entice me - plus I can get Gary Bartig to check over my one to my satisfactin before it flies over.

Cool cool. Make sure you check about the neck - as mine was sent from Gary to Bob Gollihur, so in theory should have been given the once over (which is why I never thought to do it for years as I blamed my inexperience for my (lack of) ability on the instrument. Whether I got a Friday afternoon job, I don't know - but it sure plays a million times better since having the neck planed.

Thx GB. I have ordered the removable neck Eminence 4. To be honest, I don't actually expect to remove the neck all that often but there is a possibility that my new band will have weekend gigs on the Continent (and in Scotland!) which will require flying - on the strength of the MySpace stuff, we have been offered a 4-date tour of Portugal, which we have had to decline (too many of us have day jobs, me included) but we may do Saturday gigs abroad, depending on money etc.

So for an extra £200-odd I thought I may as well have the opportunity to make this as portable and user-friendly as possible. After all, if I am only travelling locally I can always use my full-size DB.

Now I need someone to buy my Aria SWB!

Edited by Clarky

• 8 months later...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1306310' date='Jul 17 2011, 12:17 AM']My turn now... anyone selling a fixed-neck 4-string Eminence?

Unlikely I know...[/quote]

Not selling, but I've got Clarky's removeable neck Eminence, both Yamaha SLB100 & 200 + acoustic double basse if you fancy a couple of hours hands on in Harrogate.

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='1306330' date='Jul 17 2011, 12:43 AM']Not selling, but I've got Clarky's removeable neck Eminence, both Yamaha SLB100 & 200 + acoustic double basse if you fancy a couple of hours hands on in Harrogate.[/quote]
Might do that sometime... thanks, Mr. B!

How are you getting on with the Eminence? Enjoying it?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1306883' date='Jul 17 2011, 06:13 PM']Might do that sometime... thanks, Mr. B!

How are you getting on with the Eminence? Enjoying it?[/quote]

Were getting on fine thanks, will be taking her out tonight to City Vaults in Bradford

Edited by Mr Bassman