Why become a member? ×

Kramer DMZ4001 (79-82) - sold

eubassix

[i].."Also debuting in 1979 as one of the DMZ Customs was the DMZ4000 bass. At first, it sported a fatter bulbous body like the DMZ2000 and 3000 guitars. It also had a mini-pickguard in the middle of the body that held a passive split-coil Dimarzio P-bass pickup. Controls on the early version were 1 volume and 1 tone knob and face-mounted jack. This first mach was availble in black(maple body), natural(maple body) or walnut/maple combination. Later that year, the 4000 lost it's pickguard and gained an active EQ and Dimarzio Dual Coil pickup instead of the passive model used on the earlier version. It gained 2 switches, one for power and one for coil tap. Around this time, the 4000 was planned to be dropped and [b]the DMZ4001 was to take over. The 4001 was basically the same bass as the later 4000 version but had only one coil tap switch. Both the 4000 and the 4001 initially had the fatter body but was streamlined down to the thinner-horned, sleeker body like the DMZ1000 guitar. Color options remained the same throughout the run. Necks were standard aluminum with dot inlays [/b]and, like the rest of Kramer's alum. neck basses, had the fretless or half fretless option and some with no dots.
Basically, if it has a pickguard, it's a 4000 no matter what. The deciding factor of the non-pickguarded models come down to the time frame the model came out in. Although the 4000 and 4001 is listed as having active curcuity, there are several examples of non-active, non switching configurations on both models. The 4000 run was ended about the time the 4001 came out with very little overlapping time. Both models at different times sported [b]passive [/b]and/or active [b]electronics[/b].[/i]
For a bass from 79-81 (?) it's in pretty remarkable condition. It all looks original but not sure of this (and would appreciate any comments from those who might know these Kramers better.
Instrument only, but will be very well-packaged/boxed.

Edited by eubassix

I had one of these it is a dmz 4001
great little basses I had mine for years bought it in 79/80 after seeing Trevor Boulder playing one with Uriah Heep
the only problem i had was the neck warped, and there is no truss rod so could not adjust.
Its a shame you were not nearer to me i would be interested it buying but would need to try out first.
I live in Reading Berks,

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1019755' date='Nov 11 2010, 09:45 AM']They had a walnut one of these in Maurice Plaquet's when I was working their as a Saturday boy in the late 70s.
It was my favourite bass in the shop. I used to spend ages thinking up ways to steal it without getting caught.[/quote]

I loved the walnut Kramers back in the late 70's, I too lusted after one that hung on the wall in White's in Sunderland :) As I recall it was a king's ransom at around £400 - bearing in mind I was on £22 a week back then I could only dream :) good luck with the sale :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='eubassix' date='Nov 17 2010, 01:27 PM']... anything like this (apart from the changed bridge/pickups/knobs!) ??.... :-

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280590459139&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url][/quote]

Aye, funny how time dulls the memory, thought they were a bit sexier than that.... :)

• 3 weeks later...