Why become a member? ×

Ibanez owners

chilievans

[quote name='monkeynuts' post='996033' date='Oct 21 2010, 02:57 PM']Love my EDB600, been my only bass for the last 11 years and feel no need for anything else as it does everything I need very well. Plus they have lovley slim necks if thats your thing.

I still have no idea what luthite is though!![/quote]

Check it out on Wikipedia. I helped edit that page!

Main gigging bass is a BTB470, plays really nicely especially after a pro setup, I have played basses worth a couple of grand more that I've not found as comfortable to play. Electronics are mediocre at best though, going to whack some new pups and preamp in it after christmas. Not a big fan of the elixr strings they put on them as standard, far to slippery and slidey with that coating and sounded a bit thin. Now running DR Nickel Loriders and they suit it perfectly and feel great.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd add some more comments.

Just got my Ibanez GSR-180 back from the guy I'd lent it to...and OMG!!!! I'm blown away by it, all over again. I think not having played it for months, I'd forgotten how bloody good it is (especially after popping in the series/parallel switch). Damn, those are some hot pickups. It kinda puts the Squier in the shade for certain songs that I play. I'm going to have to do some comparison recordings - see what you guys think.

Anyway, got back from church this afternoon, and I though I'd stick the full stack back together. Talk about wall-rattlingly good! Just noodling, but there's some serious low end grunt (even with the bass control on the head and SansAmp rolled off). I'm a happy bunny again! :)

Go check 'em out if you're still in the market for one......

HTH, Ian

Former SR3006E owner, lovely instrument, top class build quality, just took a few years to come to terms with the fact that I'm not a 6 player.

Rejoined the gang yesterday, picked up a SR1300PM... really, really fantastic instrument. I can see it getting a lot of use.

I've always loved Ibanez gear. I had an old 70's Ibanez precision that was great, and more recently a K5 which was one of the most comfortable basses I've ever had to play. Currently I have a GWB35 which, apart from some loose fret markers that are currently being replaced, is totally sublime. Once the cheap plastic fret markers have all been replaced with some nice dark resin ones, it'll be my permanent home bass.

[quote name='chilievans' post='996251' date='Oct 21 2010, 11:04 AM']Well I was toying with the idea of a new bass but after all the awesome comments about these guitars I think I'll stick with what I've got. Thanks guys

What strings do you use?[/quote]

Either I was under the influence of prescribed narcotics or I never saw this post - but one cannot tell if one has posted in a section or not with any sort of icon or check mark on the box --- Oh well.....

I bought my SR500 just before the new models came out in 2009½. Mine doesn't have the 2010 toggle switch to take it to some other tonal zone - but I never had it - don't miss it.

When I bought my SR500 - I was trying to buy something that just talked to me. Once I got it in my hands and even before I plugged it in I just KNEW!

I was in a hate/hate situation with Fender at the time and refused to look there for succor.

Anyway - the Ibby is a year and a half - [i]almost[/i] - old now and as anal as I am at checking things on all my gear - which NOW includes a lot of Fenders and their ugly stepchildren: Squiers, I still have the SR and won't let go of it for anything short of 45 caliber.

Tone-wise it can go almost anywhere. Brilliant highs with piercing bell-ringing glass-shattering timber and yet I can get all the way down to Motown with it and just a twist of a couple of knobs.

Typically I play both p'ups in some sort of mixture - but I've been known to just go thump with the neck alone.

Now - here's the greatest part, besides the sing-ability: I test and test and clean and wax all my gear constantly. I figger that's the way to find something minor and head it off at the pass before it gets badder and worser.

The SR500 has never had to have a truss rod adjustment - EVER! It is so straight I can use it to gauge my other guitars.

The machines are taut and clean with just the right feel and drag as I turn them - which isn't very often.

Now I KNOW there's no way a bass can stay in tune all by itself. Strings get cold and they shrink (go sharp) and vice-versa. But the neck is never in the calculation!

I even have the original Chinese clone 9V battery in it - it's a contest for me to see how long it lasts.

Maybe I'm part Scottish - I dunnow; there might've been a kilt in the fuel supply in the 1330's or so.

I love the finish - it's not very tough, [u]so I hear[/u], but I have no problems nor have I chewed through spots anywhere and I think it looks better now than it did hangin' in the store.

Strings? I have the ORIGINAL Elixir Nanos on it. They are great! I even put Nanos on three of my other basses from the way I like them on the SR500.

The only thing I would change if I had my druthers (if I even HAVE druthers): move that jack spot to some place more logical. I always forget and bring a double 90º cord with me and it's a hassle to get it in or out of the jack port.

At least relieve some of the wood around it or un-sink that jack to a little closer to the surface of the body to make access a little better.

Oh, yeah --- Gawd I love that bridge too! Super duper easy-peasy to intonate and adjust the height of the strings.

The only other bass I have that comes close to sounding as good is my Fender MiM Deluxe Active Jazz. The necks are the same width and even though the SR LOOKS longer - it is not when taken into the overall length of the body too. It does have a fret or two more than the Fenders though.

You can do a lot worse in parabolic expressions by buying a different-named bass - but [i]fer sure[/i] the Ibby won't let you down.

Good grief! I wrote a book.

Her's some neck references:::

This is the SR500 neck - just look at the measurement on the tape where it meets the fretboard here::

That's [b]2 3/8"[/b] where it meets the face of the board and this is measuring at the 1st fret too.

OK - now the Fender Deluxe Jazz:::

Notice that the fender is a teensy-weensy bit thicker. This isn't the width difference being measured here since they are the same anyway, but the radius on the back of the neck that makes it a little bit different.

The top nuts are exactly the same size. Personally I don't think one who plays a J-necked bass can say that the Ibby is all that much different - right?

This 'sameness' holds a long 'way down the fretboard too - the Fender is just a smidge thicker, but the width is pretty much the same for a long way down to the higher notes.

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='996326' date='Oct 21 2010, 07:11 PM']Personally I really like the headstocks, compact and do the job they've got to do. I don't like classic Fender headstocks on a bass - way too big for what they do although they too do what they have to do.[/quote]

Totally agree with you on that one.

I only own one bass, it's an SR300. Does the job as far as I'm concerned. I find it really comfortable to play and can get all sorts of sounds out it.

And the compact headstock is a very nice design feature - I love it!

I love my old ibanez. Its a budget CT1 from the late 80's with the pj pickup arrangement. Its been my main bass since I bought it and never let me down, only now are the electrics starting to crackle /pop and I need to get it sorted out. Love the thin neck....so much in fact that it spoilt my experience of a Fender P I bought a few months ago...just couldn't get past the fat neck. Would never sell it.
Jas

After reading Circle's post, I just remembered that my Ibby [i]still[/i] has the [i]original[/i] strings on it - crikey, they must be two-and-a-half years old already, and still sound awesome. Plenty of [i]mojo[/i] left in 'em!!!

Just goes to show what a little TLC can do. Body is still in good shape, even after I've drilled some new holes in it - I think it just adds to the character of the bass - [i]roadworn[/i] the old-fanshioned way i.e. by being played and not worried about [i]ding[/i]ing it :)

HTH, Ian

I've just bought an SR600 (it's the same as an SR500 other than ash instead of mahogany for the body and different coloured hardware) and am mightily impressed.

I mainly bought this because it's both lighter and better balanced than my much-loved Westone Thunder III. But the more I play the Ibby SR600, the more I'm finding other things to like about it such as the stability of the neck, how comfortable it is to play and how well its tone seems to cut through.

To my eyes, the Ibanez just looks superb - but then I've never been a fan of traditional looking basses, preferring something with a less iconic look. It doesn't sustain or do old-school tones as well as my Westone (particularly when soloing the bridge pickup), but it's still a versatile bass and I think it's one I'll be keeping for some time to come.

I've always liked Ibanez basses ( and guitars - I went a bit loopy and bought an original floral Jem earlier this year which is beautiful) and am shortly going to get an SR506BM. Had a good go on one in Dawsons in Manchester after BassDay and loved it. The mid switch seems well voiced, as does the EQ in general, and it felt lovely to play. Only reason I didn't grab it there and then was that my local dealer had promised me a very good deal on one (but couldn't get one for me to try as the distributor won't send basses on sale or return apparently).

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1008131' date='Nov 1 2010, 01:22 AM']Man those Elixers look like they've grown fur, change them before they get up and walk :)[/quote]

[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="#FF00FF"][size=4][i]Meow! [/i][/font][/size][/color]

I love the kitty fur and it's sure fun to see the look on a guitarist's face when he notices it.

I tell them it's an optional extra-charge for those strings and that's how it gets such a mellow tone.

When Winter's finally here, my fingers will be nice and warm.

Just be sure that if you have Elixir Nanos, or any other coated strings that you don't use any string cleaner that rubs on the strings, as it will break through the coating and it will really fall off.

Normal use will make them fuzz-up a little (or a lot if you're aggressive or use a pick) but it never harms the tone or voice of the string AFAICT.

Edited by Circle_of_Fifths

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1008543' date='Nov 1 2010, 02:04 PM'][font="Comic Sans MS"][color="#FF00FF"][size=4][i]Meow! [/i][/font][/size][/color]

I love the kitty fur and it's sure fun to see the look on a guitarist's face when he notices it.

I tell them it's an optional extra-charge for those strings and that's how it gets such a mellow tone.[/quote]
When I bought my old ATK-305 second-hand, it still had the original Elixirs on it, was strange using that bass for the first time if you're not used to them..

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1008543' date='Nov 1 2010, 02:04 PM']Just be sure that if you have Elixir Nanos, or any other coated strings that you don't use any string cleaner that rubs on the strings, as it will break through the coating and it will really fall off.

Normal use will make them fuzz-up a little (or a lot if you're aggressive or use a pick) but it never harms the tone or voice of the string AFAICT.[/quote]
Good point. In the end, opted to replace them with Rotosound Swing SS strings (not the best choice in retrospect). Has currently got a set of Hartke Bass Attack's on it - seem to be OK.

HTH, Ian

[quote name='Bottle' post='1008701' date='Nov 1 2010, 09:44 AM']When I bought my old ATK-305 second-hand, it still had the original Elixirs on it, was strange using that bass for the first time if you're not used to them..

Good point. In the end, opted to replace them with Rotosound Swing SS strings (not the best choice in retrospect). Has currently got a set of Hartke Bass Attack's on it - seem to be OK.
HTH, Ian[/quote]

Are those the Roto 66s?

I hear they are like hacksaw blades with the teeth up on your fingers.

I have a set of Roto 45s for my VM-Jaguar when the 7250 Fender NPSs die - which doesn't seem to be happening too fast I think.

The Roto 77s I have on my P are what's gonna stay on it until I die. They are over a year old now and make no untoward sounds or have any problems which I can foresee.

(now that I've talked about them, they'll break - you betchum!)

The English don't seem to make much good wine, but [i]day-um[/i], they can make bass strings!

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1009224' date='Nov 2 2010, 01:58 AM']Are those the Roto 66s?

I hear they are like hacksaw blades with the teeth up on your fingers.[/quote]
Yep, them's the fella's. Worst set of strings I've ever had the displeasure of caressing with my fingers :)

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1009224' date='Nov 2 2010, 01:58 AM']I have a set of Roto 45s for my VM-Jaguar when the 7250 Fender NPSs die - which doesn't seem to be happening too fast I think.

The Roto 77s I have on my P are what's gonna stay on it until I die. They are over a year old now and make no untoward sounds or have any problems which I can foresee.

(now that I've talked about them, they'll break - you betchum!)[/quote]
I quite like the Fender strings - my Squier P-special had them on and seemed perfectly OK being downtuned to DGCF. I've put them out to pasture while I'm experimenting with an extreme down-tuning down to ADGC using the bottom four strings from my Hartke 5-string set.

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1009224' date='Nov 2 2010, 01:58 AM']The English don't seem to make much good wine, but [i]day-um[/i], they can make bass strings![/quote]
Hehehehe - having said that, we do a fair line in real ale and cider :)

Ian

[quote name='Spoombung' post='996276' date='Oct 21 2010, 07:30 PM']I like the modern-shaped, super slim- bodied SR. It's an amazing design - it's quite incredible how they've contoured the body. Unfortunately I just cannot get on with it's sound; it's slightly harsh with a nasty metallic zing - and I don't like the deeply silly, unsatisfying tone control that goes from 'finger' to 'scooped'. It sounds pretty awful to my ears.

The SR has got everything right ergonomically and is just waiting for better pickups and tone controls. I don't know why they don't use the 'sonic arch' pickups in their Ashula model from now on. They sound fantastic and a are huge improvement on the ibby standards and Barts.[/quote]

I played an SR years ago and I've always discounted them for the fact it had that harsh zingy sound you describe, which I just couldn't seem to tame. Maybe that's just because I'm used to passive Fender style basses though.

I notice a few people mentioning the light weight of the SR's though? That sounds quite appealing!

[quote name='Circle_of_Fifths' post='1009224' date='Nov 2 2010, 02:58 AM']Are those the Roto 66s?

I hear they are like hacksaw blades with the teeth up on your fingers.[/quote]

I've used nothing but Roto 66's on my Westone Thunder III for the last 25+ years, so I only noticed how rough they are when my new Ibanez SR600 arrived, fitted with Elixirs (as unbelievable as it may sound - I haven't played any other bass fitted with roundwounds in all that time!). The Elixirs sound good, but I don't think they're worth the extra cost, so I'll be changing them when they start to go furry - that look doesn't work for me! :)

But my attitude with the Roto 66's has always been that if they were ever good enough for John Entwistle, then they're more than good enough for me, so a set of these will probably end up on my SR600 too. :)

KB

Edited by Krysbass

had my SR500 for 4 or 5 years now, dont think i'd ever sell it either, the zingy tone is partly down to the elixirs when they are new but they tame down fairly quickly to be honest mine certainly doesnt sound overly zingy at the moment.
and i do like the elixir feel too, do remember using uncoated strings and them taking skin off but i think the worst were the black coated Duff mckagan strings i bought years ago, felt very similar to one of those tile saw blades.
you can get the elixirs at fairly reasonable prices if you look around but 40 quid shop bought is alot but then i have had my set on now for over 1.5 years and they still sound nice, cant do that with rotos.

I've been using an Ibanez SR505 for a few years now as my main "workhorse".
Reliable, stays in tune, fast neck and doesn't weigh a ton like my ESP.
It came with Elyxir's on it and I've carried that on so far - although I've a hankering to try the Roto Nexus - as soon as they add a 5 string set to their range...

[quote name='chilievans' post='1014060' date='Nov 6 2010, 03:35 AM']Thanks for all the replies guys.

I was concidering changing my sr500 but after such glowing reports I think I'll hang on to it :)[/quote]

I think the biggest problem with the SRs is that they don't have a lot of bling.

What's nice about the SRs is that they don't have a lot of bling.

Somewhat understated, they just 'do' it well and I can play mine in the stuffed shirt environs at a jazz gig and then switch to a Motown gig and use the same bass.

Perhaps the best eye-candy is that they look like a Strad, and can howl like a Fender. I may have Fenders, but mostly I shall keep my Ibanez for those times when I want to impress myself with it's supreme playability; the audience doesn't see the bass player anyway.

For the most part, bassists are the mystery artist. People hear the low notes and think it might be recorded or a keyboard on a low octave.

I've had three so far. A 90's black SR 500, a SR1300PM (really shouldn't have sold that, but it part-funded my 20th anni 'ray), and now the one in my sig - SR1000 Prestige.

All of them very comfy, all of them sounded/sound good, especially the USA Barts on the current bass.

Except that I'm skint, I'd be looking for a five and a fretless, both Ibby :)