Why become a member? ×

Back problems.

ObscureRyan

Hello, i have no idea if this is in the right section or not but here goes!

I got my hands on a Fender MIA Standard Jazz about 3 months ago after previously playing an Ibanez GRR200. After about a month i have started getting a pain in my lower back, its usually worse when i have been playing bass for longer periods so i have came to the conclusion its my Jazz bass.

Have any of you guys ever had back problems due to the weight of your bass?
any tips on how to avoid this problem?

A huge difference to be had by using a Comfort Strap.

I use a variant that I bought from Stringbusters called a Brooklyn Gear Strap.

Rubbery leathery thing that is both comfortable and provides a bit of help if you have a neck heavy instrument.

Before this I vividly remember sometimes having to take the strap off my left shoulder and put it onto my right as it was so painful

[quote name='Delberthot' post='988745' date='Oct 15 2010, 02:05 AM']A huge difference to be had by using a Comfort Strap.

I use a variant that I bought from Stringbusters called a Brooklyn Gear Strap.

Rubbery leathery thing that is both comfortable and provides a bit of help if you have a neck heavy instrument.

Before this I vividly remember sometimes having to take the strap off my left shoulder and put it onto my right as it was so painful[/quote]

I'd not heard of comfort strapp before but my advice was going to be along similar lines. Any decent wide strap with a bit of padding should do the job.

I swapped a Fender precision for a Hofner violin bass- made the world of difference as I can play a 45 minute set with minimal pain even though it is only a few pounds lighter!

I also do yoga which stretches my back and have regular acupuncture and also do regular stretching excercises which were recommended by a physio.

Firstly, go to a physio and let them see if you have an underlying back issue and get that sorted. It'll stand (pun not intended!) you in good stead for what ever you do.

I've learnt the hard way that procrastinating (for years) will cost you physically and financially in the long term.

Noticed the underlying assumption in the OP's idea that the change of bass caused the back problem. It is tempting to grasp the idea that the bass caused the problem, as the back pain appeared soon after the bass change, but consider;

- It is possible that the bass was the final straw that just revealed a pre - existing back problem, caused by other issues

- If the bass is heavy enough to cause a back problem, how do we account for the absence of a left shoulder problem ?

that's just for openers. There may well be more going on than meets the eye here. Get it checked out by a health care professional that knows what they are doing. +1 to a physio

Hope you get it sorted out soon and have a pain free bass career ahead

T

+1 for the wide strap.

Also moving whilst playing. (I don't mean starjumps - just not standing/sitting still or slouching)

Careful moving your amp/speaker. You may be straining your back it when you unload and set up, but only realising after strapping a bass on.

I have started exercising a couple of times a week - esp swimming. Pretty amazed what a difference it has made to my back - wish I'd started 10 years ago!

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='989059' date='Oct 15 2010, 11:45 AM']I think its most likely down to posture when your playing. Specially if your tall and thin like me (well, tall anyway lol )

Worth seeing somebody medical though, could go on for years otherwise.[/quote]

Analysis based on extensive examination of the OP ?

T

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='989036' date='Oct 15 2010, 11:21 AM']Noticed the underlying assumption in the OP's idea that the change of bass caused the back problem. It is tempting to grasp the idea that the bass caused the problem, as the back pain appeared soon after the bass change, but consider;

- It is possible that the bass was the final straw that just revealed a pre - existing back problem, caused by other issues[/quote]

THIS ........ and see a good sports physio, not a GP first.