Why become a member? ×

Boss ME-20b vs ME-50b

AinsleyWalker

Anyone have any experience with either/both?

It seems to me that the 50b is a lot more user friendly with everything displayed clearly with dials/knobs. and is nicely laid out.

I'm not worried about the lack of switches, because both have 3 and I wouldn't need more than that at any one time anyway so.

Any opinions/feedback would be great!

both discontinued now, to be replaced by ME25b and ME70b, which are pretty tough to come by as of yet.
The 20 was a fun, easy to use unit and the 50 was a real giggers delight as simple as having seperate pedals, and you can get them cheap enough now second hand.

The 25's seem to be laid out with presets in mind, tidier sounds and Usb out to record to computer etc, and the 70 has improved sounds and a few more effects.

Great idea, especially if you're in a genre spanning covers band.

[quote name='ainsley walker' post='988079' date='Oct 14 2010, 02:31 PM']Anyone have any experience with either/both?

It seems to me that the 50b is a lot more user friendly with everything displayed clearly with dials/knobs. and is nicely laid out.[/quote]

This is definitely my experience of the ME-50b. The fact that you can use it in manual stomp box mode, and tweak manually on the hoof, is a huge bonus when playing live. In fact I only use it in that mode, and hardly ever bother with presets.

All very straightforward and intuitive.

My only gripe is that if you do use presets, there is a slight time lag in switching between patches. Not long, but enough to be noticeable if you are changing patches mid-song. That may well apply to the ME-20b.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='988105' date='Oct 14 2010, 02:58 PM']both discontinued now, to be replaced by ME25b and ME70b, which are pretty tough to come by as of yet.
The 20 was a fun, easy to use unit and the 50 was a real giggers delight as simple as having seperate pedals, and you can get them cheap enough now second hand.

The 25's seem to be laid out with presets in mind, tidier sounds and Usb out to record to computer etc, and the 70 has improved sounds and a few more effects.

Great idea, especially if you're in a genre spanning covers band.[/quote]

I've had/have both. I'd agree with Andy, the 20 is a great little unit if you don't demand long effects chains and use a strightforward collection of sounds. The sound quality is pretty good and it is very small; you don't really a good idea of the scale of it from the website but it surprised me when I saw it in the flesh. I bought my 20 from a basschatter - I intended to use it at small rehearsals and for taking to our drummer's house so I could emulate the sounds I use for the function band set without carting my full board around.

I had the 50 a few years ago and I think the reason I ditched it was because it didn't have the bank switching capability without an outboard extra pedal and also because it didn't have some effects combinations. I can't quite remember.

I'm selling my ME20b now. It's boxed and you can have it for £80 + P&P if you are interested.

Still have my ME-50B. Not used it for a while, as it upset one of my former bands when I used the Sansamp emulator and the bottom boost on the pedal... along with the bass boost on my Yamaha's EQ! Never mind!

Have to say it's a decent, sturdy pedal. The "Line Driver" Effect(the aforementioned Sansamp copier) is the best distortion on it. Plus it has a mute facility on the pedal section, a compressor and tuner as well. Always liked the chorus and echo effects too.

I'm now SORELY TEMPTED to start using this again! Thanks for the reminder folks!