Why become a member? ×

After some opinions!

jnrwarrior

Hi

Im going to get some new cabs - my head is a Warwick Profet 5.1

After learning alot from the topic on OHMs ive got two choices

Option A - a 2 X15 Peavey cab @ 4 ohms - so could only have this cab

Option B - 4 X10 Peavey Cab @ 8 ohms, plus a 1 X15 of some sort.

would really value your opions for different sounds etc

thanks

[quote name='jnrwarrior' post='987376' date='Oct 13 2010, 08:36 PM']Hi

Im going to get some new cabs - my head is a Warwick Profet 5.1

After learning alot from the topic on OHMs ive got two choices

Option A - a 2 X15 Peavey cab @ 4 ohms - so could only have this cab

Option B - 4 X10 Peavey Cab @ 8 ohms, plus [s]a 1 X15 of some sort[/s] another 4 x10 Peavey Cab @ 8 ohms.

would really value your opions for different sounds etc

thanks[/quote]

I fixed that ^ for you!

Unless you are playing with a monstrously loud band I'd go for Option C - 2x10 Peavey cab, plus another 2x10 Peavey Cab @ 8 ohms.

I've used the Peavey cabs before and the comparison between the 4x10 (or multiples of) and 2x15 is so massive and different it'd do your head in, though the Peavey cabs are cracking value for money. However, a pair of the 2x10 cabs stacked on their side/end makes a portable 4x10 rig that will see off just about any comparable rig for similar money. The tone that you get is totally dependent upon your bass style and technique so trying to tell you how it will sound is likely as not, worthless but I'd be amazed if you couldn't get a decent versatile sound from a pair of vertical Peavey 2x10's.

Edited by warwickhunt

Out of the options you listed I would probably go for the 2x15 as a single cab solution. Plenty of volume and personally I think that they look really cool.

A 4x10 and a 1x15 is quite a lot to carry about, and would probably need to run on a crossover, though there are people on this forum that advise against any mixing of different speaker sizes. If carrying about 2 cabs I would probably go for another 4x10 personally.

I had a Peavey TVX 2x10 - great sounding cab, and nice and easy to carry around. Whereas the TVX 4x10s are incredibly heavy.

As Warwickhunt said, unless you`re playing in an incredibly loud band, its unlikely you`ll need anything more than the 2 2x10s. I use a 4x12, and previously a 4x10, and have never even come close to having to push my amps (both 280 watts at 4 ohms).

I was amazed at the sound I got from a Hartke LH500 and a Peavey 4x10" at a rehearsal last week. So much so that it was the impetus that lead to me doing a trade with my 2x15" for 2 Ashdown Mag 410Ts

Such a punchy sound - plus its technically an 8x10" so doesn't get much more rock than that. plus its big and manly :)

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' post='988652' date='Oct 14 2010, 11:55 PM']I was amazed at the sound I got from a Hartke LH500 and a Peavey 4x10" at a rehearsal last week. So much so that it was the impetus that lead to me doing a trade with my 2x15" for 2 Ashdown Mag 410Ts

Such a punchy sound - plus its technically an 8x10" so doesn't get much more rock than that. plus its big and manly :)[/quote]

Not sure of this logic. The Peavey 4x10 is a pretty different prospect to the Ashdown ones.