Why become a member? ×

Mark King Appreciation Society

Pete Academy

He's a huge influence on me, even thoughI rarely slap. I just love his groove, and his choice of notes is amazing.

His playing is heavily influenced by Stanley Clarke, but don't forget that he went from being a drummer to being an amazing bass player in a very, very short space of time. He was doing stuff like Stanley after only a year or so, and then he took Stanley's stuff further. Stanley Clarke had a decade or more headstart on Mark King.

So carry on and critiscise him, but he is a truy amazingly talented bass player. He's so far above 99% of the people on this forum who are criticising him that he's out of sight.

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='982055' date='Oct 8 2010, 09:48 PM']He's a huge influence on me, even thoughI rarely slap. I just love his groove, and his choice of notes is amazing.

His playing is heavily influenced by Stanley Clarke, but don't forget that he went from being a drummer to being an amazing bass player in a very, very short space of time. He was doing stuff like Stanley after only a year or so, and then he took Stanley's stuff further. Stanley Clarke had a decade or more headstart on Mark King.

So carry on and critiscise him, but he is a truy amazingly talented bass player. He's so far above 99% of the people on this forum who are criticising him that he's out of sight.[/quote]

Its funny how even his own fans are so negative,If you read the thread there is no one critiscising MK in this one yet? 99% of the players on the forum are less known and in your opinion are no where near as good yet neither of the bands I play in would swap me for him other than the gigs it would pull in but if it were simply on talent they would just think he was another bass player trying to be a lead guitarist and stick with my standard solid style which Im sure he is way better than most of us at too but how long before he started slapping again?

See again I have not knocked him in any way yet I await the nasty back chat because I have not said I love everything he ever did.

Where does the lead guitarist bit come from, that's what puzzles me. His fingerstyle playing is just groove, he's laying down a solid groove, the same as his slap lines.

OK, he has some solo lines, but listen to Chic, Incognito, Rush, Paul McCartney and John Entwistle with the Who. They too have similar up front playing styles.

Yep and the bands I play in would not be keen on them either im affraid.Out the list maybe macca but a lot of bands front men/women want straight 8ths/16ths IME with the very odd bit of a run down here and there. I spoke to another basschatter who I wont name but trust me has no shortage of skill or fantastic gear and he said most the top end gigs he gets the people in charge want to see you turn up with a jazz bass (or something they dont know isnt one,Alleva,Sadowsky etc) and play straight and solid,Anything else worries them.Sure if your doing your own thing and you like it knock yourself out but you can keep it for me sorry.Im not going to be the next victim off the your anti MK witch hunt ,I will leave it for someone else AFWIW I prefer Flea! :) Night all.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Massive fan here.... not ashamed to admit it either....

He got me into the bass guitar hook, line & sinker

Great Musician (not just bass) Great Bloke (met him countless times) & great band (all incarnations over the years)

Thankyou and goodnight

and i'm NOT Mark King

Craig

[quote name='Soliloquy' post='982055' date='Oct 8 2010, 09:48 PM']So carry on and critiscise him, but he is a truy amazingly talented bass player. He's so far above 99% of the people on this forum who are criticising him that he's out of sight.[/quote]

Maybe....but I can also guarantee that there are players on this forum who have done gigs that he couldn't have done if he hadn't
made a career with one band. He's cool within Level 42,but for an 'amazingly talented bass player' he's never been 'in demand'.

[quote name='Doddy' post='982242' date='Oct 9 2010, 12:38 AM']Maybe....but I can also guarantee that there are players on this forum who have done gigs that he couldn't have done if he hadn't
made a career with one band. He's cool within Level 42,but for an '[size=4]amazingly talented bass player' he's never been 'in demand'.[/size][/quote]
If you were about during the 80's think back.
His posters and endorsements were in every music shop in europe at the time. From Trace elliots to rotosound strings, Status basses, Jaydees ,Alembics, Yamaha delay units he was the biggest name in bass at the time.
If your saying he never really fulfilled his bass potential i would agree , he could have been STILL the biggest name out there if he'd have done the wooten/miller circuit, solo albums and tours and instructional dvds.
But i think he's like a lot of us on here and is just a lazy sod who likes a drink and a larf. :)

I'm a great admirer of Mark King's playing.

As for the comments about MK playing in other people's bands or on other people's music... I've no doubt he could play in many different bands and in a variety of musical styles, but why would he ? I mean Level42/Mark King are close enough to the same thing. He gets to do whatever he wants in that band. I'm not certain what the attraction there would be for him to play in other bands.

On top of that, the style that people most associate with MK is such that it might be difficult to fit into other bands. In which case why would on earth would you want to hire MK to play in your band if you intended to get him to play in a different style.