Why become a member? ×

Stingray Revitalised

Legion

In a moment of impulse I bought this one some time ago from a chap in Glasgow via Gumtree - I was really disappointed when it arrived, the strings had gone green and so had most of the frets. The worst of it was that the original Blueburst paint had somehow "gone off" like it had been exposed to moisture and the hardener had broken down, leaving it clammy to the touch and easy to scratch off with your nail. I could still see the beauty of the neck however so I held out some hope it would all come good in the end...

So off it went for a respray by Mike at the Bass Merchant whilst I got busy polishing up the remaining bits and bobs. I'm really really pleased with the end result and after playing about with it for a few months now I thought I'd post a picture to inspire a little hope for the Stingray fans out there :)

Jas

[attachment=4422:IMGP1073.JPG]
[attachment=4423:IMGP0965.JPG]

[quote name='Machines' post='111598' date='Dec 31 2007, 07:15 PM']Nicely done - looks lovely. That neck is gorgeous..

Looks like a pre 96 ?[/quote]
The bridge isn't offset and still has mute pad springs so I'd put money on it being probably late 80's or early 90's. Not sure when the 3 band eq was introduced though. Whats the serial, if you don't mind me asking Legion?

Thanks for the comments guys, nice to know the look isn't a bad one :)

It's a 1989, Serial number 29264 - Confirmed by EB as "November 3, 1989 Blueburst, poplar body, shipped to the UK"

I'm stuck on if I should keep this OR my 30th Stingray - erm.. or both ! I'm leaning strongly on both right now.

Have a good new years all...

J

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='111876' date='Jan 1 2008, 05:41 PM']I was going for the keep them both option :huh:[/quote]

Unfortunately I got an offer I just couldn't turn down :) ...erm even though I did sort of start the negotiations off. I can't deny that the 30th was better than my '89 ray - but was it £600 better?

I just had to make the most of the fact that I got it by taking advantage of the very decent exchange rate while I was in the USA. To be honest I bought it knowing full well that it would not lose me money if I sold it so it's worked out really well. Mind you, each time I read another "my 30th rocks" post on the EB website it makes me wince a bit and wonder if I'll regret it down the line

So the '89 ray stays and I've managed to get my boss to bring me a Tony Franklin fretless from his recent trip which was a bonus ( sometimes hard work must actually pay off! )

Jas

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='rodl2005' post='129731' date='Jan 29 2008, 05:35 AM']has the '89 in the pics got piezo's in the bridge or sumthin'? What're the small round 'knobs' on the front of the bridge?[/quote]

They are the string mutes, an old and now long abandoned mechanism that died a death for Health & Safety reasons because some people managed to cut their fingers on them. You can buy aftermarket mute mechanisms to fit to all basses and the older precisions had a lump of foam under the bridge cover that gave a similair effect.

To be honest I rarely use them myself, but hey its nice to have them all the same :)

• 5 weeks later...