Why become a member? ×

Flatwounds

D-COOPER

Thanks for the replies.I changed from DR peacock blues which i loved but i wanted to try flats so i bought the Steve Harris rotosound set.They are 50's but
i have altered the setup to suit.I can obviously just up the volume on my amp but i was just wondering if this was an inherent trait of flats? I will give them
some more time before forming my opinion on them.

[quote name='D-COOPER' post='971511' date='Sep 29 2010, 11:07 AM']Thanks for the replies.I changed from DR peacock blues which i loved but i wanted to try flats so i bought the Steve Harris rotosound set.They are 50's but
i have altered the setup to suit.I can obviously just up the volume on my amp but i was just wondering if this was an inherent trait of flats? I will give them
some more time before forming my opinion on them.[/quote]

If you raised the action you might find that the strings are now further from the pickups. That will reduce volume significantly....

Just a thought.

I used to have roundwounds on my P and then changed to a James Jamerson set. Immediately the action increased due to the heavier tension and heavier gauge (I decided not to adjust the truss rod). Also, the JJ set couldn't be used strung through the body but had to go through the back of the bridge. Once I lowered the action as much as possible and dug in a bit more than usual, I got a similar volume to the original roundwounds. You'll need to ensure the strings sit properly in the nut as well (depending on the shape/size of the string guides) as you could potentially lose some volume here.

I'm now playing TI Jazz flats, which are lower tension and require less 'energy' to play.

Edited by zero9