Why become a member? ×

Audition Hell - Is this just me?

Wolverinebass

[quote name='Golchen' post='971092' date='Sep 28 2010, 08:02 PM']Er ........... any chance you could direct me to one of those auditions ....[/quote]

That's fantastic!! I love it!! :)

I think quite a few of them were filled shortly afterward anyways so you may be out of luck. Some of them weren't even established bands in any way in that they hadn't even played a gig for example but had been doing a bit of recording without a bassist. It's not like I disliked any of the people at all, they were all very nice people as a rule. I just was a bit irritated that a few of them offered me the chance to do what I wanted (within reason naturally) and then recanted so to speak on the audition (surprising me somewhat in the process) hence wasting my time and theirs. On the other hand in other cases, the drummer was rubbish or whatever so it just wasn't worth getting on board despite being offered the gig. Hopefully I'll have more luck soon.

I can see MaxRossel's point. I don't know how he put up with that guitarist for 2 years. I'd have got rid of him long before that regardless of how good he was as he sounded like a bit too intransigent to work with creatively (no offence intended if this gent happens to be a friend). If there was a compatability issue like that and it was me, I'd have left before the 2nd rehearsal as clearly he'd walked into the wrong band.

On numerous occasions I've went to an audition and played everything exactly as it is thinking that would work better for me. If truth be told the times I've played what I wanted have been less by quite a margin so I'm not sabotaging myself by overplaying and then moaning about it afterwards. I've never, ever got an audition where I've played exactly what was already recorded. In the end, I decided not to bother for a while as I began to wonder if it made any difference at all. Sometimes I got stuff for doing what I wanted, sometimes not. Swings and roundabouts if people like how you play. Besides I tend to find that the times I do one scenario the other is what's required. Or not. It's always at the back of my mind what approach I choose if I don't get the gig, would I have got it if I'd went the other way? You just don't know.

Generally I just try my best and hope that's enough. Just like most folk.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' post='971169' date='Sep 28 2010, 09:28 PM']I can see MaxRossel's point. I don't know how he put up with that guitarist for 2 years. I'd have got rid of him long before that regardless of how good he was as he sounded like a bit too intransigent to work with creatively (no offence intended if this gent happens to be a friend). If there was a compatability issue like that and it was me, I'd have left before the 2nd rehearsal as clearly he'd walked into the wrong band.[/quote]

No offence taken. As it happens, the guy started behaving like a complete bell-end after we sacked him, writing us petty, vengeful little emails, refusing to return gear that wasn't his and so on. A lot of it was "you guys are going to suck without me". So he's no longer a friend.

As for how I put up with him for two years, well I guess you could say that I broke one of my own rules, in that we were good mates and I didn't want to hurt his feelings so I didn't sack him. I only made the decision that he had to go when he started openly acting like he was only tolerating our choices and we should be grateful for it.

I should have sacked him a lot sooner, and I did want to, but there was a lot of pressure coming from various places to go ahead with it.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' post='968527' date='Sep 26 2010, 04:37 PM']....Anyway, I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are on this....[/quote]
Here goes, then!

I think you've summed things up pretty well. I wouldn't want a guy with the attitudes and ego that you describe in my band. You're not a "team player", so you will be restricting your opportunities and possibilities.

You don't seem to understand the concept of a band or a song. The guy in Coldplay is fantastic for Coldplay. Anything more would be wrong, so his playing is exactly right.

A slightly different slant on auditions.

My band lost it's singer so I advertised in the usual places. From the small number of replies, I invited a guy to the next rehearsal and gave him the current set list and said to try out 3 or 4 numbers.

So we all turn at the rooms at the usual time except for the drummer. I introduce everyone to the new guy and then say "Where's Ivan ?" (drummer). Turns out Ivan is trawling round Leeds trying to find a spare key for the rooms cos he's lost his. And yes, he's the only key holder. She's very sheepish when he lands back to tell us there's no key.

Very embaressing with a new guy in tow so I apologise profusely and suggest we go for a pint.

The net result is a very positive and productive hour spent getting to know the guy and him getting to know is. There's clearly a personality fit and a fit in terms of musical taste. Of course we've not heard him sing yet.

But next week, he'll turn up in a less nervous state than he would have done having at least got to know us beforehand. Hopefully, we'll all get the best out of it.

I think we'll do any future 'auditions' this way. I know people will say some of this can be sorted on the phone beforehand but invariably the contact tends to be between the applicant and the advert placer - not the rest of the band

[quote name='mikegatward' post='971750' date='Sep 29 2010, 02:31 PM']A slightly different slant on auditions.

My band lost it's singer so I advertised in the usual places. From the small number of replies, I invited a guy to the next rehearsal and gave him the current set list and said to try out 3 or 4 numbers.

So we all turn at the rooms at the usual time except for the drummer. I introduce everyone to the new guy and then say "Where's Ivan ?" (drummer). Turns out Ivan is trawling round Leeds trying to find a spare key for the rooms cos he's lost his. And yes, he's the only key holder. She's very sheepish when he lands back to tell us there's no key.

Very embaressing with a new guy in tow so I apologise profusely and suggest we go for a pint.

The net result is a very positive and productive hour spent getting to know the guy and him getting to know is. There's clearly a personality fit and a fit in terms of musical taste. Of course we've not heard him sing yet.

But next week, he'll turn up in a less nervous state than he would have done having at least got to know us beforehand. Hopefully, we'll all get the best out of it.

I think we'll do any future 'auditions' this way. I know people will say some of this can be sorted on the phone beforehand but invariably the contact tends to be between the applicant and the advert placer - not the rest of the band[/quote]

I think it's a great idea, but not to be devil's advocate, I've met some nice guys who are not good enough for the project or band.. On the flip side I've met a great musos who are a pain in the butt :-P

Yes...you might like himm but you may still have to tell him no. A good idea os some respets but I'd only do it this way if I was pretty sure the playing side was right.

When we put our latest unit together, we meet round someones house and bashed away acoustically..and we made it clear that this would be the basis on whther to proceed.

It worked really well..so then we went to the drummer stage.. ha ha !!

For my next unit..which will supplement what I have going as my mani band.. I will pick off a few guys I have played with in dep bands and build from there.
I already know the gtr I am going to build this one round.. and probably the singer and keyboard.

The work load will not be massive...good gigs when everyone fancies it as they all have other stuff to tick over with.

[quote name='JTUK' post='971796' date='Sep 29 2010, 03:37 PM']Yes...you might like himm but you may still have to tell him no. A good idea os some respets but I'd only do it this way if I was pretty sure the playing side was right.

When we put our latest unit together, we meet round someones house and bashed away acoustically..and we made it clear that this would be the basis on whther to proceed.

It worked really well..so then we went to the drummer stage.. ha ha !!

For my next unit..which will supplement what I have going as my mani band.. I will pick off a few guys I have played with in dep bands and build from there.
I already know the gtr I am going to build this one round.. and probably the singer and keyboard.

The work load will not be massive...good gigs when everyone fancies it as they all have other stuff to tick over with.[/quote]

+1 That's how I've got all my work and usually do it myself.

If the band is someone else's baby, then attempting to completely change basslines is a bit of a risk. Some bands have a guy that writes all the songs and want their songs to be played exactly as they imagine them in their head. Others seem to have a general idea of where they want the songs to go and are prepared to change and adapt to the ideas of others.

I think I have my basic audition 'routine' regardless of style

1. Bring my Precision, it fits every style and does not really immediately categorise me as a rock/blues/metal/folk bassist. Lets face it, there are non-bassists that distrust any bassists that do not play a Fender.
2. Run through the songs as they are on any recording, or if there isn't a pre-written bassline, just play what you think the song needs
3. If everybody is happy, gently ask if you can change a few parts of the bassline, usually it isn't a problem if you have just done No. 2.
4. If they insist on me playing it a certain way, I will for the remainder of the rehearsal, but at the end will probably say that the project is not quite what I'm looking for unless its a) its a paid gig b ) the band is really good even with really simple basslines, maybe when they write their next batch of songs they will make more use of the bass and let me write the basslines?

It sounds like the original poster didn't get on musically with the folk. Its not really a big thing, finding the right band and/or good musicians isn't always easy. Just keep looking.

Edited by thodrik

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='971023' date='Sep 28 2010, 07:04 PM']That's the ticket. Musical compatability is [i]so [/i]over-rated on BC. A nice blazer and cravat combination goes a long way in this business.

Either way, have fun, mon petit choufleur.[/quote]
Thank you kind sir. (I'm just hoping you didn't just call me a cauliflower :) )

The good news is that they were suitably attired. We all looked like middle aged men that have not come to terms with the fact we are not in our late teens anymore. And hence in striving to look cool we looked anything but. Absolutely perfect and we all got on famously. :lol: Myself, I even wore my very bright white running shoes (and for the record I have never run in them) to give me a little more chav cred. Unfortunately the blazer and cravat are at the dry cleaners.