Why become a member? ×

Any idea what this bass is?

gjones

Does anybody in Basschat land have any idea what make my ancient P/J actually is. I bought it in 1984 secondhand but have never been able to figure out who made it. I do remember a small Mighty Mite transfer being on the headstock when I got it so I have assumed it was put together from parts either from Mighty Mite or possibly Schecter as they were also selling bass and guitar parts back in the 70's/80's. For a short period in the early 80's Mighty Mite actually made complete basses in this P/J configuration but they were a natural wood finish and had contoured bodies.
When I had it serviced about 15 years ago the guitar tech hadn't any idea what it was either but said the electronic components were very good quality. It sounds great and weighs a bleeding ton.
[attachment=59694:bass_long.JPG]

[quote name='RhysP' post='968123' date='Sep 26 2010, 07:55 AM']The body looks like an old (as in late 70s -early 80s) Schecter to me.[/quote]

Yes I remember kinda similiar Schecter basses, with the binding around the body, back in the 80's/90's but I've never seen one like mine. Schecter used to be top of the line stuff back then.

Oh and no I'm not selling it. I've kept it for the last 30 years, through thick and thin, and its never let me down so I think I'll be hanging onto it.