Why become a member? ×

Fender TV combos, vintage Fender valve amps

essexbasscat

Hi all

Did a low volume reheasal yesterday playing my RW Precision through a little Fender Champion T10 with the lower frequencies turned up a bit.
Was really surprised at how warm and round it sounded, a really pleasant platform that everything else just sat on.

Got me thinking about the Fender amps, the older valve ones and the newer TV series. Also noticed that another thread by Beedster asking for combo recommendations, no- one recommended the Fender combos.

Any reason why? just curious about everyone's opinions of the Fender bass amps really, both valve and 'other'

Did a bit of research and found Pete Academy's recent thread on TV combos. Volume a bit of an issue ?

Has anyone compared a Fender valve head and an EBS Fafner head ?

Noticed the Fender Pro 300 head, all valve, but costs a morgage. Any less financially painful solutions out there ?

thanks all

T

Edited by essexbasscat

Heard that they produce some really nice, creamy tones, but the volume may be on the low side.

In particular, the Bassman series seems to have been around a while and a little research reveals that some early ones had black fronts and the silver fronts came in sometime during the '70's. Apparently, they were the amp designed to accompany the Fender Precision and well liked by guitarists.

THe circuitry seems to have changed a bit over the years. Were there any real differences in the sound over the years ? were there better years than others ?

T

Edited by essexbasscat

I was ready to fall in love with them but tried a couple out in Dawsons in Reading... they were ok, fine but not worth the money and certainly heavy. I sometimes think the shop isn't the best place to properly test one (er, if you know what I mean!?) but I was expecting to hammer a recently cleared credit card and happily left with nothing. As a huge Fender fan I was ready to be worshiping these but, no. I'd try one again but they didn't live up to the hype in my head

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='967357' date='Sep 25 2010, 09:47 AM']Heard that they produce some really nice, creamy tones, but the volume may be on the low side...THe circuitry seems to have changed a bit over the years. Were there any real differences in the sound over the years ? were there better years than others ?[/quote]
Indeed. The Bassman amp in tweed and brown/blackface config while tonally yummy is rarely adequate for modern gigging levels. A monumentally pricey original tweed open-backed 4x10 combo might be a holy grail for guitarists, but is known to fart bass out at volumes that would not trouble a nervous maiden aunt. In the early 60's there was something of a stepchange in circuitry when Fender introduced the piggy-back Brownface amps, shortly followed by the Blackfaces. Around 1968 Fender switched to the Silverface look and cleaned the circuit up a bit later still, but it was always a pretty quiet amp. Hence the eventual introduction of the Bassman 135, using an ultra-linear transformer, IIRC.

Being in fortunate possession of a 1966 Blackface with an appropriate 2x12 cab, I can affirm that it exhibits a juicy roundness which, while ideal for recording, puts out a quiet 40w suitable only for 'Unplugged' gigs, unless augmented by an external PA.

The 135 is an admirable gigging tool and, lacking the guitard-driven 'cachet' of the earlier examples, can be obtained at a surprisingly low price. If buying older Fenders, try to get an 'export' version with switchable mains voltage - external 110/240v step transformers are such a hassle. The Blackface mains transformer can't be rewired for UK voltage, AFAIK.

Edited by skankdelvar