Why become a member? ×

PRS Basses??

Oggy

Hi Basschatters,

[size=4][b]PRS Bass Guitars[/b][/size]

Availability / Prices / Thoughts on them??

Anyone know of UK suppliers websites where I can have a look at what PRS offer in the line of Basses?

I’ve not come across anyone using a PRS Bass, I’m just curious about them having seen and played a wee bit on a PRS Tremonti SE last night :lol: (Forgive me father for I have sinned - it had 6 teeny weenie strings on it and curiosity got the better of me).

Oggy :)

[quote name='Oggy' post='966432' date='Sep 24 2010, 09:52 AM']Why is this?

Oggy :)[/quote]

You pay a mortgage amount of money for a fancy-looking US-made instrument with a 10 top and inlays and 5,000 switching options and a month later you realise you'd have done fine with a £500 Ibanez.

I'm primarily a guitar player, and the reason us guitards don't like PRS is that they're "bank manager" guitars. You pay three grand for it because you've been lusting after it since you were thirteen, but you never take it out of your house because it's too valuable and everyone says stuff like "more money than talent" behind your back when you get it out, so you end up playing all your shows with your £300 strat. Then eventually you do the sensible thing and sell it and buy a cheap Gibson Les Paul, and you wonder why you didn't do that in the first place.

The reason I personally don't like them is that they've been so overdesigned they have no character. If I'm putting down four figures on an instrument, a bit of character is the least I expect.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='966444' date='Sep 24 2010, 10:04 AM']I'm primarily a guitar player, and the reason us guitards don't like PRS is that they're "bank manager" guitars. You pay three grand for it because you've been lusting after it since you were thirteen, but you never take it out of your house because it's too valuable and everyone says stuff like "more money than talent"[/quote]

Oh?! I know a load of guitar players who love PRS and regularly take them out of the house.
Funny that.

[quote name='Doddy' post='966463' date='Sep 24 2010, 10:20 AM']Oh?! I know a load of guitar players who love PRS and regularly take them out of the house.
Funny that.[/quote]

They probably don't play the vermin-infested toilets I play shows in. A lot of the people I know have expensive guitars for home and rehearsal and cheap pieces of sh*t for when they play shows. The only guy I know who takes his PRS to gigs, it's one of the cheaper bolt-on models.

That's not including PRS SEs, obv.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='966450' date='Sep 24 2010, 10:09 AM']We were joking about sorry, The Burpster will be along soon, he is the authority on PRS basses, he will give you all the info you need.[/quote]

Hi Wayne,

I was at the rehearsal studio last night and one of the staff members was playing on his ‘PRS Tremonti SE’ six string thing so I had a little play on it, I have to say that it was a really nice (IMO) bit of kit. The fret board was nice and wide and not too thick, great action and the finish and hardware looked pretty robust, nice and light as well. I asked him about pricing and he told me you could pick up a really good second hand one for £200 - £300, he wasn’t telling porkies – I checked it out on evilbay this morning. I’m in the market for a Guitar at the moment and from my experience last night I wouldn’t turn my nose up to one of these. My thinking was – if PRS do a nice Guitar they might do a nice Bass – I was a bit surprised at the initial reaction here.

It would be interesting to hear from site members their thoughts and experiences, if any, of PRS Bass guitars though. Chances are I’d not be after a PRS Bass; unless they make a Short or Medium Scale one, hard to find any information on them though.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='966499' date='Sep 24 2010, 10:49 AM']I love the PRS Tremonti SE but I don't think they do a low price point bass, I've never played one of their basses, they are pricey and they don't look like my type of thing.

Sorry for the earlier joshing.[/quote]

Hi Wayne,

Never be sorry for 'joshing', I'm sure it helps the world turn - well that a few quid plus loads of music of course.

I am pretty sure you will get a good few here vouch for them. All I know is that despite their looks, :) gtrs ALL rave about them..Never heard a gtr say a bad thing about them.. talking about gtrs here...and I would think the basses would affect their owners the same way.

just my 2p..on heresay.

Also, FWIW, there is a world of difference between the SE PRSs and the full-fat ones.

Athough the SEs are really well-made and offer very decent value for money, in terms of sound and feel they're only vaguely similar to their big brothers. Since as far as I know PRS don't do SE basses, I wouldn't think that playing an SE guitar would provide much help in terms of determining how much you'd like a PRS bass.

That said, and beyond all my slagging off up there, PRS guitars offer really spectacular and remarkably consistent build quality, so if you do go for a PRS bass I don't think you'd have to worry about picking up a dud.

I really liked the last PRS attempt at a bass, but not the cost. PRS are primarily a guitar company (which is strange as Paul Reed Smith was a bass player and his build was a bass) and have never really put any weight behind marketing the basses they have produced. This is probably down to cost of advertising/marketing versus return, they already make a good living out of guitars. But I do wish they'd do an SE version of their last bass effort as it would be affordable and the quality of their SE gear is great.