Why become a member? ×

The big bad Bongo (or a Sterling HS)

Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='973981' date='Oct 1 2010, 01:51 PM']Thanks again! I think before I venture down EITHER a Big Al or Bongo route, I need to actually play one. Sterling 5 is a no brainer, I love the sound and the neck is the same as my Ray 5HS.[/quote]

No worries and I agree. Try a load of them and try them back to back with you Ray 5HS - it will be become clear very quickly which path you will take. Keep us all posted :)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Chris2112' post='966040' date='Sep 23 2010, 08:26 PM']Price?

I quite like the Bongo. Having played a couple they've sounded great and played nicely. The looks are much better in person too; they look miles better strapped on! Probably my favourite bass in the Musicman range, although I do seriously question the use of basswood in the body, it seems like a bit of a cheapo option!

I remember seeing Joe Satriani live being supported by some guy called Johnny A. Johnny's bassist played a white Bongo 5 HH and sounded absolutely dreadful, like he was behind a wall of pillows. The Dave LaRue came onstage with Joe playing a variety of Bongos which sounded consistently great! So the player has a lot to answer for![/quote]

I went to this gig, although I thought Johnny. A's bassist sounded sweet. Walking basslines a plenty. Dave La Rue's one of my favourite bass players and he used both a Sterling and a Bongo with Satriani (mainly the sterling). I preferred the Bongo, the Sterling's neck is cramped chordally and the tone not beefy enough - I vote Bongo.

I know this is not quite what you're asking.......but how about a G&L 2000 or G&L Asat Bass if you are looking with something with an impressive range of sound options and capable of delivering a big sound as well as more conventional P/J-type sounds.

I only suggest this because I've been a dedicated P, J n Ray nut for 20 years and felt I wanted something with a bit more variation of sounds. Actually I wanted one bass that could cover P, J n Ray tones and have something of its own. The pups and electrics on the L2000 and Asat basses fit the bill and play like a dream. You can also pick them up used for around £600-700.

I learnt that G&L do have a sound and character all of their own that is truly great - now my P J n Ray all stay in their cases! Never thought that would happen.

Back to the Bongo, I've heard great things about this bass too, even if it does look like a bed pan!
I remember seeing the first StingRays over here back in the late 70s / early 80s and they seemed to have landed from another planet then. So I wouldn't be surprised if the Bongo's looks grow on all of us and become a future classic.

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='999647' date='Oct 25 2010, 07:41 AM']I know this is not quite what you're asking.......but how about a G&L 2000 or G&L Asat Bass if you are looking with something with an impressive range of sound options and capable of delivering a big sound as well as more conventional P/J-type sounds.

I remember seeing the first StingRays over here back in the late 70s / early 80s and they seemed to have landed from another planet then. So I wouldn't be surprised if the Bongo's looks grow on all of us and become a future classic.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion. As Ive hasd such great experiences (so far) with EBMM basses, Im sticking with what I know, especially when it comes to 5 strings! Its took me a long time to find a neck I really get on with, with a quality low B. Not saying G&L wont do that for me, I just dont want to gamble at the moment.

I agree, the Bongo is slowly becoming quite a normal look....almost. Now the Big Al is the 'weird' creation, yet when I tested one out, it felt so comfortable I knew I had to have one.

[quote name='charic' post='999660' date='Oct 25 2010, 08:29 AM']Bongo (not thought long enough for neck and colour)[/quote]

They are always rosewood boards, as apparently maple boards didnt look right, so they dont offer it. Personally I preder rosewood, so thats fine.

The neck is painted then satin finished. I admit this is intriguing me as to whether I will like it, but apparently it is very smooth and comfortable.

The main postive comment I get is that when you plug it in, the tone is a monster!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1000836' date='Oct 26 2010, 09:42 AM']They are always rosewood boards, as apparently maple boards didnt look right, so they dont offer it. Personally I preder rosewood, so thats fine.

The neck is painted then satin finished. I admit this is intriguing me as to whether I will like it, but apparently it is very smooth and comfortable.

The main postive comment I get is that when you plug it in, the tone is a monster![/quote]

I found the neck to be something I didnt pay attention to while I was playing, and thats how a neck should be IMO!

I really wish I had the chance to have my old Bongo back. I wasnt very mature as a bass player when I had it and I just dont think I did it justice :)

I do however remember that the 4 band eq was hard work. Loads and loads of good tones on tap but you have to work pretty hard to get a really great tone.

[quote name='MythSte' post='1001095' date='Oct 26 2010, 01:31 PM']I found the neck to be something I didnt pay attention to while I was playing, and thats how a neck should be IMO!

I really wish I had the chance to have my old Bongo back. I wasnt very mature as a bass player when I had it and I just dont think I did it justice :)

I do however remember that the 4 band eq was hard work. Loads and loads of good tones on tap but you have to work pretty hard to get a really great tone.[/quote]

im finding that I am constantly changing my EQ settings and havent quite found a sound I have settled on. I feel there are just too much options hahahaha. Its like a kid in a sweety shop at times.

They are just too good.

Have you seriously got 4 basses (one of which is a Ray and two are Big Al's) on order and you're still not sure about Sterling V Bongo...! :)

2010 EB MM Stingray 4 H 3 Band EQ in White/White plate w/rosewood board (on order!)
2010 EBMM Big Al 5 SSS in Vintage Sunburst/Vintage White Pearloid Plate w/rosewood board (on order!)
2010 EBMM Big Al 4 SSS in White/Tort plate w/rosewood board (on order!)
2010 EBMM Sterling 5 HS in Tobacco Burst/Black Plate w/rosewood board (on order!)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='bazza' post='1031713' date='Nov 21 2010, 07:20 PM']hi how much is the bass[/quote]

yeah I had one, click on my signature line to view it, mine was a double Humbuckers 5 strings with a piezo pickup, I've just sold it to a bloke in Germany. Very nice bass, extremely touch sensitive and dynamic, great ergonomics, debatable marmite looks but on stage no one would have the balls to argue with you when you played it.

Here are a few prices from the distributors

[url="http://www.musicmanuk.co.uk/stock_bongo4.htm"]http://www.musicmanuk.co.uk/stock_bongo4.htm[/url]

Edited by Grand Wazoo

Well, I still want one. But, I really dont need one. I prefer the stylings of the Big Al at the moment, so Im going to enjoy whats coming and leave the Bongo until I get to try one out properly.

Im still currently looking for the Jazz bass for 'me', which hopefully will not cost nowhere near as much.