Why become a member? ×

Pimped my Squier VM Jazz with Chi-Sonics

Albi

About a month ago I managed to find a used Squier VM Jazz Bass.
I was thinking a lot about pimping out a cheap passive bass as a back-up for my active Zon.
But instead of doing some obvious upgrades I went a little further when I heard someone on our Dutch bass forum was about to order Chi-Sonics.
He had already ordered them before directly from Hanson and pays the same amount shops are supposed to.
So I decided to order me a set of J-Sonics.
Since I'll be going to London to study at the ICMP, I was a little anxious about the time-frame because the pick-ups still had to be build!
Yesterday the one who modded my Squier received the pick-ups and now it's closed to finished.
I present my Squier Vintage Modified CS:

Upgrades include:
-Gotoh bridge
-CTS pots+series/parallel switch
-Sprague orange drop
-New control plate
-Hanson J-sonics
-Fender neckplate+decal, although that was done by the previous owner.
-JB knobs

I'll be picking her up somewhere next week but he already told me she sounds monstrous!

Edited by Albi

[quote name='Albi' post='960703' date='Sep 18 2010, 07:42 PM']I'll be picking her up somewhere next week but he already told me she sounds monstrous![/quote]

Oh no you're not one of these people who likes to personify inanimate objects are you? LOL jk. Looks good. Clearly some very high quality electronics going in there. You must really like how it plays presumably? I must say i've not really ever gone for putting really high quality pots in any of my guitars but i do like BIG pots since they're a bit easier to wire lolz.

To me, a bass will always be a "she".
I had a Squier VM like this before and I really like the feeling of the bass.
The neck with a satin finish is really nice to play instead of a lacquered neck.
The pick-ups are known to sound a bit like Darkstars: very nice lows, enhanced low-mids and audible, but not glassy, highs.
Plus they are very dynamic in the way they react to you playing.

[quote name='Tait' post='966386' date='Sep 24 2010, 09:08 AM']I'm loving it. Very cool :) Nice bit of wood there, you see a lot of the VMJs with practically no grain at all.

What does the Sprague orange drop do though? And what IS it?[/quote]

Well it does [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/Sprague_%27Orange_Drop%27_0.047_Capacitor_.047CAP-OD"]this[/url]

'A perfect upgrade capacitor offering a smoother, warmer tone over standard ceramic caps. Generally used on tone pots for guitars that have Singlecoils. A simple way to improve the tone of your Strat! 100v.'

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='iconic' post='966965' date='Sep 24 2010, 05:46 PM']wow, those pups look sexy, nice work fitting them!

I'm just thinking about sexing my VMJ up.....couple of questions

1/ Have you sourced pickguards (scratchplates)?
2/ Where did you get those Fender decals, they look A1?

many thanks[/quote]

Thanks!

1/ I don't really understand what you mean with that?
2/ The decal was done by a previous owner but a friend of mine knows where to get them, so I'll ask him.

I was able to try the bass on my Markbass set today and WOW.
The pick-ups are are the most dynamic ones I've ever played.
With a soft touch they sound pretty nice, but when you really dig-in they growl like a beast!
With the series/parallel-switch engaged it gets a bit of the sound of a P-bass but with a more cutting edge to it.
This is probably the best Jazz I've had so far, and the urge for another one with Chi-Sonics is taking me over.
Maybe I'll make one with the humbucker...

[quote name='Albi' post='967075' date='Sep 24 2010, 07:45 PM']Thanks!

1/ I don't really understand what you mean with that?[/quote]

I have been trying to find a new scratchplate for my VMJ but can't see anything off the shelf...maybe MIM J's are close, I wondered if you had tried anything?