Why become a member? ×

Michael Manring event

Born 2B Mild

Folks, I've just had a brief message from Joe Zon ...he and Michael are in the country and will be in Harrogate tomorrow. He also says that there was a problem with Alex Bershadsky's journey to the UK and it means he won't be joining us. :lol:

However, Michael will be pulling out the stops (or tuning pegs) ) to do an even better show. :)

Went to see the Manring last night in harrogate. He was jaw droppingly good :)

An amazing player, very, very musical stuff on the whole. He did two sets, little bit of chatting about the basses, but mainly just some amazing playing.

Without doubt the best £10 I have spent.......stunning, just a stunning player...

Joe Zon was also there with a number of Zon Basses, he gave a short talk over how he started up and what got him into making the Zon Basses, really relaxed and informal....

Had real good laugh with Owain (bottomendian) top bloke - always good to meet real people......:)

And finished off the night with a healthy kebab.....:)

Big thanks to Phil for organising the event (and thanks for getting the lights off disco mode :lol: )

Dave

Edited by david_l_perry

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='996901' date='Oct 22 2010, 12:00 PM']Went to see the Manring last night in harrogate. He was jaw droppingly good :)

An amazing player, very, very musical stuff on the whole. He did two sets, little bit of chatting about the basses, but mainly just some amazing playing.

Without doubt the best £10 I have spent.......stunning, just a stunning player...

Joe Zon was also there with a number of Zon Basses, he gave a short talk over how he started up and what got him into making the Zon Basses, really relaxed and informal....

Had real good laugh with Owain (bottomendian) top bloke - always good to meet real people......:)

And finished off the night with a healthy kebab.....:)

Big thanks to Phil for organising the event (and thanks for getting the lights off disco mode :lol: )

Dave[/quote]

Ha ha, I saw you 2 going into the kebab shop just before I caught my bus home, thanks for letting me share a table with you guys (forgot to introduce myself!).
Cheers to Phil for organising a refreshingly different bass experience! I loved some of the middle-eastern sounding stuff played over drones - excellent use of eBow.

Jon

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='996934' date='Oct 22 2010, 12:22 PM']Ha ha, I saw you 2 going into the kebab shop just before I caught my bus home, thanks for letting me share a table with you guys (forgot to introduce myself!).
Cheers to Phil for organising a refreshingly different bass experience! [b]I loved some of the middle-eastern sounding stuff played over drones - excellent use of eBow[/b].

Jon[/quote]

Ooooh did he do Adhan then?

Love that, totally mind boggling!!

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='996901' date='Oct 22 2010, 12:00 PM']Went to see the Manring last night in harrogate. He was jaw droppingly good :)

Had real good laugh with Owain (bottomendian) top bloke - always good to meet real people......:lol:

And finished off the night with a healthy kebab.....:(

Big thanks to Phil for organising the event (and thanks for getting the lights off disco mode :D )[/quote]
A big +1 to all of this. Especially me being a top bloke. :)

No, it was an utterly inspiring evening. Phenomenal playing, some beautiful Zons on display (the satin finish on some of them is simply stunning), and a good laugh with good people. There were some moments in MM's sets where there was an audible gasp/snort from the audience at the sheer audacity of some of the things he was capable of pulling off... and all of it sounding musical and fluid. When he tore through "Teen Town", playing both the bassline and accompanying chords simultaneously (without looper), I think my jaw actually fell off.

And MM's a lovely fella. He let me play his main Hyperbass in the interval. Chipped to hell and with a [i]very[/i] low action.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='996934' date='Oct 22 2010, 12:22 PM']Ha ha, I saw you 2 going into the kebab shop just before I caught my bus home, thanks for letting me share a table with you guys (forgot to introduce myself!).[/quote]
Ah, face to (user)name! I was the little bespectacled fella sitting between you and the man-mountain that is Perry. :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='996943' date='Oct 22 2010, 12:35 PM']Ooooh did he do Adhan then?[/quote]
He did. To put it politely, it was f***ing amazing.

Right, I'm going to stop gushing now. :lol:

It was just the most rewarding thing seeing so many people that went away happy, inspired and astounded. There were seven people there on the student F.O.C. list who, I hope, may have had a positive nudge to their musical futures.

Thanks to all that came, and also to JonnyLad & Yorks5stringer for all their stage crew help.

The guys should be arriving in Exeter right now, so anyone going to the Mansons show are very lucky indeed. I was able to tell Michael this morning some of the nice things said on this thread. He was touched. He inspired me as a warm positive man, apart from his musical talent.

BTW Michael didn't have a any looping facility, it was a delay effect.

If only I had some eBows to sell last night! At least most of those Zons on show are in our stock. I loved hearing Mrs Retroman's comment concerning Alembics!

From what I could see of folk trying the displayed basses, the hit of the evening was the [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/bass-guitars/zon-basses/zon-sonus-4-string-fretless-black-redwood-top/"]Sonus 4-string fretless[/url] which [u]is[/u] a beautiful instrument :)

That was her :) . She dabbles a little on bass from time to time, but I think that was the first time she had picked a bass up in best side of a year. She did actually get quite good at one point, but other interests have taken over really.

Basschat shootout? Would have been good, but for some reason my mind always goes blank for what to play at these kind of events! :lol: I was amazed by how nice the Sonus 5 was to play, on the brief go I had with it. :)

[quote name='retroman' post='997227' date='Oct 22 2010, 03:58 PM']Basschat shootout? Would have been good, but for some reason my mind always goes blank for what to play at these kind of events! :)[/quote]
[b]Shout[/b]-out, not shoot-out! :lol: Y'know... "All mah BassChatters at the back holla!" "Woop-woop!" That sort of thing. :)

God, the best you'd get out of me in a high-pressure shoot-out would be an A-major scale. :)

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='997222' date='Oct 22 2010, 03:55 PM']I loved hearing Mrs Retroman's comment concerning Alembics![/quote]

She's a real character :) I managed to get her to have a go on my Alembic a couple of weeks ago, and I think her closing thought was something like "yeah, it's ok I suppose, but it's not an old Fender"! :)

Mrs R was very taken with the fretless, to the point of GAS! :lol:

[quote name='retroman' post='997491' date='Oct 22 2010, 08:16 PM']We should have made up some little "Basschat" name tags so we could spot each other :)[/quote]
Actually there's an idea there. Whenever a similar event occurs in future, I'll reserve tables/seating just for Basschatters to commune.

Just sorting out a blog posting about the gig now, including a review written by 17-year old Alex Bates + a few choice comments from this thread/emails received (anyone not wanting their words used, I'll happily remove them if I'm asked).

Phil