Why become a member? ×

The Jagaur and I???

Prime_BASS

Soon I would have had my jaguar bass a year, and I'm in 2 minds weather inshould get rid or stick with it.

Recently I've had trouble going from the playability and sound of my SUB to the jag, and a recent band practice with my current setup at a reasonable volume didn't go so well.
The sound just musher in the background unless I got aggressive at the bridge, then the highs just sounded thin, and was uncomfortable to play. I'm also struggling to find a nice sounding and comfortable position to play it finger style.
It's just not working for me at all.
The goods are that I do enjoy playing it noodling at home, and it's got some sentimental value, it's been the bass that has helped me go from bad to sort of ok, with a passable slap technic.
I enjoy the stingray tone a lot more, and it sounds better with my band aswell.
Like a lot of people say there is nothing that does it like a Ray.

So what shall I do? Keep it or chuck it?

Those basses are like chalk and cheese. For me the choice is easy keep the SUB and ditch the Jag [b]but[/b] my advice for you is do not make any rash judgements on sound based on what you hear at rehearsals, you get a better idea at gigs - if possible get yourself out front during sound-check.

Edited by Ou7shined

I'd only sell it if I could get a good price. I took it to a friendsgig and insisted he used it, so I could more or less get an idea of sound with out me playing it.
I still feel it's got a lot less definition of notes, the upgraded pups but IMO it's only a good sound when played with a pick, and that's just not how I role these days, and if I do start using a pick the stingray tone I have is a great pick tone.

If I was to sell this I'd need it replacing, unless I keepthe sub. If the SUB is a keeper, I'd mod it with a few pits khans and a status neck, but if not irony really want To end up with 2 stingrays.
GAS stinks...

Hi there

The Jag has a much more versatile eq setup, so you really should be able to get a far wider variety of sounds out of it than the SUB.

I'd stick with it and try all the different combinations you possibly can. For example, I'd imagine running the pickups in series, with a bit of extra bass and treble boost from the active circuit and panned slightly to the bridge pickup, should give you a really good sound.

Best of luck

Gareth

[quote name='walbassist' post='960173' date='Sep 18 2010, 09:23 AM']Hi there

The Jag has a much more versatile eq setup, so you really should be able to get a far wider variety of sounds out of it than the SUB.

I'd stick with it and try all the different combinations you possibly can. For example, I'd imagine running the pickups in series, with a bit of extra bass and treble boost from the active circuit and panned slightly to the bridge pickup, should give you a really good sound.

Best of luck

Gareth[/quote]

unfortunatly there is no pickup panning on these. this is 1 mod i would propably insist this bass should get.

infact,,,how easy would that mod be and what kinda cost are we talking??? anyone in glasgow area that can do this??

I know what your saying about versatile EQ options! But that inability to select output volume of each pickup is it's only down fall.

Having had it nearly a year I've exhausted all it's options. An the pre-amp (on mine) isn't so fab, the bass side for example where it feels like it goes from -0db to +10db with no in between, the treble is the same, and it would be possible go upgrade it, but you'd have to mod the preamp to get it to fit and go in the jag with out kidding te jag.

I could probably install a stacked volume knob where the master volume one sits, but the way they are wired they go to the on off board first and the master volume last (after the preamp) so it would be a big job for myself go take on without a decent schematic to work from. The only other way is pickup height which I have been doing, but lowering the neck pickup gives a lot more low mids and this bass isn't lacking in that, and doesn't need more.

However a lot of it is down to playability and it's basic tone mixing in with my band, im pretty positive it would be fine in a 3 man setup that played a lot quieter stuff than what our originals are.

I think yr question has a couple of possible answers, depending on yr stitaution.

Have you established that the Ray is the right bass for you, and you only ever intend on gigging the Ray? If so, will you need a similar backup?. If so, can you afford a backup and keep the Jag? If yes to all of these, there you are, keep the Jag, unless you know you`re not likely to ever play it, or need to fund yr backup bass.

I found "my" instrument is the humble old MIA Fender Precision - as such, have had a clearout of basses that I no longer play, as I thought it a bit of a waste them sitting in a rack at home not being played. For sentimental reasons, I would have loved to have kept them all, but in practical terms, thought someone else shd be playing them, and giving them the attention they deserve.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='960450' date='Sep 18 2010, 03:05 PM']Just a shot in the dark but has anyone ever tried removing the pre amp and converting it to passive? I agree about the on off nature of the pre amp. It`s sometimes all or nothing but how would it sound passive?

Or am I just being a muppett? :)

Jez[/quote]

yeah your a muppet gerry hahhahaha, you can turn the jag active or passive matey

I could do change the preamp to something more high quality and do the usual CTS pots + orange drop, and see about adding a stacked vol/vol knob but it's a big job due to the jags over-complicated wiring, and I'm pretty positive it would just be more of the same results sound wise.

And at the end of the day it still won't be as comfortable/enjoyable/easy as what my SUB is, which in essence is a large part of this small quest.

I'm also fighting gas over a stingray a friend has found over in the states, same sorta period as the one I have ordered, except te neck has some amazing figuring.

I think I've decided to put this up for swapsies.

It's just not working, the sound is perfect for a 3 piece jazz band, and the preamp gives you an extra aggressive edge

Although the neck is great, when stood up it sits to far away from me, and in any position I have other that sat down with on my thigh is uncomfortable, for my hand for my arm for my back. So it's not doing me any favours.

Also I could do a tone of upgrades and I have a spare load of chrome and scratchplate to use if I needed extra switches, but in reality, it's not gonna change the sound or the way it plays, is it?