Why become a member? ×

'Lilac' coloured wrap on flats

warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='956360' date='Sep 14 2010, 06:43 PM']I have a set of flats with lilac coloured silk wraps, which I bought from someone on here and for the life of me I can't remember what make they are... anyone help me out as I'm tired of looking through threads trying to trace them! :)

Cheers[/quote]
Pyramid Golds?

I've snapped two E strings with Pyramid Golds :) I now wind them V_E_R_Y S_L_O_W_L_Y

Happy Jack, commenting on my 72 P bass at a recent mini-beer/bassBash, said he could not take lilac silks seriously but I am comfortable in my metrosexuality :rolleyes:

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='956468' date='Sep 14 2010, 07:57 PM']Happy Jack, commenting on my 72 P bass at a recent mini-beer/bassBash, said he could not take lilac silks seriously but I am comfortable in my metrosexuality :)[/quote]
Against the black headstock on my Lakland Decade, the lilac looks very manly. :rolleyes:

I must say, when I emailed them Pyramid got back very quickly and are sending a replacement etc and they seem very honest about the breaking issue. What worries me is that I was putting them on a Jazz bass, so there was nothing at all unusual about the headstock design or tuner spacing. If it were a more unusual design I don't see how you would know if they be a "safe" fit.

I've had a set for at least two years on one bass, no problems..and I moved a set through at least three basses over a year or two with no problems. It seems the E string breaks if the full wrap goes round the tuner, and will probably break straight away?

Don't fancy carrying spares, @ £28 a set!

Quick update - new E string arrived from Pyramid in 3 days..now fitted and still intact, half an hour after getting up to pitch. Fingers crossed!

Full marks to their customer support. Quick and helpful responses to email, from a real person (who I think is the company owner?).

[quote name='BassBod' post='959420' date='Sep 17 2010, 01:39 PM']Quick update - new E string arrived from Pyramid in 3 days..now fitted and still intact, half an hour after getting up to pitch. Fingers crossed!

Full marks to their customer support. Quick and helpful responses to email, from a real person (who I think is the company owner?).[/quote]
... and is the string still going strong?

[quote name='redstriper' post='961713' date='Sep 19 2010, 11:29 PM']GHS precision flatwound strings have purple wraps.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, I do recall that in this instance it was a PG set of strings that I installed. However, it's always good for reference if anyone is searching Basschat in the future. :)

Happy to report the E string is still going strong a few days later, and sounds wonderful. Well, actually it sounds dull and plunky, just like it should.

Still impressed with Pyramid's support on this one - just hope I can get a good 5 -10 years use before it goes snap!