Why become a member? ×

Jazz pickups

Mikeg

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='953162' date='Sep 11 2010, 09:19 PM']Personally I like vintage / classic tones[/quote]

What does that mean?

I'm not even being facetious, I never know what people mean when they say that. Do you mean a sound like a particular record or year or genre or what? What are the sonic characteristics of "vintageness"?

Now I am going to be a bit glib because I can't resist: Is it warmth or growl or something? If so, return to my first question and substitute vintage for warmth/growl and answer the question again please. :)

Personally from extensive experience my number one Jazz bass pickups would now hands down be Suhr Vintage wound pickups.. They are extremely well made and sound absolutely amazing! Also they are the quietest j pups I have ever used! If anyone is interested in them then I can supply them at great prices. Theres also a more modern sounding set available too which work great with active pre-amps.

Wes

Hi,
If you use the search option up the top of the page you'll find all you could ever read on the subject, but really you need to try loads of basses yourself to see what's right for you.
For a bit of a start on the difference between vintage and modern/active tones have a listen to these (excuse the playing). These are samples with no effects or tone shaping at all:

[attachment=58594:Fender_75.wav]
[attachment=58593:EMG_JVX.wav]
[attachment=58592:Jaco.wav]

The first is my Fender '75 Reissue before changing the stock pickups, the second is with them changed. And the third is my Jaco Artist Series fretless (which are 62 reissue pickups I think?)
If you decide you'd like something between the two try the EMG JVs (not Xs) as they do sound more 'vintage' and TBH I would probably have gone for them if I'd known.
Hope this helps with your search for tone.
A.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='953168' date='Sep 11 2010, 09:25 PM']What does that mean?

I'm not even being facetious, I never know what people mean when they say that. Do you mean a sound like a particular record or year or genre or what? What are the sonic characteristics of "vintageness"?[/quote]
Probably a whole other thread in this :) I'm sure like everyone else here I've spent a while searching for a tone I like. My personal tastes seem to centre around the 1970s but I like a lot of music from the 60s & 50s too (I'm not anti-modern, these are just predominantly where my tastes lie). Modern active sounding basses don't get me that sound although I quite like some of those tones in iscolation. I'm not a poet so I'm probably not the best with words but when I think of the pickups I like they have names like "trad" or "reissue" in the title. I've found that coupled with flatwound strings gets a tone similar to the music I like on the records I play. Sometimes it's an almost double bass like sound. Think Motown, think rockabilly, a lot of old country music.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='953213' date='Sep 11 2010, 10:20 PM']I'm probably not the best with words but when I think of the pickups I like they have names like "trad" or "reissue" in the title. I've found that coupled with flatwound strings gets a tone similar to the music I like on the records I play. Sometimes it's an almost double bass like sound. Think Motown, think rockabilly, a lot of old country music.[/quote]

That makes sense, but I would imagine the major contributor to that sound is the strings and maybe amp rather than the pickups? Although I'm sure if you had active pups it might sound too modern and compressed, but I expect any old crappy passive pickups would do. Indeed I am currently gigging a Squier with La Bella flats on it, stock pickups which I would've replaced if I wasn't so skint/lazy because they sound pretty bad, but in context they actually sound great. Wedge some foam under the bridge and it sounds like a '60s soul or reggae record.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='953230' date='Sep 11 2010, 10:54 PM']That makes sense, but I would imagine the major contributor to that sound is the strings and maybe amp rather than the pickups? Although I'm sure if you had active pups it might sound too modern and compressed, but I expect any old crappy passive pickups would do. Indeed I am currently gigging a Squier with La Bella flats on it, stock pickups which I would've replaced if I wasn't so skint/lazy because they sound pretty bad, but in context they actually sound great. Wedge some foam under the bridge and it sounds like a '60s soul or reggae record.[/quote]
I tend to agree with this & of course how you play too - when I moved from right hand with plectrum rested on the bridge to fingers between the pickup & neck this was the first time my tone majorly changed. The other major change was roundwound to flatwound. I think pickups can be the icing on the cake & often they can be great as stock. Oh & I've been trying the foam too lately :)

I have barts and an EBS preamp in mine and they sound really good [b]but[/b] without the preamp they sounded crap (They came before the body alterations were done so I popped them in first) and as much as I love 'em I would not say they were punchy, More big and smooth sounding which is also very good but you said you wanted punchy so I would say for you not Barts.