Why become a member? ×

RARE GR 5 string bass - Handmade in the USA

franz jr.

This is a rare find these days. Made by GR Basses out of San Diego CA. Just picked this up but I am not a 5 string kinda guy.

Alder body
Maple Neck with a Flamed Maple fingerboard
Black blocks
Dual Bassline pickups
Fender case
34" scale
18mm string spacing

This baby is 9 - 9.5 in condition. I love the look and feel but I can't quite get used to the 5 strings. [color="#FF0000"][size=4][u][b]$1150 shipped to anywhere in the world!!!!! [/b][/u][/size] [/color]Open to trades as well

]

Edited by franz jr.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was loving this thread until I got to the bit about the bass being located in the U.S.
Shame, I love the look of this thing & I get the feeling it's a fine instrument... but there's no way the good people at HM Revenue and Customs would allow the importation of such a thing with taking a hefty bung on top :-/
That would put it beyond my reach, I fear.

If you think there's a way around this let me know!

In the meantime, have another BUMP!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Stuee' post='1093460' date='Jan 18 2011, 08:39 AM']I was loving this thread until I got to the bit about the bass being located in the U.S.
Shame, I love the look of this thing & I get the feeling it's a fine instrument... but there's no way the good people at HM Revenue and Customs would allow the importation of such a thing with taking a hefty bung on top :-/
That would put it beyond my reach, I fear.

If you think there's a way around this let me know!

In the meantime, have another BUMP![/quote]

Check with HM customs, but I think 2nd Hand, duty could be Zero rated, check harmonised Codes on HMCustoms and Excise.

Oh am I missing something, no photographs!!

[quote name='Oldman' post='1136657' date='Feb 22 2011, 04:14 AM']Check with HM customs, but I think 2nd Hand, duty could be Zero rated, check harmonised Codes on HMCustoms and Excise.

Oh am I missing something, no photographs!![/quote]

Just on this note, I thought I'd do some digging to see what sort of cost HM Customs would slap on it. Based on the following assumptions:

Commodity code: 9207 90 10 00 (Electric Bass Guitar)
Product Value = $1300
Shipping = $150 (this is a total guess, I have no idea how much shipping would be).
Insurance = $0 (obviously, you'd want insurance, but for the sake of ease and not knowing what the cost is, I thought I'd omit this factor).

The HM Customs cost breakdown is as follows:
Import Duty: £34.84
Import VAT: £195.32

Totalling a whopping £230.16 just to claim it off UK Customs; obviously this would be more if the shipping was more than $150 and you added insurance to the cost.

Such a shame as that is one beautiful bass and I'd love to get my hands on it; but the cost of shipping and Customs on top of the sale price places it well beyond my reach :)

All the best with the sale dude! It's a real beauty.