Why become a member? ×

Amp repair - how long does it take?!!

3V17C

Six weeks ago I bought a secondhand bass head from a shop who always gets good feedback on here. Upon delivery the amp (which although secondhand looked immaculate - original box, footswitch still in original packaging etc) didn't work. The shop arranged for it to be returned no problem and promised to get their repair guy to look at it. However, the shop was then closed for holidays for a week, then (apparently!) the repair guy was on his holidays for two weeks. I got an email last week saying they'd found the problem [i]'It was a power supply that had gone, it is being sorted now, I will let you how quickly we can get this back to you'[/i] but no word since and I am still waiting to get the head back.

My current rig is useable but the preamp sporadically makes a buzzing noise which can be noticeable on some of the quieter songs which is why I splashed out on this 'new' amp in the first place (admittedly i've wanted a change for a while). I've got some quite important gigs coming up in the next few weeks including a small tour and it looks like I'm gonna have to use a borrowed head for the time being which I don't really like doing.

I think I've been pretty patient with them on this.. six weeks does seem like a long time.. or is it just me?!

Not sure of the point in this post!! Just a minor rant I guess!!! Aaaargh!! and I've got a headache! :)

peace

c

Yes as they sold it to you, and it was faulty you should get a quick turnaround. IMO 6 weeks is not acceptable.

I would suggest that you ring/go and see them and politely say that you need the amp repaired by a specific date or you want a full refund, that should concentrate thier minds

Very unacceptable!!!! - Stag knows a GREAT repair guy who has looked after him who lives in 'our area' - and the turn around was days, not weeks. AND I would expect the shop where you purchased be falling over themselves to be helping you. Name and Shame my good man - then you can let them we have over 11,000 bass players could see how shoddy they are!

I won't name and shame yet although I got an annoyingly vague response to my email of yesterday:

[i]'It is sorted, outputs transistor blew. It should be back here soon and out to you'[/i]

I don't want to be hearing vague 'should' and 'soon' - I want a definite date, and if it [i]is[/i] actually sorted what is the delay getting it back to me?! Why is it just sitting there? and why did he not get in touch with me to tell me its all sorted?

i'm awaiting a further reply on the above, but am starting to get a bit annoyed now. So sod it, its BassDirect.

cheers

c

[quote name='3V17C' post='951527' date='Sep 10 2010, 09:45 AM']I won't name and shame yet although I got an annoyingly vague response to my email of yesterday:

[i]'It is sorted, outputs transistor blew. It should be back here soon and out to you'[/i]

I don't want to be hearing vague 'should' and 'soon' - I want a definite date, and if it [i]is[/i] actually sorted what is the delay getting it back to me?! Why is it just sitting there? and why did he not get in touch with me to tell me its all sorted?

i'm awaiting a further reply on the above, but am starting to get a bit annoyed now. So sod it, its BassDirect.

cheers

c[/quote]

Im sure we could help you too :)

Edited by thegallery

[quote name='Toasted' post='951957' date='Sep 10 2010, 04:11 PM']I think it slightly depends on if you bought a new or a second hand amp.[/quote]

According to the OP it was a second hand amp that didnt work out of the box. Regardless it was second hand, it should be fit for purpose, and the repair prompt.