Why become a member? ×

Letting Go

JFielden

Hey Bass Chatters!

Now, for the best part of two years I have thoroughly enjoyed my Epiphone Thunderbird IV! But recently I've been thinking... Is it time to let it go??

It's seen me through the most fundamental stages of bass playing, it has been my number one from the day I got it! My old knock off 5 string got sold because I never played it.. And my Vintage Metal Axxe got given away I didn't care for it that much!...

However...

3-4 Months ago I bought a Vintage Jazz Bass... And ever since the Thunderbird has been rarely used D=

You probably all think I have an awful choice in bass guitars! But they're my bass guitars.

I use the Jazz Bass all the time now, it has such a versatile tone and a lovely thin neck.
The Thunderbird in comparison is harder to get the tone right with, and has a chunky as hell neck, which isn't something I mind that much but when played back to back the Jazz neck is so much easier to use!

I've had some interest from local friends for the purchase of my TB, however I'm not quite sure yet... Another thing to consider is that I am really wanting a new amp and a bunch of pedals, or I can get another 5 string bass because I miss the low B!

This could be a waste of time but any thoughts, opinions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Go with whatever feels most comfortable to you. Your amplification can make a big difference as well.

I've been playing for 23 years, gone through 70 odd basses and currently I am playing an Epiphone Thunderbird through choice as I like the sound, the feel and they're cool.

Of all the basses I've regretted selling, there are only a couple but when you look back and really think about it, were they really that great or is it just nostalgia?

Just go for it.

I regret selling my first proper Fender Jazz from way back when. It would go for silly money now but it was a pile of crap compared to what I have now.
That Thunderbird is sentimental value only, I'd wager, so not a bass to lose sleep over losing.

If you can put the money to better value, then go for it. Some basses are a keeper but I can't for the life of me make a case for the T-bird.
But, hey, it is you who has to decide. If it was player, then it's a maybe, but even then...nah!!! IMV.

I`ve only ever regretted selling one bass, my Fender 51 Reissue P-Bass. I swapped another bass to get it back, but have now sold it again - the reason - well I just don`t play it, as I prefer the sound of the Standard P-Bass, so figured someone else could benefit from it, as its a great bass, just makes the wrong sound for me.

So to the OP, if yr Jazz bass has the sound/versatilty/playability you want, my advice would be to not relegate the T-Bird to ornament status, but sell it, and let someone else play it regularly and cherish it as you no doubt cherish your Jazz bass.

Unless there's a pressing reason to sell, then I wouldn't.

I'm trading mine now only because I've managed to further injure my hand, and it's not something I can play at the moment - I have no doubt, some time in the future, one will be back with. They're a great rock bass, and one I can really recommend.

Unless you need the cash/space/sanity/pain-free-hand, then I wouldn't shift it. It's another string to your bow, another option; you never when the gig or occasion may call for it again.

I'm plugging for a keeper.

Ok, so you like a Thunderbird and you want a five string.....buy a five string Thunderbird!

I'd keep the four string as like has been stated previously, the money you will get for it just wont be worth it.

The Epi pro five string T-Birds are sweet, ive had one for a while now.