Why become a member? ×

Help: DB mic pre-amps?

Beedster

I'm likely to be getting a DPA4099b in the near future. I'm sure that like all equipment, there's strengths and there's limitations, but I think for a live and recording mic solution is fits my needs. What do you guys recommend in terms of a good pre-amp to use with it on stage, I'd like the option of running into both a backline and PA

Cheers

Chris

Headway hands down. It will cut feedback to an acceptable limit. But you may still be disappointed if you use it through backline. If you could link to PA (no preamp needed if phantom power available) with pickup to backline for monitoring you will have a great setup.

Thanks guys, seems the PUP to backline and mic to desk method might be the best option. I guess it means I can set a pretty heavy mid EQ from the PUP signal on stage to hear myself, whilst allowing the soundguy to get a sweeter tone from the mic up front?

Silly question but worth asking; can you ever get any issues using mic and PUP simultaneously? If so, I'd rather know now :)

C

I've only had the luxury of using mic and pickup for recording, not live. There are two things - feedback front front of house, but only the engineer can deal with this so best not worry, just let them get on with it. The other thing is phase - you could have a combination that is out of phase and may cause some odd frequency canceling effects. This can be hard to work out, and some acoustic preamps give you a phase reversal option as a potential feedback buster, so its not always a bad thing.

[quote name='BassBod' post='950195' date='Sep 9 2010, 07:59 AM']I've only had the luxury of using mic and pickup for recording, not live. There are two things - feedback front front of house, but only the engineer can deal with this so best not worry, just let them get on with it. The other thing is phase - you could have a combination that is out of phase and may cause some odd frequency canceling effects. This can be hard to work out, and some acoustic preamps give you a phase reversal option as a potential feedback buster, so its not always a bad thing.[/quote]

Thanks Duncan, I suspected it wouldn't be as simple as I'd hoped. Re preamps, do most DB PUPs - along with DB mics - require preamps.

Whilst I'm looking at the DPA in the long term, I've a gig next Saturday, and although it's going to be quiet (acoustic guitar, slide guitar, congas and DB) I'd to give the soundguy some signal in case he needs it front of house. I've got an a SM57, if attached to the bass (probably aimed below the bridge), is it going to do the job OK or do I need to rush to get something better sorted ahead of the gig (the venue has crap mics)

Cheers

C

Hi Chris,

there's a usable mic for sale [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=101639"]here[/url]

or a new one from [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/kk_golden_bullet.htm"]Thomann[/url

I have [url="http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1436-KANDK_SOUND_GOLDEN_TRINITY_MICROPHONE_WITH_BASS_MAX_PICKUP.html"]this[/url] on one bass, the mic is ok but to be honest the pickup alone sounds amazing so if I need some pa support I usually just d.i. from the back of my amp (markbass). I don't need an external pre amp with the bassmax into the markbass, just have to roll some bass off!

I recently turned up at a gig without my pick up, I'd been experimenting with it on another bass and forgot to re attach it, I got through the gig with a sm58 on a boom stand aimed at the treble side f hole.
It was a bit restricting as I had to keep the bass in one position all night but I got away with it.

good luck!
Keith

Edited by Mr Bassman

To be honest, I'd buy a Realist/David Gage pickup anyway. Its pretty simple to fit (sits under the bass side bridge foot) and gives a bassy sound with no eq. Any active DI will work as a preamp/impedance matcher. Try the SM57 first/as well, but my guess is the Realist is a no-fussing option, and just gives you a bit of reinforcement without any hassle.

Most DB piezo pickups work best into a higher input impedance (1 meg ohm upwards) which is higher than most amps allow for. Some do, (EA Acoustic Image) but most (GK MB combos for one) don't. You can use an expensive preamp to correct this, but I just use an active DI (with mute switch) or my sansamp pedal with everything switched off. The Realist pickup is one of the better ones, as it doesn't make so much difference to the sound if you don't have a suitable high impedance input. It actually sounds ok straight into a GK combo, which technically it shouldn't! Sounds fuller with a preamp/buffer in between though.

I've done a few "acoustic" small gigs, with just a pickup into the pa. Its amazing how loud these environments often are, so I nearly always use my Clifton EUB anyway. They still look at me when there is feedback :)

best of luck

[quote name='Mr Bassman' post='950286' date='Sep 9 2010, 09:37 AM']or a new one from [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/kk_golden_bullet.htm"]Thomann[/url

I have [url="http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1436-KANDK_SOUND_GOLDEN_TRINITY_MICROPHONE_WITH_BASS_MAX_PICKUP.html"]this[/url] on one bass, the mic is ok but to be honest the pickup alone sounds amazing so if I need some pa support I usually just d.i. from the back of my amp (markbass). I don't need an external pre amp with the bassmax into the markbass, just have to roll some bass off![/quote]

wonder what's happened with the links?

Thanks very much guys, just rushing off but I'll follow up on those suggestions (I've PM'd about that mic Keith, thanks). Know hoe you feel Duncan, I did an electric gig with a singer who kept pointing his mic straight at my cab and complaining that "the bass is feeding back". It was our first and last gig!

Chris

I've just bough this from John (Oldslapper) [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=101639"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=101639[/url] which I hope will at least fill the gap presented by upcoming gigs and my reluctance to work with a standard mic only for those (I can run this to backline and from there to the PA).

Thanks for the help guys

Chris

I see you got sorted so good for you...

I have tried a couple of picksups, K&K Bass Master, Realist, and a cheapo Shadow. Surprisingly, I like the latter the best. Stuck it in the bridge jamming it in with a cigarette butt. No joke, sounds great! - The K&K is geat because it has a pickup for the fingerboard too, and has this great versatile pickup that you wear on your belt which is great if you like your slapping, and you don't have to bend over to change your sound.

Recently, I bought a reduced burglar alarm kit from Maplins for a fiver and used the sensor to pick up a guitar - sounds fine, seriously! Now to be honest, I don't believe the pickups vary as much in quality, as they do in price... Much is in the preamp etc.

So in the end, it is all about what sounds best for you, every bass, every set of strings, every preamp, every amp and every player is different - more so than the pickups IMO... you must experiment.