Why become a member? ×

Fullerton RI P bass

davebass66

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bass-Fullerton-1984-62-Reissue-USA-/300461521150?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item45f4e6f8fe"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bas...=item45f4e6f8fe[/url]

There is a really nice looking re issue 62 P up for sale on E bay, I know that the fullerton re issues are supposed to be good but i thought it was just 82 and 83 really....Whats your opinion on these fullerton re issues? I've been after a vintage P for ages but haven found the right one, would it be a mistake to buy a RI?

This has probably been posted a million times so feel free to point me to an old thread! :)

Dave

In regards to these, and indeed the famous Smith strats of the same era, you need to factor in just how poor things had gotten in the late 70's and early 80's. When better quality instruments finally arrived you need to consider that at least some of the good reputation will be in relation to what had gone previously.

Guitar Dater Project says, serial # V015986 :-
"Guitar Info
This guitar is from the U.S. Vintage Series
made at the Corona Plant (Fender), USA
in the Year(s): Cannot be determined from serial number,
however you can consult this chart showing the
corelation between serial numbers and dates found on the neck
Fender MIA RI Serial Number vs. Neck Date"

Also: Fender: Corona
Corona factory was opened in 1985, Corona California, with major guitar production starting in 1987. With the addition of a custom shop in 1987 the plant currently employs about 700 workers. Apart from general and Custom Shop Fender instruments and amplifiers, it also encompasses Guild acoustic & electric guitars.

How does the seller reckon it's a Fullerton? Let alone a '84

So you pays your money & takes your chances, unless you get to That London & have a good look :)

Edited by KiOgon

It's a great ad, in fairness

[quote]These first few years (1982-1984) of reissues are some of the finest to ever leave Fender's Factory, the very same factory distinguished for its Golden-age- pre-CBS instruments. And when the factory was reopened in '82 those skilled workers that had been retrained to follow quality control reminiscent of pre-CBS instruments.They used many of the same materials, tools and machinery that created the legendary instruments. The Fullerton era instruments' superior build quality is revered today as being unsurpassed in Fender reissue history.[/quote]

Of course, the same tools and ,achinery were used during the CBS era too, but let's not delve too deep, eh? :)

[quote]It has a strap, although one if the strap holder needs screwing in, a very small job for someone who knows what they're doing...[/quote]

For £1100? :wacko:

My Fullerton RI was one of the lightest, brightest and well built basses I've ever played. It also sustained for ever, even with the BBOT bridge.

I sold it cos I wanted a proper Fender Precision without any of those issues :)

C

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='davebass66' post='949248' date='Sep 8 2010, 10:03 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bass-Fullerton-1984-62-Reissue-USA-/300461521150?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item45f4e6f8fe"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bas...=item45f4e6f8fe[/url][/quote]

As many of those 82-83 reissues body wood's are horribly matched together
As almost every american reissue it should sound very good, and better and better as years pass by