Why become a member? ×

olivers army elvis costello

gub

This is driving me bonkers as trying to learn it but having no luck ,any tabs i find do not make any sense to me as need words along side or i get lost and no body has posted a bass version on tube yet so if any one can help will be very greatful. :)

[attachment=58345:Olivers_Army_Bass.jpg]

Here it is.

I've played this many times over the years and it's a great bass line. I've used a hybrid of tab & notation so you get the rhythm correct. It's quite easy to learn. Once you've got the pattern you can work out the key change easily enough.

Enjoy.

BTW I have also looked for a tab out of curiosity and there isn't one.

[quote name='mep' post='948917' date='Sep 7 2010, 10:27 PM'][attachment=58345:Olivers_Army_Bass.jpg]

Here it is.

I've played this many times over the years and it's a great bass line. I've used a hybrid of tab & notation so you get the rhythm correct. It's quite easy to learn. Once you've got the pattern you can work out the key change easily enough.

Enjoy.

BTW I have also looked for a tab out of curiosity and there isn't one.[/quote]
Great tab I've really enjoyed playing this in a previous band too.

[quote name='lonestar' post='948947' date='Sep 7 2010, 10:44 PM']Great tab I've really enjoyed playing this in a previous band too.[/quote]

Thanks. I like to get my students playing this one. It moves around the fretboard and between different positions. Also they have to work out the key change.

BTW before anyones comments I just had another look and the first chord for the Mid 8 should be G#m, not Abm. At least the tabs ok!

[quote name='joerattray' post='949033' date='Sep 8 2010, 12:58 AM']Not trying to be a dick but I don't think its a triplet on the 4th beat of a lot of the bars there. It sounds very clearly like four semiquavers.
Big fan of Bruce Thomas' work with the Attractions, particularly the stuff on This Year's Model and Armed Forces.[/quote]

You are no dick. I have had a listen and you are right. Sounds like the G# is doubled up. Feels a bit busy, but I'm probably used to playing the triplets!

[quote name='mep' post='949960' date='Sep 8 2010, 08:48 PM']You are no dick. I have had a listen and you are right. Sounds like the G# is doubled up. Feels a bit busy, but I'm probably used to playing the triplets![/quote]

Yeah, I've got loads of tunes like that. If I've maybe learnt it by memory then hear it after months of playing it the same way and think "So THATS what it goes like!"

[quote name='joerattray' post='950069' date='Sep 8 2010, 11:10 PM']Yeah, I've got loads of tunes like that. If I've maybe learnt it by memory then hear it after months of playing it the same way and think "So THATS what it goes like!"[/quote]

Glad it's not just me then.