Why become a member? ×

What cabs do you pair your GK heads with?

dirtystatic

Currently playing through a GK 1001RB-II into a GK NEO212. Individually - the cab is the perfect weight and has a massive amount of volume and I love how the head sounds. Even with a flat EQ the tone is spot on. My problems arise when I'm playing live, there just isn't enough 'umpf'. When I play by myself is sounds fantastic, but in the mix is goes missing. I especially struggle trying to make the D ang G strings sounds fat. It's not a volume issue and when I EQ in some more bass and low-mids it makes the B, E and A strings boom horribly... but has hardly any effect on my higher strings.

I play an Ibanez ATK300 and SR505 and I have the same problem with both basses into this rig. I've tried various brands/gauges of strings, I've adjusted pick-up height and string-height and nothing seems to make a difference. I've played without issue through other amps so I guess it's my rig.

I used to play the GK head into a self-made 1x15 cab and it sounded a hell of a lot better, maybe it's these light weight NEO cabs. I may just have to sacrafice the light weight NEO cab for something beefier. I've been concidering the GK RBX range and also the Ampeg 410HLF. Should I be concerned about loosing the functionality of the bi-amp system if I go for a non-GK cab?

Anyone have a sollution to this problem? Or can anyone recommend some other cabs they've had linked up to their GK?

Cheers!

Ps. I've noticed a few artists raving about the GK RB range of heads, but none of them seem to twin their heads with the GK cabs, it's mostly Ampeg or Mesa.

[quote name='crez5150' post='935631' date='Aug 25 2010, 08:50 AM']GK500MB2 into either Purple Chilli 4 x 10 or Aguillar DB112 x 2 here[/quote]
I've got my GK MB500 pushing air out of an EBS 4x10 (or occasionally an EBS 1x15) - both are 4-Ohm cabs so can only use one at a time

HTH, Ian

I use a GK 1001 with 2 GK Neo112s - never had any problems.

I'm playing blues/rock - I might have problems with dub reggae... :)

Is the issue with the sound you hear on stage, the sound the audience hear out front, or both?
Where do you typically place your cab (relative to walls/corners particularly)?

[quote name='Stewart' post='935926' date='Aug 25 2010, 01:34 PM']I use a GK 1001 with 2 GK Neo112s - never had any problems.

I'm playing blues/rock - I might have problems with dub reggae... :)

Is the issue with the sound you hear on stage, the sound the audience hear out front, or both?
Where do you typically place your cab (relative to walls/corners particularly)?[/quote]

When I play live I'm generally backed up by a decent PA and engineered by my mate who is an excellent sound guy so it's not really an issue. But I'm now in a covers band doing smaller pub gigs where we'll be reliant on our back lines, so it's going to be an issue then. And it has the potential to completely ruin my jam session with the band if I can't be heard when I venture up the neck.

I've tried setting up many different ways in the past but now I tend to set up roughly a foot away from the wall of the room putting as much distance between and those filthy 6-stringers! This cab is on casters though... that's a first for me, don't know if that would have a major impact on the sound?

I am tempted to go for an Ampeg 410HLF that's going on these forums at the moment.

If you've got your rig close to a back wall/corner, then finding any 'missing frequencies' onstage (without getting into silly EQ) is usually a matter of moving your carcass around a bit to find them...
:)

Is your tweeter working?

Finally - I'd hire a 410 before buying one...

I've always used 4X10s, this 2X12 was abit of a gamble for me. Tweeter is working fine. This rig is incredibly bright, I tend to roll off the tweeter control on the amp. Usually set it between 0 and 9 o'clock. Like I said, when the bass is soloed the tone is superb... just can't feel those bottom two strings when the band starts up. I'd of said it was the bass if it weren't for the fact both of them do it.

Woe is me!

i use a 700rbII through an aguilar DB115. i used to use a rbx 410 which was quite good. i turned to a 15 to try and get more of a vintage tone. Which is awesome but when jamming it can be hard to hear everything that i play. ive started to take the rear casters of the cab now so it angles up and its easier to hear.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the GK 1001RB going through my ex-Mark King Ashdown Bentley 4x10" cab.
It's very loud and has loads of headroom, but i could do with a little more bottom end.
I did have and Aguilar DB115 and 210 cabs which sounded great, but i had to flog them earlier this year to help pay for my wedding!!!

I'm looking at getting barefaced gear for my cabs, but i'm not sure what i want yet.

I've just realised i've got no pics of my cab, but will post if anyone desires.

[quote name='Master blaster' post='936337' date='Aug 25 2010, 08:04 PM']i use a 700rbII through an aguilar DB115. i used to use a rbx 410 which was quite good. i turned to a 15 to try and get more of a vintage tone. Which is awesome but when jamming it can be hard to hear everything that i play.[b] ive started to take the rear casters of the cab now so it angles up and its easier to hear.[/b][/quote]
That's such a simple yet effective idea, i'd not thought of that!

Hmmmm no love for GK here. The EQ section..although detailed and comphrehensive, reminds me of old PV heads.
Would involve way too much knob twiddling and the core sounds aren't there, for me. Just not clean enough.
Not a fan of the cabs either but I used a 15" with a norn, which is something I normally avoid like the plague as a one cab option. Too slow moving..or sounding for me and not punchy enough.
The 12 or 10's may be better, for my ear

I would conclude that these amps needs an awful lot of playing around to sound really good and no one who used this stage rigs sounded great, IMO.
Happy to be prooved wrong but this rig had 5 basses through it and all were found wanting to a various degrees. I'd suggest that time wasn't on the amps side...but the quality of the basses deffo was.

I use a 700RB into a GK 1x15 and 2x10, both of the SBX series. I had problems being heard with just the 2x10, but not so much now I have the 15" speaker too. I found that I could only hear myself with just the 2x10" if I stood directly in front of it. There is far more of a spread with the 15" speaker now, but there are still elements of dead spots in the room.