Why become a member? ×

Tatia Starkey

Annoying Twit

OK. I usually prefer to ask questions without further background so as to not influence any responses I get. But this question seems a little obscure.

Tatia Starkey is Ringo Starr's granddaughter, and the bassist of the band "Belakiss".

I was curious to see what people thought. Personally when I've listened to their songs, there's nothing special in the bass parts or playing, but it just seems to fit the songs. The following song is sort of Coldplay-ish, and having a virtuoso playing incredibly complicated parts wouldn't be suitable, IMHO.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHPItCXtCUA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHPItCXtCUA[/url]

Starkey, with her extensive erotic dancing background [url="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1qCv1fwoHmM/SKM57D98TjI/AAAAAAAAJnQ/mKxww7X4ePk/s400/Belakiss1+copy.jpg"](please only click this if you are over 18)[/url], appears to also add a visual component to the band, and moves in an interesting way when playing. Overall, I'd say that she adds a fair amount to the band, but it's not really in terms of very fancy playing. Hence I was curious to see what very bass orientated people would think. Is there a role for the "functional" bass player, or do many of the people here who could probably play rings around her think that a more expert player should be in the band? Or, perhaps I've, as I've done before, missed something in her playing which is really good?

Sorry about the mis-fire in starting this thread the way I did. Hopefully it will improve from here, or I'll have to stop posting and grit my teeth (again!) while it falls down the order into obscurity.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='934964' date='Aug 24 2010, 04:26 PM']OK. I usually prefer to ask questions without further background so as to not influence any responses I get. But this question seems a little obscure.

Tatia Starkey is Ringo Starr's granddaughter, and the bassist of the band "Belakiss".

I was curious to see what people thought. Personally when I've listened to their songs, there's nothing special in the bass parts or playing, but it just seems to fit the songs. The following song is sort of Coldplay-ish, and having a virtuoso playing incredibly complicated parts wouldn't be suitable, IMHO.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHPItCXtCUA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHPItCXtCUA[/url]

Starkey, with her extensive erotic dancing background [url="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1qCv1fwoHmM/SKM57D98TjI/AAAAAAAAJnQ/mKxww7X4ePk/s400/Belakiss1+copy.jpg"](please only click this if you are over 18)[/url], appears to also add a visual component to the band, and moves in an interesting way when playing. Overall, I'd say that she adds a fair amount to the band, but it's not really in terms of very fancy playing. Hence I was curious to see what very bass orientated people would think. Is there a role for the "functional" bass player, or do many of the people here who could probably play rings around her think that a more expert player should be in the band? Or, perhaps I've, as I've done before, missed something in her playing which is really good?

Sorry about the mis-fire in starting this thread the way I did. Hopefully it will improve from here, or I'll have to stop posting and grit my teeth (again!) while it falls down the order into obscurity.[/quote]

Disregarding her bass playing, which I think doesn't add much to the tune itself whatsoever apart from what is required, the tune is catchy but sounds pretty dated as a sound and basically nothing special, or at least nothing that hasn't been done a million times before. That to me is more important than the bass part IMO... no one listens for the bass part apart from bass players anyway! Haha :)

She's also the bass player in her father Zak Starkey's band [url="http://www.myspace.com/heypenguins"]Penguins[/url].

That's very different music, and IMHO could do with a few more chops. Particularly the track "trouble", which I think would be better with a Bill MacCormick type on it. Some songs like "Jet Engine" maybe suit the "simple but effective" style, but more variety would, IMHO, help. She's still young, and there's opportunity to improve of course.

I'm a Beatles fan, and as people can probably guess, probably wouldn't have found out about the bands without the connection. So there's a novelty in seeing a Beatles grandchild making music. Hopefully she'll develop into a very good musician like her father.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='935728' date='Aug 25 2010, 10:42 AM']She's also the bass player in her father Zak Starkey's band [url="http://www.myspace.com/heypenguins"]Penguins[/url].

That's very different music, and IMHO could do with a few more chops. Particularly the track "trouble", which I think would be better with a Bill MacCormick type on it. Some songs like "Jet Engine" maybe suit the "simple but effective" style, but more variety would, IMHO, help. She's still young, and there's opportunity to improve of course.

I'm a Beatles fan, and as people can probably guess, probably wouldn't have found out about the bands without the connection. So there's a novelty in seeing a Beatles grandchild making music. Hopefully she'll develop into a very good musician like her father.[/quote]

I'm a big Beatles fan as well although I must admit when it comes to the relatives and offspring of famous musicians I've rarely seen the same level of ability, apart from maybe Zak Starky. But fingers crossed, they might emerge soon, as far as I'm concerned they're making better music than what they're playing on Radio One right now!

[quote name='risingson' post='935798' date='Aug 25 2010, 11:37 AM']I'm a big Beatles fan as well although I must admit when it comes to the relatives and offspring of famous musicians I've rarely seen the same level of ability, apart from maybe Zak Starky. But fingers crossed, they might emerge soon, as far as I'm concerned they're making better music than what they're playing on Radio One right now![/quote]

You take advantage of your associations...for sure.... Jakob Dylan didn't call himself Jakob Zimmermann,,,,,Charlie Sheen follwed his father's stage name, but Emilio Estevez kept his latino name. Some people have their parents talents but this is far from the rule..... the logic that familial relations leads to similar level of talent is pure bullcr*p. J S Bach fathered 20 kids.....we are clearly not celebrating their music. Melanie Slade is famous because of her association with a famous footballer, she was suddenly in the limelight on the back of someone else's achievements - it is not dis-similar to the WAG phenomenon.

[quote name='risingson' post='935798' date='Aug 25 2010, 11:37 AM']I'm a big Beatles fan as well although I must admit when it comes to the relatives and offspring of famous musicians I've rarely seen the same level of ability, apart from maybe Zak Starky. But fingers crossed, they might emerge soon, as far as I'm concerned they're making better music than what they're playing on Radio One right now![/quote]

I think some of Dhani Harrison's music is the most interesting music being made by Beatles descendants, but not on topic for a bass forum. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWhj_WEuVZI"]So, I won't inline this song.[/url]

Tatia Starkey is currently a better dancer than Bassist, IMHO, but she has been dancing for a long time. I'm not quite sure about the advisability of a young woman joining an erotic dance troupe @ 16, but she did stick at it for five years.

She's "featured dancer" in this clip:

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='935810' date='Aug 25 2010, 11:44 AM']You take advantage of your associations...for sure.... Jakob Dylan didn't call himself Jakob Zimmermann,,,,,Charlie Sheen follwed his father's stage name, but Emilio Estevez kept his latino name. Some people have their parents talents but this is far from the rule..... the logic that familial relations leads to similar level of talent is pure bullcr*p. J S Bach fathered 20 kids.....we are clearly not celebrating their music. Melanie Slade is famous because of her association with a famous footballer, she was suddenly in the limelight on the back of someone else's achievements - it is not dis-similar to the WAG phenomenon.[/quote]

Precisely, although poor J.S Bach's kids did have to compete with their father being the most important composer of all time!

[quote]I think some of Dhani Harrison's music is the most interesting music being made by Beatles descendants, but not on topic for a bass forum. So, I won't inline this song.[/quote]

Haven't heard this but will check it out. Heard some of Sean Lennon's music though and it's not bad.

Interesting this - when I read the first post, my knee-jerk reaction was to think - you wouldn't have heard of her - or her band - if her Grandad hadn't been in The Beatles, and to muse briefly about the shallowness of the prerequisites for garnering attention (if not success) in the music business.

Subsequently reading through, I'm now wondering if my initial response would have quite as jaundiced and prejudicial if she'd been introduced as "Zak Starkey's daughter". I think Zak has a level of credibility as a musician that his father, correctly or otherwise, has never been accorded - probably largely due to that snotty remark of Lennon's.

That said I suspect the majority of the general public are only aware of Zak (if they're aware of him at all) for being Ringo's kid.

I dunno. I should probably actually listen to her music...

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='935844' date='Aug 25 2010, 12:24 PM']I dunno. I should probably actually listen to her music...[/quote]
Did this.

Belakiss play generic student union bar landfill indie, actually sounding a little bit out-of-step with the 80s & electro influence many of the genre's current bands display. Her root note basslines are quite appropriate and more complexity wouldn't add anything worthwhile to the song.

Penguins are slightly more interesting & a bit more eclectic but not really a suitable showcase for technique either - you'd only notice the bass if it wasn't there. The singer really defines the songs, but her style & delivery is somewhat cliched. She sounds a lot like Grog Prebble from Die So Fluid / Feline/ Flinch, only a bit more one-dimensional.

In short then - her bands are rubbish, stick to the sexy dancin'. :)

[quote name='Bassassin' post='935844' date='Aug 25 2010, 12:24 PM']Subsequently reading through, I'm now wondering if my initial response would have quite as jaundiced and prejudicial if she'd been introduced as "Zak Starkey's daughter". I think Zak has a level of credibility as a musician that his father, correctly or otherwise, has never been accorded - probably largely due to that snotty remark of Lennon's.[/quote]

Lennon slagged everyone off, regardless of whether he actually liked them professionally or not. Even though at one time or another he might have said that 'Ringo isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles', he also sung his praises from time to time. Undoubtedly contrary to popular speculation, Ringo Starr was a massively influential and very important drummer. I like Zak Starkey too although I can't say he's done anything that I've loved, whereas Ringo played on 'Day In the Life', 'She Said She Said', 'The End', 'Tomorrow Never Knows' and countless other tracks that without the drum parts, so many other tunes wouldn't even exist.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='935844' date='Aug 25 2010, 12:24 PM']Interesting this - when I read the first post, my knee-jerk reaction was to think - you wouldn't have heard of her - or her band - if her Grandad hadn't been in The Beatles, and to muse briefly about the shallowness of the prerequisites for garnering attention (if not success) in the music business.[/quote]

The bands are both unsigned, as far as I can see. So, it's more the shallowness of my googling and my posts to basschat that's at fault :rolleyes:

And while novelty will garner some attention, I think that as with record companies, for individuals there needs to be more to get people to go to the next stage of putting their money down. Like me buying The Pete Best Band's album of original music. The name and association got me to listen to it, but I only bought it 'coz it's a good album. Obligatory-basschat, the bassist from The Pete Best Band has clearly studied Beatles era Paul McCartney bassplaying :)

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Bassassin' post='935865' date='Aug 25 2010, 12:46 PM']She sounds a lot like [b]Grog Prebble[/b] from Die So Fluid / Feline/ Flinch, only a bit more one-dimensional.[/quote]
:)
Is Georgina (that's her real name) Prebble still at it? She went to school with my sister and once asked me to teach her how to play bass...

[quote name='matski' post='935960' date='Aug 25 2010, 01:54 PM']:rolleyes:
Is Georgina (that's her real name) Prebble still at it? She went to school with my sister and once asked me to teach her how to play bass...[/quote]
She is - and [url="http://www.myspace.com/diesofluid"]DSF[/url] are not 'alf bad if you like that sort of thing. :)

J.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='935815' date='Aug 25 2010, 11:49 AM']She's "featured dancer" in this clip:

[/quote]

Ah... Fortune Drive - a f#*%in' cracking live band and sorely missed round these here parts. If I'd known they were associates of Ms Starkey I'd have made more of an effort to suck up to them. :)

Man I saw Belakiss not long ago at that union workers bar thing west rocks, thought they were firing! She's a good bass player too especially for someone who's only done it for 3 years!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ael56s6LRFY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ael56s6LRFY[/url]

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ael56s6LRFY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ael56s6LRFY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Nothing ever has to be complicated! It's learning where and when to play the right things !

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='934964' date='Aug 24 2010, 04:26 PM']OK. I usually prefer to ask questions without further background so as to not influence any responses I get. But this question seems a little obscure.

Sorry about the mis-fire in starting this thread the way I did. Hopefully it will improve from here, or I'll have to stop posting and grit my teeth (again!) while it falls down the order into obscurity.[/quote]

Wasps?