Why become a member? ×

Violin Bass

The Admiral

I really fancy one of these, but, not having the readies for a genuine high spec Hofner, I 'm wondering if anyone in the BC community has experience of any of the budget models?

The options I have found are :

[b]Hofner[/b] 'Ignition' violin bass (I'm guessing a Chinese version from Hofner to compete with the other 'copies' in this price band) @ £208 (Thomann) £240 w/c

There also seems to be an 'Icon' range version @ £350 and a 'Contemporary' range @ £499, as well of course as the big money 500/1 62 reissue at £1,200

[b]Epiphone [/b]- currently £210 in my local Dawsons, which I had a look at on Saturday and looks very well finished.

[b]Tanglewood[/b] - RVB2 @ £296

[b]Harley Benton [/b]- (Thomann own brand and I'm guessing pretty nasty at this price) @ £120

[b]Westfield VB960 [/b]- £245

I'd prefer the Hofner name on the headstock, but not at the cost of a better instrument from another maker at the same price point.

Any thoughts/experience greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A

I had one of the Hofner Icon range, which I bought in the US for a good price. It was absolutely fine - not having played a "real" one, I couldn't tell you how it compared, but to my ears it certainly sounded the part, and it definitely looked the part, too. Just looked a bit like a toy on me, though (I'm 6ft 5 and 17 stone!).

I flogged it to someone on BassChat - they could probably give you a better appraisal of it....

The genuine German-made RI (i.e. the £1200 one) feels exactly like what it is - a quality musical instrument hand-built by expert luthiers.

ALL the others (including the Hofner-licensed versions made in the Far East) feel exactly like what they are - reasonable mass-produced basses built down to a price.

Is the German-made Hofner worth maybe six times what the Far Eastern ones are worth?

Depends on your viewpoint.

Seeing as I own P-basses made by Alleva Coppolo and Bravewood (oh, and several vintage Hofners too) it's pretty clear how I feel, but if you're just looking to try out a violin bass to see if it suits you then buy the cheapest. You can always trade up later if you like the look & feel of the thing.

Hi, yes, I have had my Tanglewood Violin Bass, a leftie, since 2003.
It is really good, if a little light.
The neck is a bit like a broomstick but so is the Hofner.
It is a bit neck heavy being semi hollow and the first thing to replace is the strings.
A genuine German built Hofner is a very special piece of kit but pay a lot for the name.
They are now making the Hofner CT series in China but my Tanglewood is a good.
Some of the other Chinese violin basses are rubbish.
One brand which does appeal and is superb is the Rivertone Stradbass.
Not available as a leftie unfortunately.
Rivertone are made in the UK and only available from The Rock Factory.
Check out their website.
If you are a leftie, my Tangle will be for sale after Xmas.[quote name='The Admiral' post='962025' date='Sep 20 2010, 01:47 PM']I really fancy one of these, but, not having the readies for a genuine high spec Hofner, I 'm wondering if anyone in the BC community has experience of any of the budget models?

The options I have found are :

[b]Hofner[/b] 'Ignition' violin bass (I'm guessing a Chinese version from Hofner to compete with the other 'copies' in this price band) @ £208 (Thomann) £240 w/c

There also seems to be an 'Icon' range version @ £350 and a 'Contemporary' range @ £499, as well of course as the big money 500/1 62 reissue at £1,200

[b]Epiphone [/b]- currently £210 in my local Dawsons, which I had a look at on Saturday and looks very well finished.

[b]Tanglewood[/b] - RVB2 @ £296

[b]Harley Benton [/b]- (Thomann own brand and I'm guessing pretty nasty at this price) @ £120

[b]Westfield VB960 [/b]- £245

I'd prefer the Hofner name on the headstock, but not at the cost of a better instrument from another maker at the same price point.

Any thoughts/experience greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A[/quote]

FWIW, the Harley Benton bass was flavour of the month for a while on Basschat's forerunner Bass World. I think they were £99 at the time and quite a few people had them, so they may not be as nasty as you think. Having said that, there's no guessing whether the ones they have now come from the same factory.

Slightly off topic, and I'll start by saying that I am a great believer that anything is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it....... but............. I never understand why anyone bids so much for some items - viz, this Harley Benton Violin Bass, which went for £87 + £15.00 in courier costs - so £102 in total. You can buy a new one from Thomann, with a 3 year warranty from the retailer, and use your credit card for the consumer protection aspects, for £124 delivered!

Fair play to the seller - he must be chuffed. If only we could all do so well when selling on eBay.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250698472954&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

I bought a LE marquis violin bass on ebay a few years ago for about £120 or so (including a decent hard case) Its a pretty good bass, as it happens. Solid body, so no neck dive, nice neck, nicely fretted and quite well built and finished. It was my main gigging bass for a while, despite me owning a 78 precision!

I think it came Sono Music Supplies.

(edit) I've just looked and they are still selling them on there, but the price has gone up a bit.

Edited by 4-string-thing

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='967947' date='Sep 25 2010, 08:31 PM']I bought a LE marquis violin bass on ebay a few years ago for about £120 or so (including a decent hard case) Its a pretty good bass, as it happens. Solid body, so no neck dive, nice neck, nicely fretted and quite well built and finished. It was my main gigging bass for a while, despite me owning a 78 precision!

I think it came Sono Music Supplies.

(edit) I've just looked and they are still selling them on there, but the price has gone up a bit.[/quote]

This Le Marquis bass:

looks quite similar to this gear4music bass.

The Harley Benton violin bass:

looks quite similar to the Shine violin bass.

Edited by Annoying Twit

I bought a secondhand Hofner Contemporary Violin Bass recently -and love it!!.

I don't think the tonal range is anything to write home about but it supposedly has a sustain block so it sounds more modern and does not have the thuddy tone of the other violin basses. I find it easy to play and it is my main gigging bass -plus it has Hofner written on the head. Neck dive is not a problem. i just have to change the strings though they are not too bad as they are.

Now to sort out a decent amp.....there's always something isn't there!!

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='968217' date='Sep 26 2010, 11:01 AM']This Le Marquis bass:

looks quite similar to this gear4music bass.

The Harley Benton violin bass:

looks quite similar to the Shine violin bass.

[/quote]

Here's the one I bought, not seen anyone else selling them though...

Edited by 4-string-thing

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='969948' date='Sep 27 2010, 07:52 PM']Here's the one I bought, not seen anytone else selling them though...[/quote]

I remember posting that advert on here, many moons ago. The bass looks like the Shine. I did try to buy a Shine violin bass off someone here, but we just couldn't synchronise timetables for me to go and buy it. It does look a reasonable chunk of bass for the current cost.

These Rivertone Stradobasses are amazing, a friend has one.
The pickups are wicked and the build quality is absoulutley top notch.
They are each handmade with the wood of your choice used.
The prices have shot up though, as they are all made by one person, a guy called John.
Now about £900 with a six month waiting list.
He also makes a leftie at no extra cost.
See The Rock Factory website.

[quote name='The Admiral' post='971084' date='Sep 28 2010, 07:57 PM']and now available at 30% off apparently - £102. Very tempting!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350351117014&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...atchlink:top:en[/url][/quote]

It is a pretty good bass for that price, I like the black one though, because it's a bit more unusual looking....