Why become a member? ×

where do all the basses go?

LukeFRC

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='104823' date='Dec 16 2007, 01:08 AM']Didn't your mother tell you guys? Obviously the good ones end up in Bass Guitar Heaven like these lot, and play Spinal Tap's Big Bottom forevermore.

[/quote]

I got to play that Alembic Stanley Clarke with the Bigsby trem on the right of the picture a while back... I was in The Gallery, and the guy who'd won it in the auction of all Entwistle's stuff brought it in to get it looked at. Awesome bass... very skinny neck and tight string spacing though. It's kinda weird seeing an old pic of The Ox and being able to say, "I've played that bass"... :)

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='104981' date='Dec 16 2007, 05:32 PM'][b]i wonder how many basses we own collectively!!! must be quite a few[/b][u][/u]

Hey mods, that would be cool to know. You guys must have some black magic that we can use to work this out.

S[/quote]

Could do a poll, work out the average basses owned by each voter and multiply that by however many members there are?

[quote name='ARGH' post='104745' date='Dec 15 2007, 07:51 PM']yeah....
And the thing is, I know thats true....

So where do all the Washburn Status's go Dave?[/quote]

Interesting question, that one... You see a couple every now & again on statii.com, but there must be a lot more around.

But then again, they weren't that good. Better off saving up for the real thing!

[quote name='SJA' post='104902' date='Dec 16 2007, 12:46 PM']is that a see-through P-bass behind the Alembic?
wonder what happened to that one.[/quote]
In the mid 1980's about 20 or so of John Entwistle's basses were on sale in the Bass Centre (at Wapping, upstairs). I tried some of them out but I didn't think they were very good examples. They included this plastic precision which was way too heavy, a Gibson EB1 Violin bass with bad action and a tree trunk for a neck and a 50's blond, slab bodied Fender Precision which had weak pickups and a very woolly sound. I suppose they disappeared into another collection. They certainly weren't good enough to gig with as they were.

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='104981' date='Dec 16 2007, 05:32 PM'][b]i wonder how many basses we own collectively!!! must be quite a few[/b][u][/u]

Hey mods, that would be cool to know. You guys must have some black magic that we can use to work this out.

S[/quote]

lets give it a go,,

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9991"]get counting![/url]

[quote name='ARGH' post='104745' date='Dec 15 2007, 07:51 PM']So where do all the Washburn Status's go Dave?[/quote]
There was one in PMT a few weeks ago. I picked it up and played a couple of notes and put it straight back down. I've never encountered a bass with no sustain whatsoever before, not even with ten-year-old strings on. Were they all that bad?