Why become a member? ×

MXR M80 V.S Sansamp BDDI

BT!

I've had both, I prefer the MXR, still got it, still use it. Love the "colour" switch. Love the sounds it gives. I've used it to DI straight to teh board without my rig (one gig only!) and it was very very good.

Both really good preamps and ultimately a matter of personal choice. I chose the MXR over the Tech21 as as the flat setting didn't alter my tone at all whereas the BDDI has a preset mid scoop. Having the mid control on the MXR was another factor in my decision. When using rehearsal studios I just DI into the PA with my M80 rather than hump my rig around or use (or hire) their crappy backline. Another option, if you can find one, is the Tech21 Paradriver which has mid control.

I used to have a BDDI, but later changed to the MXR. I find the MXR more useful because of the two channels. You can set them as one for clean tone and one for distortion, one for normal tone and the other with the 'color' button, can have the second channel set as a mid boost or a volume boost etc.

The Sansamp to me really got lost in the mix because of the mid scoop. I also didnt like the drive from it, wasnt very aggressive at all which is what I like.

Had both also, DI'd into large PAs and infront of my rig. I loved the BDDI, and used it for many years. Then I discovered the MXR80.

Now I only use the MXR, and have sold the BDDI. I echo most of the above comments. If I were to choose again it would DEF be the MXR.

Edited by Badass

Not really much for me to add, I really agree with everything said above about the M-80, great pedal. I've been using mine for over a year now and I think it's fantastic. Really has become an aways on pedal with me as a pre-amp and having a fully switchable distortion channel is a massive plus over the Sansamp in opinion.

[quote name='Badass' post='929429' date='Aug 19 2010, 09:42 AM']Had both also, DI'd into large PAs and infront of my rig. I loved the BDDI, and used it for many years. Then I discovered the MXR80.

Now I only use the MXR, and have sold the BDDI. I echo most of the above comments. If I were to choose again it would DEF be the MXR.[/quote]

oooh I must check this out. I have the Sanamp and love it, but MXR have great rep for very interested myself. Parallel out means you can give the desk a good FOH sound and still play with your bass sound on your amp to your hearts content :-).. The Sansamp always did better than the DI out of most amps.. so the MXR.. hmmm nice

Edited by algmusic

[quote name='BT!' post='929972' date='Aug 19 2010, 04:16 PM']the mxr seems to be everyones choice. it looks good but i do wonder if id actually use the distortion on it.

although its a good 30-40 quid cheaper than the sansamp from a quick google search[/quote]

I do not use the distortion on it. It's ok to add some tube 'hair' to your tone but that's it (and I'm not into that). Not great as a proper distortion.

I love the color switch too btw, as someone said.

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried both and like most here chose the MXR. Good clean DI and I like the distortion for occasional use. The EQ works well for getting the tone right for the room.

Unlike most people though I don't like the colour button. Yes it fattens up the tone but for me it adds too much of a mid scoop.