Why become a member? ×

Hadrien Feraud licks

Joebass

Hi guys,
I thought I'd share some Hadrien feraud licks I've been working on. They are from this video: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYPLJn6-xoQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYPLJn6-xoQ[/url]

Scary stuff.

[attachment=56970:Hadrien_...cks_0001.png]
[attachment=56971:Hadrien_...cks_0002.png]

The scary thing is how effortlessly he does it all. I can't even begin to imagine what kind of things he struggles with.

Whilst he gets noticed for his technique a lot, his note choice is what I find most interesting in his playing. So these sheets will come in handy :)

Thanks for sharing!

[quote name='Faithless' post='932246' date='Aug 21 2010, 08:51 PM']I'd die for seeing him singing along to his lines.. :)

As technical as it is, after hearing cats like Janek, Hadrien's stuff doesn't smell very much music..[/quote]

Hadrien's lines are much more original in my opinion. I love Gwizdala's playing a lot but he seems to recycle a lot of Metheny lines which gets on my nerves a little bit sometimes. I rate Feraud a lot more as a technician on the instrument and as an improviser.

Just my opinion though, of course. I respect both guys and support what they're doing.

[quote name='Faithless' post='932246' date='Aug 21 2010, 08:51 PM']I'd die for seeing him singing along to his lines.. :)

As technical as it is, after hearing cats like Janek, Hadrien's stuff doesn't smell very much music..[/quote]

Remember that it's "music" defined as "what music smells like to you". You can tell me to bugger off if you want but I think music is defined by the individual. Sure we all have a similar view of it, but around the fringes it becomes very subjective. At the end of the day music is what it means to you, both as a word and in it's physical form.

Of the two players, I've heard much more of Janek and have been a regular reader of his columns/listener of his podcasts. It's no surprise that I prefer Janek when I've got an insight into his take on playing. Despite this, I dig Hadrien, although I've not heard enough of him to tell for sure. His technique is formidable to the point of being slightly off-putting to some, but he still plays like a bass player (albeit a bass player on speed). Most of the videos I've seen of him have been at conferences/clinics/other functions where it benefits him to play his chops out, especially as a young player making a name for himself in a very competitive scene. The videos I've seen of him have been a little chops-heavy, but he does have great harmonic sense, and I bet he can groove like a beast when he needs to.

Really we're nitpicking, as both are at the top of the pile.

[quote]Hadrien's lines are much more original in my opinion.[/quote]

I agree - Hadrien has some really interesting ideas, regardless of chops. It's those ideas that are coming into fruition in my opinion, and moving him in his own direction, and away from being a 'turbo charged Jaco'. And he's still got decades ahead of him.

I love Janek's playing too. His phrasing and tone are fantastic. He's much more of an 'inside'/tonal player to me. Hadrien can get pretty out there when he wants.

Both are great :)

I think that Hadrien Feraud has possibly the best right hand technique of anyone right now(well... maybe Matt
Garrison),but he has a long way to go musically. Don't get me wrong,he plays some great stuff but I find him
hard to listen to for extended periods because of the constant onslaught of rapid fire notes. I bought his solo
album and saw him at Bass Day and was impressed for about 5 minutes,before wanting to hear something more
melodic.

While I really don't underrate Hadrien and his amazing technique, I have to agree with Doddy - in a long run, I can't listen to him for the same reasons - a great player should have something more to say, than non-stop tirade of notes and symmetrical scales..

And, even more, I've seen him live, but,interestingly, not being a front-man - he was comping for Billy Cobham band - and while he soloed like mad, his 'regular bass' playing, or comping, was far from memorable..

And, if you want to compare him with Janek, well then.. I think their credits/positions in the industry speak for themselves - Janek hits NY, has some major jazz gigs there (Mike Stern, Bob Reynolds, Brecker(?), so on.. ), leads his on band with two very good live records so far (the third, studio one, is coming this year maybe..) does varies studio work, works as an MD for a few pop acts, not forgetting that right now he's doing a major USA tour with VV for the whole year..

And, Hadrien? Ghhhm... I can't tell anything major he does apart his solo stuff, maybe a temporary Chick Korea gig. Billy Cobham gig? I don't know.. Oh, and he was fired from McLaughlin's band, right.

[quote name='Faithless' post='932815' date='Aug 22 2010, 03:22 PM']While I really don't underrate Hadrien and his amazing technique, I have to agree with Doddy - in a long run, I can't listen to him for the same reasons - a great player should have something more to say, than non-stop tirade of notes and symmetrical scales..

And, even more, I've seen him live, but,interestingly, not being a front-man - he was comping for Billy Cobham band - and while he soloed like mad, his 'regular bass' playing, or comping, was far from memorable..

And, if you want to compare him with Janek, well then.. I think their credits/positions in the industry speak for themselves - Janek hits NY, has some major jazz gigs there (Mike Stern, Bob Reynolds, Brecker(?), so on.. ), leads his on band with two very good live records so far (the third, studio one, is coming this year maybe..) does varies studio work, works as an MD for a few pop acts, not forgetting that right now he's doing a major USA tour with VV for the whole year..

And, Hadrien? Ghhhm... I can't tell anything major he does apart his solo stuff, maybe a temporary Chick Korea gig. Billy Cobham gig? I don't know.. Oh, and he was fired from McLaughlin's band, right.[/quote]

You're being remarkably unfair - I get that you love Janek, but poor Fero doesn't deserve that sort of insulting dismissal. I doubt Hadrien was "fired" from McLaughlin's band, as you put it. Personnel changes for all sorts of reasons and given McLaughlin's new project has Christian McBride on bass, it might well be stylistic choice. I dig wearing jeans, and they're a great item of clothing, but I wouldn't wear them with as part of a suit.

Their positions in the industry don't speak for themselves. At all. Hadrien is pursuing a solo career, and is happy to push on with his neo-jaco fusion style, whilst Janek (although also enjoying a solo career) does the sideman stuff. Janek is also a talented producer, keys player (amongst other instruments) and arranger, which lands him a lot of jobs in that sense. Hadrien just doesn't seem to be that oriented towards doing sessions for pop acts, or many other acts at all, which is his choice. It doesn't imply anything about his standard of playing - why should he have to play sessions to prove anything to you? He's just a different sort of player, not to everyone's individual taste, who goes about his career in a different way to Janek.

Err, well, you're probably right about me going away from playing, but it somehow caught me,sorry..

But, wattabout McLaughin thing, he was fired in a proper sense.. McLaughin complained a lot about his volume on-stage, but it didn't make sense for Hadrien, and Gary Husband was dissapointed about his, let's say, approach to bass playing/comping, saying that Hadrien lacks 'thinking of bass player'.. Something like that, there was a whole thread about that accident on TB, and there are letters from John and Gary, you can google it, if you want..

Edited by Faithless

I really don't think you can compare the 2 players. They both have completely different styles and different approaches to the industry.

Faithless, I know you're a big fan of Janek, I've seen you post a lot about him. I don't have a problem with that but in this case, I think you're being a bit unfair.

Both Janek and Hadrien are great players but they're so different, I'd say it's almost unfair to compare the two. Especially bringing in the whole McLaughlin dismissal situation. I won't deny that I personally think Hadrien was the wrong bass player for that job, but I don't think Janek has been in a situation where he hasn't been right for the job.

This isn't a personal attack :rolleyes:, nor is it an attack on either of the bass players we're talking about, but I think you have to think about what each of them is good at, there's no need to dismiss Feraud in the way you did it, I don't think that was really called for. A man of Janek's calibre doesn't need you to defend him on the internet :o!

I think both players have found their own voice which in my opinion is the most important thing.

But, alas, everyone has their own opinion.

EDIT: Just a quick thanks to the OP for sharing the transcriptions and sorry for taking this thread in the direction I did :). Perhaps I should have kept my opinion to myself in this case :lol:

Edited by gnasher1993

• 1 year later...