Why become a member? ×

Boss TU2 vs Korg Rackmountable Tuners

Scowley

Right, i've had a TU2 since forever, and it's great but i have space in my rack and i'm considering a rackmountable tuner. Korg are the ones I always see about, so i presume they're the best. I've seen a few Behringers too but, well, I'd rather not!

What i basically want to know is, are these Korg tuners more accurate than the TU2 or is there little to no difference? I'm not overly fussed about any fancy modes, just accuracy. Also, i've seen Korg do the DTR1000 and 2000, but is the only advantage of the 2000 the few extra features it has, surely it can't be any more accurate? Sorry if i sound naive.

Also, what's the going rate/good price for second hand ones?

Thanks!

For what it's worth I have both a TU2 and a Korg DTR 2000 rackmount tuner and in my view the Korg knocks spots off the Boss. The Boss does that waver around a lot where it either doesn't respond to the note OR doesn't pick up on the key (floats around A, D etc when fine tuning the E)

The Korg on the other hand is perfect. Also the Mute function is great.

Only my opinion but Korg for me everytime
Andy

• 2 weeks later...

i have the korg 1000 and its good, not perfect but very good. ive used my guitarists boss tuner and i find it alot more awkward to use and harder to pick up low notes.. low b it has alot of trouble with but that might not affect you either way. if you find one second hand id definately go for it.

[quote name='Bassmonkey' post='930610' date='Aug 20 2010, 09:29 AM']For what it's worth I have both a TU2 and a Korg DTR 2000 rackmount tuner and in my view the Korg knocks spots off the Boss. The Boss does that waver around a lot where it either doesn't respond to the note OR doesn't pick up on the key (floats around A, D etc when fine tuning the E)

The Korg on the other hand is perfect. Also the Mute function is great.

Only my opinion but Korg for me everytime
Andy[/quote]

I could have written this exactly! ^^^^What he says! I am really impressed with the TC Electronics Polytune too, much better than the TU2 as a stompbox tuner.

When I gig my small rig, I take the TU2 with me but always end up using the Polytune app on my iPhone as it's much faster; obviously I can't do that between songs but I find the TU2 faffs about a lot before deciding what it's doing for you.

Edited by Sean

I used to have a rack tuner (someone gave me one when they upgraded) and there were a few things I didn't like about it. Firstly, I don't really want the audience to watch me tune up. Secondly, because my gear is behind me, it means I have to turn my back on the audience to tune up. If you have a mic on stage you'll probably want to use it while you're tuning up and you can't do that with a rack tuner. Finally it just seems like a lot of space to take up with a tuner.