Why become a member? ×

Are You a Bass Snob?

merello

As for cheaper basses, I've had a few and they've been alright. A Squier Classic Vibe jazz that I sold after a week (it was lovely but I'd never have used it) punched well above its weight, and had a fretted jazz been what I was really after, would have lasted quite well in the collection. However, I prefer to have something a little better these days and that costs!

some interesting posts trying to define snob

I love having fenders, could play a squire, but don't (have done)

However I think i would only be a "snob" if I judged others by what gear they have, which I don't

The singer in one band I play with plays copy guitars and after a gig once, someone made a comment about it along with something about his footwear, this guy was a snob / fashion victim or whatever, Id rather play and be friends with people who where themselves, than a tosser who is going to judge someone by their clothes or make of gear

Also I never played an instrument that cost more than I could afford at various stages of my life, Id hate to think of young non professional players buying instruments that cost more than they can afford, just because they feel they maybe judged on the make

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' post='930220' date='Aug 19 2010, 07:54 PM']The singer in one band I play with plays copy guitars and after a gig once, someone made a comment about it along with something about his footwear, this guy was a snob / fashion victim or whatever, Id rather play and be friends with people who where themselves, than a tosser who is going to judge someone by their clothes or make of gear[/quote]

Haha. Our guitarist/singer mostly plays an old Antoria Tele Thinline copy and I remember one gig he hadn't washed for a week because his boiler was knackered, so god knows what people think of us.

The other day he was talking about buying a boat to live on that doesn't actually have a bathroom, so we might be doing more gigs like that.

Edited by thisnameistaken

Strange how the snob thing rubs off on people too. I once had someone approach me after a gig to tell me how much he enjoyed the band, but that really I should try to save and buy a Fender. I just smiled knowingly and disregarded everything he'd just said. I was playing my Wal Custom at the time. I've heard other folks have similar experiences.

[quote name='Bigwan' post='930587' date='Aug 20 2010, 09:10 AM']Strange how the snob thing rubs off on people too. I once had someone approach me after a gig to tell me how much he enjoyed the band, but that really I should try to save and buy a Fender. I just smiled knowingly and disregarded everything he'd just said. I was playing my Wal Custom at the time. I've heard other folks have similar experiences.[/quote]

:) :rolleyes: :lol:

[quote name='Bigwan' post='930587' date='Aug 20 2010, 09:10 AM']Strange how the snob thing rubs off on people too. I once had someone approach me after a gig to tell me how much he enjoyed the band, but that really I should try to save and buy a Fender. I just smiled knowingly and disregarded everything he'd just said. I was playing my Wal Custom at the time. I've heard other folks have similar experiences.[/quote]
Get rid of that heap of sh*t mate and buy a Fender! :)

Its telling he assumed you needed to save to buy a fender, perhaps you could afford to buy 1000 fenders but don't want one

Seeing others play id only comment on their gear if I was interested in what/how/why from there perspective, you don't go to see a band to tell them what to own/play or wear, there really are some knobs out there

Edited by lojo

The flaw to this thread is what YOU percive as expensive, How many times have you read (sorry if this is you) I own lots of very high end basses one of them over £1000! etc. When I was 15 a £1000 bass would of sounded like the most expensive guitar I ever heard of but now Im err, a little bit older £1000 is more middle ground and a quarter of what you would have to pay to play what some people are playing on this site.

Its all relative as they say.........

I think it's easy to let figures go to your head in the bass world. If you saw a Wal mk 2 for sale for for £1000 you'd think it was a bargain and would likely buy it there and then. However, thats a serious amount of cash - enough to buy a decent old sporty car and put it on the road, enough to pay for weeks and weeks of food etc etc.

Despite the fact I've now got more money than ever to spend on playing bass, I accept that it's just a small hobby of mine and in the past I've let it command far too much of my money.

I just put this in another thread and realised it actually fits in here too so I have copied it in here;

I did a gig recently and the first band on were a group of young know it all dudes ,The bass player is a Fender and big EBS rig guy but Im pretty sure they all thought my pre EB was a cheapo EBMM copy! It wasnt until it turned out one of their mates was a fellow MM fan and came over after our set to see a Real ( If a pre is "real" whats an EB now?) Muiscman as he had never seen one in the flesh and spotted the original logo from a distance! They didnt look so smug after!

Im not a snob as such but you have got to bow down before a pre EB! :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='931232' date='Aug 20 2010, 06:47 PM']I just put this in another thread and realised it actually fits in here too so I have copied it in here;

I did a gig recently and the first band on were a group of young know it all dudes ,The bass player is a Fender and big EBS rig guy but Im pretty sure they all thought my pre EB was a cheapo EBMM copy! It wasnt until it turned out one of their mates was a fellow MM fan and came over after our set to see a Real ( If a pre is "real" whats an EB now?) Muiscman as he had never seen one in the flesh and spotted the original logo from a distance! They didnt look so smug after!

Im not a snob as such but you have got to bow down before a pre EB! :)[/quote]Amen brother.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='931253' date='Aug 20 2010, 07:10 PM']I live in a multi faith house so this time I will let you off! :rolleyes:[/quote]

hahaha! Sorry man, its not my cup of tea :) however this is probably my favourite looking one [url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedpb4.htm"]http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedpb4.htm[/url]

Each to their own and all that,Thats a good looking P in the linky.I am concidering taking the P plunge very soon maybe even a cheap squier later tonight off the bay just to see how I get on with a passive as its been many years since I went active.I could pop a pup in it if I like it and a pre amp if I dont although it seams to be a bit of a taboo to go for an active P?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='931369' date='Aug 20 2010, 08:55 PM']Each to their own and all that,Thats a good looking P in the linky.I am concidering taking the P plunge very soon maybe even a cheap squier later tonight off the bay just to see how I get on with a passive as its been many years since I went active.I could pop a pup in it if I like it and a pre amp if I dont although it seams to be a bit of a taboo to go for an active P?[/quote]

'although it seams to be a bit of a taboo to go for an active P?' Haha i doubt that you would be able to get a massive significance in the change of sound, i don't know, i am inexperienced in these areas so don't listen to me :)

To put my cards on the table.
I honestly got into bass because of JJ Burnel.

I can't think of anything more sleazy (and nice) than the black P-bass with maple neck getting played by the low end ninja in his leather jacket. (I know he's moved on to Shuker!) Trouble is, I love the growl of a P-bass but I find the one's I'ver had or played inconsistent. I also feel the width is too wide so I prefer the Jazz board. After JJ, I heard Jaco and the game endeth. If you asked me for my favourite bass sounds they would be:
[i]The Raven - Stranglers
Jaco on Shadows and Light live
A lot of Geddy Lee stuff such as Freewill[/i]
So basically, this is a nice fishing thread to see everyone's opinions on the merits of the legendery plank!

[quote name='HoweDy' post='931373' date='Aug 20 2010, 09:03 PM']'although it seams to be a bit of a taboo to go for an active P?' Haha i doubt that you would be able to get a massive significance in the change of sound, i don't know, i am inexperienced in these areas so don't listen to me :)[/quote]
Well the scope between one end of the pre amp and the other is massive and in some peoples eyes can ruin the natural tone which after all there is not a lot to a P bass, On the other hand my active jazz may not sound anything like a normal passive jazz anymore but does sound very good so what does it matter? Just seams a lot more guarded on a P where its more of a free for all on a jazz,IME. Not that it would stop me anyway,Ha

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='931185' date='Aug 20 2010, 06:05 PM']The flaw to this thread is what YOU percive as expensive, How many times have you read (sorry if this is you) I own lots of very high end basses one of them over £1000! etc. When I was 15 a £1000 bass would of sounded like the most expensive guitar I ever heard of but now Im err, a little bit older £1000 is more middle ground and a quarter of what you would have to pay to play what some people are playing on this site.

Its all relative as they say.........[/quote]

This is true, very subjective, but also you can have expensive basses (or things) and not be a snob, or have very little money and be one

A snob to me is an attitude towards others and not related to what you personally own or have achieved

I see this all the time in my line of work

[quote name='merello' post='931393' date='Aug 20 2010, 09:26 PM']To put my cards on the table.
I honestly got into bass because of JJ Burnel.[/quote]

I love JJs early stuff, even got nice n sleazy into the set of both covers bands I play with, but we rarely play it as most the punters are puzzled by it (expect the arms folded old guys, who love it, but show no emotion at the time, you know the ones)

You should never judge by what you see anyway,I drive a Morris minor and get lots of waves off other classics yet when a Morgan or Bentley goes by they look the other way,They do not know what other cars I might have at home? If I won the lottery I would still use the moggy as a run about to keep the Ferraris dry when its raining! (i.e the same as taking my Squier Jazz to gigs where a fight usually kicks off!).

Even if you are a snob there is always someone with better gear than you anyway..........