Why become a member? ×

Insuring my gear!

Jono Bolton

I use Musicguard.
No claims yet thankfully but they seem pretty good.

One other important point. If you're gigging it makes sense to also have public liability insurance which is inclued I think. Insurance is very un rock 'n roll I know but if someone was injured at a gig due to you or your gear, eg tripping over a lead and sued it could cost you your house! Plus some booking agents and venues insist on it.

To insure about £2k worth of stuff all risks plus PL insurance costs me about £60 a year.

If you are an MU member, you can get [i]completely free[/i] a grand's worth of kit cover, plus 10 million quids' worth of public liability cover. Of course there are certain limitations to the free kit cover, but even so, it's better than a smack in the head.
On top of the free £1000, you can also get additional cover at preferential rates through an affiliated insurance company, [url="http://www.hencilla.co.uk/"]Hencilla Canworth[/url]. I filled in their online quote form, & have been quoted roughly £120 a year for £6000-worth of gear cover. This includes cover whilst in an unattended vehicle, provision of hire instruments during repair, depreciation compensation following repairs, and other stuff. I am just waiting for a formal written quote to arrive.
Ten quid a month? It's a no-brainer really.

[quote name='jono b' post='103976' date='Dec 13 2007, 05:38 PM']Just went to get a quote, £81 for a year, includes breakdown cover, in vehicle cover, covered if I'm away from the insured location, EU cover for when my band goes away, no £250 excess AND public liability too. Not bad, methinks :)[/quote]

Go for it. is that with Musicguard?

[quote name='lonestar' post='103980' date='Dec 13 2007, 05:49 PM']Go for it. is that with Musicguard?[/quote]

Yep. No where near as bad as I thought it was going to be. And even if I do it via monthly direct debit with the extra interest, its under £100. At less than a tenner a month I'd be stupid not too.