Why become a member? ×

Jaco Pastorius Tribute Bass - For Sale !!

Shonks

Jaco Pastorius Tribute bass,

I seemed to have caused quite a heated debate with this bass!

I'm not up to anything dodgy - and have been told by Bass Chat members ( see below) it don't match
with any Fender product out there.

for anyone who's not sure, as I was at first - this is it!!..........
It just so happens this is a genuine USA made Fender with vintage quality parts, and matches the
Fender spec for the Tribute Series.
It has a Tribute series serial neck plate and number, and comes with the certificate of authenticity.
Everything about this bass is right.
The relic job on it may or may not have been a DIY job. Personally, I don't think its as tacky as the custom shop job.
This is not the £3000 custom shop bass!! :)
This is the £1500 Tribute bass :lol:
a wicked bass to play, and a wicked sound

and that's that!!

comes with all the stuff Fender supply with this bass...ashtrays, individual string mutes, thumb rest, rubber sticky thingy that sticks on under the bridge cover.
Has the long stemmed reverse gear machine heads, vintage bridge, copper plate shielding, textile covered wires under the control plate,
vintage 60's pickups, knurled 60's flat top P bass knobs.
Originally strung with Fender tape wound strings which are still in the case.
The case is a 60's retro USA made Fender case including the keys.the sale is back on,
I want £900 for it

thanks for reading all this - now read all the posts here - have a larf! :rolleyes:

Edited by Shonks

does it have a Custom Shop logo anywhere? Or a Certificate of Authenticity?

Just wondering...the relic'ing looks a bit too light to be the Tribute.

[url="http://www.infographic.com/fender/detail.php?FenderPN=0196108"]http://www.infographic.com/fender/detail.p...enderPN=0196108[/url]

Happy to be wrong. Just thinking aloud.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='923220' date='Aug 12 2010, 09:16 PM']does it have a Custom Shop logo anywhere? Or a Certificate of Authenticity?

Just wondering...the relic'ing looks a bit too light to be the Tribute.

[url="http://www.infographic.com/fender/detail.php?FenderPN=0196108"]http://www.infographic.com/fender/detail.p...enderPN=0196108[/url]

Happy to be wrong. Just thinking aloud.[/quote]

it's the real thing, although not the CS come and check it out!

Edited by Shonks

[quote name='Beedster' post='923260' date='Aug 12 2010, 09:52 PM']Those pics are not of the Custom Shop Jaco Bass, have you posted the wrong attachments?

C[/quote]
if its not, what do you reckon it is then? It was a swap and I was told convincingly it was genuine.
its got everything i said in the adds descrpition

[quote name='Shonks' post='923295' date='Aug 12 2010, 10:33 PM']if its not, what do you reckon it is then? It was a swap and I was told convincingly it was genuine.
its got everything i said in the adds descrpition[/quote]

PM'd mate

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='923260' date='Aug 12 2010, 09:52 PM']Those pics are not of the Custom Shop Jaco Bass, have you posted the wrong attachments?

C[/quote]

I tend to agree with you Chris. The colour doesn't look correct to me, and they usually have a *lot* of relicing on the back and on the forearm contour. I've only seen one of the tributes up close, but I'm pretty sure it didn't have a signature on the neckplate (it also has a black case, and not the tan one). I suppose there could be a wide variation in finishes between them...

[quote name='Shonks' post='923315' date='Aug 12 2010, 10:49 PM']PM;d? sorry, whats that??[/quote]

If you click the 'New Massages' icon in the top right hand corner of your screen you'll find I've sent you a message explaining my post above and offering you help in case you have recently acquired the bass through either BC or eBay. As I'm guessing that between us we've kinda let the cat out of the bag, that is certainly not the CS Relic model (as has been pointed out by a few other members) and may not be the MIA Tribute model, although the latter is a possibility. Please get in touch, or reply here, if you need any further info or help

Chris

and i quote from the seller:
" I spoke with a guy with bass center and he said they only made a few Tribute basses, thats why the serial starts with a 'T'. its def real, but not a custom shop, as they are much more expensive.

Edited by Shonks

[quote name='BB2000' post='923321' date='Aug 12 2010, 10:54 PM']I tend to agree with you Chris. The colour doesn't look correct to me, and they usually have a *lot* of relicing on the back and on the forearm contour. I've only seen one of the tributes up close, but I'm pretty sure it didn't have a signature on the neckplate (it also has a black case, and not the tan one). I suppose there could be a wide variation in finishes between them...[/quote]

+1, the CS model is a totally different kettle of fish to the pics above John (and I should know, to my cost!)

C

[quote name='Shonks' post='923337' date='Aug 12 2010, 11:08 PM']and i quote from the seller:
" I spoke with a guy with bass center and he said they only made a few Tribute basses, thats why the serial satrys with a 'T'. its def real, but not a custom shop, as they are much more expensive.[/quote]

Mmm, that was quick! OK, so if it's the MIA Tribute you're looking at a pretty beaten up version of it, so it would probably sell for about £700-750 if the PUPs etc are original (the 'relicing' isn't)

Good luck

C

PS you might want to edit the title

[quote name='SpinalTap' post='923341' date='Aug 12 2010, 11:11 PM']Before the CS version, Bass Central made in collebaration with Fender and Kevin Kaufman (Jaco's Luthier)
This could be one of those, althrough I don't know how how they exactly look.[/quote]

You'd have to hope they'd have done a better job?

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='923347' date='Aug 12 2010, 11:17 PM']It's just the USA Artist model.

The Scratches/Distressing are poorly applied/done.

Someone has been mislead here.

Hope we weren't being...[/quote]

Let's put it down to the old Custom Shop/MIA & Relic/Artist confusion that sometimes appears eh mate :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='923348' date='Aug 12 2010, 11:18 PM']You'd have to hope they'd have done a better job?[/quote]

This is starting to turn very quickly...

Lot's of different stories, starting to make no sense.

Still a USA Artist model with scratches on it.

[quote name='Beedster' post='923354' date='Aug 12 2010, 11:23 PM']Yep[/quote]

Well, I'm glad for the seller that it's an Artist, which is still a very sought after bass.

We've all seen relicing jobs worse that this, although in this case I think it'd look a lot better with some more relicing to cover up this half hearted attempt!

Good luck with the sale.

well, Ive certainly caused a bit of a debate with this one!!

I believe my seller. He's a great bass player and seemed a good guy.
If Ive been duped, then so was he I think.

however, according to him, he took it to the bass center, and a a guy called Chris
assured him this is a genuine Tribute bass but not the custom shop version.

It is a discontinued cheaper relic version of the CS which originally sold here in the UK
for around £1600.

Apart from all this, the bass sounds fantastic, and plays like a vintage Fender should.
Has quite a hi output, and an unmistakable organic sound.
It's one thing to have Jaco's sound, but to have his technique would help too.............lol!!

Thanks for all your comments, very much appreciated!!

Its still up for grabs, but not at £400 - sorry folks!!

[quote name='Shonks' post='923379' date='Aug 12 2010, 11:50 PM']If Ive been duped, then so was he I think.[/quote]

Yup

[quote name='Shonks' post='923379' date='Aug 12 2010, 11:50 PM']however, according to him, he took it to the bass center, and a a guy called Chris
assured him this is a genuine Tribute bass but not the custom shop version.[/quote]

That 'version' has never and doesn't exist.

[quote name='Shonks' post='923379' date='Aug 12 2010, 11:50 PM']It is a discontinued cheaper relic version of the CS which originally sold here in the UK
for around £1600.

Its still up for grabs, but not at £400 - sorry folks!![/quote]

£400 for a Fugazi needing a refin is just about right. The non damaged USA Artist versions fetch £650 - £800; a decent 3 colour burst nitro refin is £200 - £400 depending where you go.

The hardware has also been scratched up.

Shonks, i'm not trying to destroy your thread, but i think a few of the guys on here (myslef included) feel like we're being led down the path a bit. We've had 3 different product descriptions over the course of an evening. As well as a few Sketchy changes in it's history.

[b]I suggest a Mod closes this thread[/b] - and Shonks relist it for his mate as a rough condition USA Artist 'Jaco' Model for offers around £800?