Why become a member? ×

baritone-ing my tele

chiSEERKIND

Here goes guys...

am in the middle of crafting a new body for my telecaster after it got, ahem, introduced to my patio after a heated argument!

given that i have the hardware already (everything survived apart from the thinline semi-hollow body!), i am now in full on project mode! The prospect of making a baritone "bass VI" type affair is tempting, however, knowledge is limited.

Basically, my main query is, Can I convert the new tele to baritone by using original neck but simply moving the bridge to make it long scale? if so, should i just match the original Bass VI scale? or am i going to need a longer neck and i'm basically barking, even howling up the wrong tree here?

Go Basschatters go!

the 12th fret has to be exactly half way between the nut and the bridge on any bass or guitar, moving the bridge completely messed up the intonation. to make a baritone you would either need to replace the fretboard or the whole neck.... so you'd pretty much have to make a new guitar minus hardware.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='922047' date='Aug 11 2010, 09:43 PM']I say do it anyway. You would have a unique set of notes to play with and could make some really interesting music in the key of B [size=3]⅓[/size].[/quote]

They wouldn't be in key with each other though.

Mate has a pile of thinline hardware from an (entirely justified) angry wife incident, is on the lookout for a new body, its the one with buckers.

I'm building a 30" scale neck for a Strat type guitar (along with all the other projects I'm trying to get done :) ), hopefully giving me something like a Fender bass VI with three pickups, tremolo, 5 way switch and narrow string spacing but tuned an octave lower like a proper bass, hopefully using all the original hardware. It's the only way to go really low but if you're only going baritone I would definitely try heavy strings, it's surprising how low you can go.